Radio
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Radio

This is a discussion on Radio within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; When SHTF and i become mobile what type of radio is good for a handheld on the go radio .. and is there like a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Radio

Jae

Exclamation Radio

When SHTF and i become mobile what type of radio is good for a handheld on the go radio .. and is there like a certain channel that people usually contact on. or a news station?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

I would really look into ham radio. YOU will not believe the information that you will get.
    hayden likes this.

Jae

I FOUND THIS IS THIS GOOD>>>>..??? http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-Dual-B...ords=ham+radio
    Last edited by Jae; 01-18-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The thing to remember about hand held radios. The will only product about 5w of RF. Thats enough to get you about 15 maybe 20 miles coverage. You can get a Tech HAM licenses and use 2 and 6 meter and some 10 meter bands that will get you out a few hundred miles.

Those hand held radios are designed to communicate with a repeater, if you truly believe that the shit is going to hit a fan and society is going to fall repeaters will go down with the cell networks. So i'd stay away from those. A good 2 meter radio will run you around $200 and its about the size of a cigar box but will need a 12v power source.

There are "prepper" radio nets where people get on once a week or month and talk. There are published unofficial frequencies and times they meet. Get involved in your local HAM club. Check out Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

I carry 2 in my BOB : an AM/FM radio that is crank and solar-powered [Eton] and an AM/FM/Shortwave battery-powered radio [Grundig] : purchased both online for about $100. total : they both work swell for my needs.

I bought one of those. Mainly because of the price and the capabilities. You can do things with this radio that you can't with normal ham handhelds.

Jae

Inceptor, is it a good product or am i better off investing in a expensive one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jae View Post
    Inceptor, is it a good product or am i better off investing in a expensive one?
    It depends on what you want. This is an inexpensive way to get into handhelds. It may not make a difference to you but this radio is ready to accept interops. That is the gov 1st responder frequencies. I have a buddy in a nursing home. I bought him one that was similar so he could get with the ham community in his area. We got our tickets about the same time and both have been involved in ham for a lot of years.

The avg handheld can run into a lot of money. I have 3 handhelds right now and rarely use them because of the coverage. I have a number of mobile units too that do have decent coverage and use one of them as my base unit.

If your goal is to get into entry level ham, this would be the way to start. It works fine and doesn't cost a lot of money. Keep in mind that the max output for a handheld is 5w. But if your intention is for close in communications in an emergency, this will do the job. I bought mine for 2 reasons, the cost and the capabilities. I am not sorry I got mine.

Jae

thank you for the info ... I need some kind of radio to get into this HAM world i think i will purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Jae View Post
    thank you for the info ... I need some kind of radio to get into this HAM world i think i will purchase.
    It's a good start. It's not that hard either to get your technician license. Some like this and some don't. At least you're willing to give it try.

BTW a license is good for 10 yrs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links