What Was Your Prep Of The Day: - Page 846
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What Was Your Prep Of The Day:

This is a discussion on What Was Your Prep Of The Day: within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Random facts I found out today that may be useful. (Let me know if you find evidence to the contrary) - Sucking venom from a ...

Page 846 of 869 FirstFirst ... 346 746 796 836 844 845 846 847 848 856 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,460 of 8688
Like Tree8037Likes

Thread: What Was Your Prep Of The Day:

Random facts I found out today that may be useful.
    (Let me know if you find evidence to the contrary)

- Sucking venom from a bite wound will only do harm. Venom will already be in the bloodstream and your mouth might only add bacteria to the site.
    - If you get lost in the wilderness don’t make finding food your first priority. Most people depending on starting point can survive around a month or more without food. WATER and SHELTER is first priority.( or weapons. I like those)
    - Drinking water straight from a cactus is likely to make you vomit and become dehydrated faster. There is certain cactus that you can extract and filter water from but you have to know how.
    - Moss doesn’t grow on the north side of trees it can grow on any side (sorry if its an obvious one)
    - Just because an animal can eat it doesn’t mean you can. Some things like certain berries and mushrooms can be eaten by some animals but fatal for humans!
    Robie, Deebo and patrioteer like this.

Installed a Vickers Sling and ordered more PMAGS for my new AR.
    MikeTango and StratMaster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Installed a Vickers Sling and ordered more PMAGS for my new AR.
    Let us know how your new sling works out...

Curious to know if the PMAGS you ordered have “the window”? Most of mine don’t, however, just ordered some with to see if they’re worth the added expense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by patrioteer View Post
    Not your normal prep, but I bought several pair of coyote colored cargo pants from a co-worker. We wear the same size pants and he was telling me he purchased 5 pair of lapg tactical pants on clearance a few months back for like $20 a pair. He got them and did not like the material as it was too stiff for his delicate butt. I told him I would give him $50 for all 5 pair and he agreed. They are pretty good pants too, like a poorman's truspec or 511. I am gonna roll up one pair real tight for my go-bag and keep another pair for my get home bag. The other three I will just wear.

I think I got those exact pants. And 5 pairs. They are stiff and noisey, for the first few washed, but I love the fact that they have double knees, and reinforced crotch area.
    Best 20 each I spent. LAPG Operator, or something like that, on sale a few months back.
    Oh, and they are very stain repellant.
    patrioteer likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Started day three of my new job. Been 9 months since my last paycheck and I will enjoy having money again. I will be able to pay off my debts and will have some extra for some preps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    patrioteer and StratMaster like this.
    I have lots of backpacks, but only one back. Better grow more backs then...
    Acts 2:38 "Repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the
    remission of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the holy Ghost."
    "The legs feed the wolf" - Herb Brooks, 1980

Son and I went to the range today. Love spending time with him shooting. He's getting better (and so am I lol). 21 year old that is thinking for himself...gotta love it!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    phrogman and StratMaster like this.

Added some more AA and AAA batteries. Hopefully this weekend I make it out to the range to get some food trigger time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by phrogman View Post
    Added some more AA and AAA batteries.
    Getting tired of spending good money on AA and AAA alkaline batteries only to have a good number of them leak in the unopened packaging.

I usually buy at Sams Club when they’re on sale. Both Duracell and Energizer. The AA’s seem to leak more than the triple A’s. I’ve never had D cells leak. Not even well past the ten year good by date.

Recently splurged and purchased Energizer Lithium AA cells. They perform much better in LED lights and if they don’t leak it’ll be worth the extra money spent.

I never really kept many extra batteries on hand until after riding out Hurricane Rita while living in Southwest Louisiana. But ever since then I’ve maintained a healthy supply.

The leaking batteries have me searching for a better lighting solution. I’ve been having good luck with several lighting devices that use 18650 rechargeable lithium ion cells. My only worry is the 18650 is susceptible to EMP due to the micro voltage control board in each battery. And the chargers also.

I’m way off topic now but still frustrated by leaky batteries!

Let’s see, prep of the day... I assembled our new Royal Berkey water filter! There, the post is relative now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTango View Post
    Getting tired of spending good money on AA and AAA alkaline batteries only to have a good number of them leak in the unopened packaging.

I usually buy at Sams Club when they’re on sale. Both Duracell and Energizer. The AA’s seem to leak more than the triple A’s. I’ve never had D cells leak. Not even well past the ten year good by date.

Recently splurged and purchased Energizer Lithium AA cells. They perform much better in LED lights and if they don’t leak it’ll be worth the extra money spent.

I never really kept many extra batteries on hand until after riding out Hurricane Rita while living in Southwest Louisiana. But ever since then I’ve maintained a healthy supply.

The leaking batteries have me searching for a better lighting solution. I’ve been having good luck with several lighting devices that use 18650 rechargeable lithium ion cells. My only worry is the 18650 is susceptible to EMP due to the micro voltage control board in each battery. And the chargers also.

I’m way off topic now but still frustrated by leaky batteries!

Let’s see, prep of the day... I assembled our new Royal Berkey water filter! There, the post is relative now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have been buying Panasonic Eneloop batteries. I have only been using them for about two years, but so far so good.
    MikeTango likes this.

7 skills we should all know (of course there are more but its a start)
    #1: How to Purify Water
    There are three main methods of making water safe to drink:
    * boiling (water will need to be at a full, rolling boil for at least 5 minutes)
    * chemical purifiers (1 to 2 drops or tablets of iodine, chlorine, potassium permanganate, or halazone per quart of water)
    * store-bought charcoal or ceramic filters
    When looking for a place to gather fresh water, look out for a few context clues. Make sure there are no dead animals nearby, that the plants surrounding the water look healthy, and avoid collecting stagnant water.
    #2: How to Start a Fire without Matches
    And how will you boil water, let alone cook food, stay warm, and keep predatory animals away? With a fire, of course! Matches and fuel-fed lighters will make the job easy, but those man-made conveniences won't be around forever. "Matches will run out—you have to have some way of starting a fire without them," says Brent Sr. (there are several ways. Look up some of them)
    #3: How to Treat an Allergic Reaction
    If you or someone in your party is allergic to bees, wasps, or certain foods, you're going to need to know how to stop the severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. Symptoms of this life-threatening reaction include, itching and swelling, which leads to swallowing and breathing difficulties, increased heart rate, sudden weakness, and shock, among others.
    Unfortunately, there's only one treatment for anaphylaxis, according to WebMD: epinephrine by injection. So stock up on a few EpiPens for your emergency medical kit.
    #4: How to Suture or Treat a Wound
    When you're out in the elements without access to a hospital or antibiotics, a dirty wound could mean certain death. If you have a big cut on your leg, you're going to need to know how to treat a wound to prevent infection.
    #5: Basic Bartering Techniques & Top Barter Items
    In a crisis of epic proportions, you will not be able to run to your local Wal-Mart for the things you need. The solution, says Brent Sr., is bartering. To successfully negotiate a good trade, you'll need to know what items are highly valuable:
    * gold and silver (including pre-1965 dimes and half-dollars)
    * addictive goods (coffee, alcohol, cigarettes)
    * freeze-dried foods (they're good for 35 years and weigh very little)
    * longterm storage food, such as wheat (unground wheat will last a lifetime)
    * gasoline, diesel fuel, and kerosene
    * medical supplies
    * guns and ammo
    #6: How to Hot-wire and Repair Vehicles
    "If you have to get somewhere further away fast, you need to have a knowledge of automobiles," says Brent Sr.
    The most basic technique for starting a car without the key, is to stick a flathead screwdriver in the ignition, and turn it as you would a key.
    #7: How to Read a Map and Use a Compass
    Most people ask Siri or the Garmin lady how to get where they want to go. But in an off-the-grid scenario, electronics won't work for long, and you'll need to be able to find your way with a standard map and compass.

There are many more skills you should learn to be “fully” prepared but these are definitely some you should consider.

Page 846 of 869 FirstFirst ... 346 746 796 836 844 845 846 847 848 856 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links