Hand Warmers in place of Oxygen Absorbers
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Hand Warmers in place of Oxygen Absorbers within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I saw the man on the preppers show say that not many people know this, but the hand warmers are the same as oxygen absorbers. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DiscountMylarBags
  • 1 Post By MrsInor

Thread: Hand Warmers in place of Oxygen Absorbers

I saw the man on the preppers show say that not many people know this, but the hand warmers are the same as oxygen absorbers. I would figure there is some type of difference in the materials and on top of things the cost difference. Right now I can get hand warmers at 75 cents each.

Re: Hand Warmers in place of Oxygen Absorbers

Is this after they have been used that they will function as oxygen absorbers?
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Although I sell oxygen absorbers for a living, this message is not about keeping sales or preventing folks from using hand warmers as oxygen absorbers if they want to; I love DIY!=)

However, hand warmers are meant to create heat, oxygen absorbers to remove oxygen. While they both are made from the same material (a form of iron oxide that when it rusts, removes oxygen from the atmosphere and produces heat as a side effect), they are packaged in ways appropriate for their primary function. Oxygen absorbers are created so the heat they produce is diffused to lessen the risk of spoiling food near the absorber. They also work over a longer period of time, where handwarmers are kind of a 'burst heat' mechanism. Plus, the outer material of an oxygen absorber is FDA approved for contact with food; handwarmers are not.

Also, if you go to our website (www.discountmylarbags.com), you can get many sizes of oxygen absorbers for less than $.75/each.=) And in bulk, you can get ALL our sizes of oxygen absorber for less than $.75 each.
    bigwheel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Very good post! I figured this since they would label them differently anyway. Esp with FDA requirements. Thank you for your post!

Thanks everyone for your post. I think DiscountMylarBags hit it on the head with the FDA also.

Kauboy mentioned this in another thread and I had never heard of it. Found this after a search rather than starting a new thread. Do any of the current members use hand warmers instead of oxygen absorbers? post number 3 seems to warn away from it. Just curious. How many hand warmers would it take for a 1 gallon mylar bag?

I'm all for do it yourself projects, but this is food folks. I am not going to screw around with something that is so important. If you are going to store food - do it right.
    Arklatex likes this.

I definitely agree Mrs Inor. However the argument stands that hand warmers and oxygen absorbers "are the same thing" in different packages.

Super Moderator

Yes, they work on the exact same principle.
    That said, they are not used in the same manner, thus not packaged for the same use.

O2 absorbing packs for food storage use a different wrapping material around the contents to ensure air goes in, but NOTHING comes out.
    My experience with hand warmers has been that the cloth mesh can allow particles of iron/rust to fall out.
    Not much, but some.

Also, food use ones will have a "cc" that will give you an expectation of effectiveness.
    Hand warming ones don't, so it is a guess or would take trial and error to get right.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links