What is the best NEW deisel generator to buy?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What is the best NEW deisel generator to buy? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Is there any out of the box units that are widely considered to be the best like the Yamaha and Honda inverter generators are considered ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What is the best NEW deisel generator to buy?

Is there any out of the box units that are widely considered to be the best like the Yamaha and Honda inverter generators are considered to be the best gasoline portable generators?

I was searching around for awhile, I'm wondering if these Cummins Onan QD models might be one of the best??

Cummins Onan 5 HDKBC-2861 QD 5000 - 5000 Watt Quiet Diesel Commercial Mobile Generator 120/240V 25A

It's such a crying shame that diesel gens are the loudest. It's just that one thing that prevents diesel from completely dwarfing every other gen. Least flammable, least maintenance required, most efficient, most durable, diesel fuel 10 times the shelf life of gasoline, least carbon monoxide...ok yes most expensive (for combustible engines, solar's way worse) but that's expected considering that u get what u pay for...then it gets completely ruined with the MOST noisey factor Ugh! The Onan QD says that it tops out at 68 decibels in some specs but 66 in other specs?? Anyway, still too loud for a set up with neighbors directly next to you IMO...not too bad if you have a little space. What a shame diesel's almost perfect!
    bigwheel likes this.

Thought us preppers was prone to liking Propane generators. That stuff never goes stale. Much cheaper than diesel to buy one for sure. Now a diesel generator on a big diesel MH makes sense. Not lugging one around with ya or keeping it in the back yard for emergencies.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Have you considered a propane generator? Roughly the same price, but they run cleaner and propane has a much much better shelf life than gas or diesel.

Just a thought.
    Slippy likes this.

Oh wow, after your post I was about reply that what I want is not available in the US...it looks like it is now!! Ok now I have to open a new thread about this lol

LONE WOLF likes this.

I really wish my property was a good distance from neighbors and i didn't have to worry about noise level so much. I'm starting to actually consider moving, man the advantages i would have in the right location!

Quote Originally Posted by I'd_last_a_day View Post
    Is there any out of the box units that are widely considered to be the best like the Yamaha and Honda inverter generators are considered to be the best gasoline portable generators?

I was searching around for awhile, I'm wondering if these Cummins Onan QD models might be one of the best??

Cummins Onan 5 HDKBC-2861 QD 5000 - 5000 Watt Quiet Diesel Commercial Mobile Generator 120/240V 25A
    IMO put in a propane generator like this one

Cummins Power Generation 13kW (Warm, Natural Gas) Home Standby Generator

You can bury the tank, it is very fuel efficient, it is the quietest generator on the market, and it burns very little fuel.

The thing that isn't mentioned in the sales flyer is when your tank gets to about 30% fill it will not run the generator according to the book, I haven't tested that fact.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Why limit yourself to only one fuel?
    Triple-Fuel Yamaha EF2400iS Inverter Generator
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Ummm because mine puts out 13kw and yours is like 2.5kw and if you do the math mine is a lot more efficient.

I realize if you have other options for fuel you have expand your options, but IMO put in a 500 gallon propane tank (or bigger), you have several hundreds gallons more than most people currently have saved up.

The added benefit of Propane is that is doesn't go bad, store it for years and it still does what you expect. That is not true with gas or diesel.
    Slippy and Urbanprepper666 like this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links