Low-tech EMP attack (it gets worser and worser)
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Low-tech EMP attack (it gets worser and worser) within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; As if EMP attack by missile isn't bad enough, it could actually be done by a low-tech BALLOON, for cryin' out loud: "Although the privately-financed ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By sideKahr
  • 2 Post By rstanek
  • 1 Post By Grim Reality
  • 2 Post By TacticalCanuck
  • 1 Post By paraquack

Thread: Low-tech EMP attack (it gets worser and worser)

As if EMP attack by missile isn't bad enough, it could actually be done by a low-tech BALLOON, for cryin' out loud:

"Although the privately-financed Red Bull Stratos project [the balloon lofted daredevil who parachuted from 120,000 feet -ed.] was done only to advance scientific and technological discovery, it inadvertently demonstrated the feasibility of a non-governmental launch of an EMP device. (For comparison to the Stratos 2900-pound [manned] gondola, most thermonuclear weapons in the current United States nuclear inventory have a weight of 300 to 800 pounds.)"

"The damage that could be done by a balloon-launched weapon would be quite considerable. For example, a balloon launched off the coast of New Jersey in the right wind conditions could gain sufficient altitude to put a very damaging EMP over an area extending from south of Washington, D.C. to north of New York City. The number of financial and critical data processing centers in this area would insure the worst national catastrophe since the U.S. Civil War."

Electromagnetic Pulse Balloon Attack - Futurescience.com
    Grim Reality and Michael_Js like this.

I don't worry too much about an EMP. I know that they are hardening the infrastructure against EMO attacks and Coronal mass ejections but I'm sure like most government operations there are cost overruns and it is years behind schedule.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    The government is probably doing something to protect its self ,but surly not for the masses, were on our own....
    Denton and Kauboy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The problem with EMP is not so much the "EMP" itself, but the resulting failure of the electrical utility grid.

The "Powers That Be" now are saying privately that a computer attack (from ANYWHERE) can bring down
    the grid very effectively. The cost of the attack...PENNIES! The results...? Hundreds of millions! And
    the ability to track the culprit is often very difficult. ANDDDD...! It is postulated that an EMP attack via
    nuclear detonation would most likely affect only a PORTION of our electrical supply...but that a computer
    attack (properly delivered) could make it widespread.

Ah well...we now have yet ANOTHER, manifold destiny to ponder...as if we don't have enough already.

I'm becoming amazed at the number of permutations through which disaster can be delivered upon us!

I'm equally amazed that it hasn't happened yet.

And I'm also getting tired.

Where's my Stolichnaya?

Grim
    sideKahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    The government is probably doing something to protect its self ,but surly not for the masses, were on our own....
    The government is far from being about protecting you and what you work for.

Be a good slave and go file your taxes now.
    Chipper and RedLion like this.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCanuck View Post
    The government is far from being about protecting you and what you work for.

Be a good slave and go file your taxes now.
    Yes sir.

Sending up a nuke in a balloon while feasible would take a dang big balloon, maybe too big.
    Many years ago the Russians (and I'm sure they've shared the info) found they could drop
    an ICBM type missile off a ship and have it float pointy end up and then successfully launch
    it out of the ocean. With the advances N. Korea and Iran have had with missiles, they
    could use this type of launch to get a nuke high enough and far enough into the country to
    do what we all fear.
    sideKahr likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

The Japanese attacked the US during WW2 using bomb carrying balloons. Sounds crazy, but look it up. The jet stream usually travels from their part of the globe to the US. Balloons are much more sophisticated now, of course. If a large balloon like the Stratos can carry 2900 lbs to 120,000 feet, a much smaller one should carry a 500 lb nuke up at least that high.

We'd probably detect one coming toward Vancouver, but the problem is compounded by the lack of strategic radar warning stations to cover the southern US. We're blind down there except for the Navy's Aegis cruisers and destroyers.

Sponsored Links