Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

You and your Pets

7K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  SGG 
#1 ·
Do you have pets that you're also prepping with? I have a 5 and a half month old chocolate lab named Cabela. I am gonna be ordering her a dog saddle bag, so she can carry stuff too. It stinks that all of the really nice ones, that are bigger, are SO much more expensive..

What do you do for your pets and what kinds of pets do you have? Are they trained to do anything special? I plan to teach Cabela to find/follow blood trains, mainly for hunting.

#2 ·
i have a cat named mittens shes mean. like beats me up gives me stiches and tetnus shots, scars and bites the children mean if they dont pet her right enough fast enough and with out warning beats them up and goes right back to purring.
i have a soft bug out bag for her to come along prepacked with food and little watering bowl.

this is her making my older son's dirty pants her bitch. she doesnt like the boys to not put thier things in the hamper. she steals things, jewelry, small things,unpacks guests' over night bags, open the doors to the guest room, gets into medicine cabinet and destroys the qtips.
if she ends up being too dangerous, im gonna have to loose or eat her. but first ill do what i can to protect her mean ass.

#7 · (Edited)
Lol!! Crazy cat! she's pretty though :)
3 Cats mice control duty, 1 bird I think she is about 20years old already 2 dozen fish. a small speed bump of a dog Rat terrier and about 3 other mixed in she is a brave soul. Then Sir Pretzel Stix a Australian Blue healer 1 year old 53 pound tough dog. He is part of security. At one he is like having a 4 year child old running a round.
Haha LOVE his name! Sounds like you'll have lots of animals for protection! :p
Nice thread youngster. Those bigger saddle bags ARE REALLY expensive. Maybe you should try our plan out. We're going to Walmart (God help us) to get some messenger bags (small purses). My wife is going to cut and sew the belts together and make a strap so we can harness it to the dog.

Remember, if you stop relying on others for your supplies now you won't have to when SHTF.
We have the dog and our prepping roomy is getting another one. An Australian Cattle Dog. We also have a cat who will be riding in my 6 year old girl's pack.
Thanks! And that's a great idea! I may have to go check them out tomorrow!
Here are mine. I know its silly, but what can I say, I'm a prepper!

Haha!! They know what to do!

Reactions: shotlady
#3 ·
3 Cats mice control duty, 1 bird I think she is about 20years old already 2 dozen fish. a small speed bump of a dog Rat terrier and about 3 other mixed in she is a brave soul. Then Sir Pretzel Stix a Australian Blue healer 1 year old 53 pound tough dog. He is part of security. At one he is like having a 4 year child old running a round.

#4 ·
Nice thread youngster. Those bigger saddle bags ARE REALLY expensive. Maybe you should try our plan out. We're going to Walmart (God help us) to get some messenger bags (small purses). My wife is going to cut and sew the belts together and make a strap so we can harness it to the dog.

Remember, if you stop relying on others for your supplies now you won't have to when SHTF.

#41 ·
Four and a half weeks or four and a half months?

We have borders and a big mut that will be going with us if we have to go anywhere. As well as horses and goats. Everything else? If we have to bug out they can fend for themselves. The great thing about animals is that unless you live in a desert, they can pretty much fend for themselves even while remaining under your control. So other than the preps that would stay here, we don't prep for them.

#15 ·
Ah, come on, why you so hard on Mittens? I see nothing but good from her!

View attachment 827
hahaha this is so cute. im gonna print it and send it to my boy threatning to send her to afghanistan to keep him company. there aint a person in that platoon that she aint beat up when they come for weekend suppers or r&r. that oughta clear out the whole base. shes like the family hunney badger!
that is super!

anthony and i used the vacume space bags to pack for him to move to his 1st apartment, i got him an infiniti g35 coupe for graduation so we used his car and my car to get his stuff down there. we finished getting everything ready for a 5am get out of my house. over night she chewed the corners and all the bags poofed up. i thought i was gonna cry, but me being forever ready bought extra space bags and stuffed the other ones in and we were on our way! i can tell you all sorts of mittens stories. right now i have a broken ankle from trying to get away from her when she was mad about something. she's ferrel. she has a brother i named Mr onions cause he cried all the time. i gave him away, he made me nervous crying like that. she just makes a meep meep mop mop- thats how she meows.

#11 ·
#16 ·
I'm actually looking up sleds and harnesses for dogs. I have a harness for her but it isn't for pulling a sled so it doesn't have some clips and loops that would be needed.

This is a cool sled, Lucky Bums Utility Sled - Free Shipping at REI.com
Sleds are excellent too and the harnesses you buy in the store have that wonderful, built in, planned obsolescence. Do you know how to sew? If so stitch together your own leather harness. If you build it with your dog in mind it will fit 1000 times better than anything you get in the store. Plus you can use better materials and make it much cheaper. A little extra effort goes a long way.

I'm the animal guy and dogs are my specialty. Behaviorist and agressive animals are my primary fields. I'm glad to see such a young prepper bringing animals in. Dogs (and cats) are excellent workers and unlike man, are only truly happen when they are doing their job. Chocolate labs aren't known for being exceptional kart pullers so I'd probably stick with the saddles. You had the right idea to begin with. Scotch guard the heck out of what ever you have 'cause you know a lab's gonna' get wet.

Whatever you decide to do please post it on here so we can see the end result. I can give some kart training advice if you decide to go that route.

#22 ·
That's pretty awesome. Is that something you have to go to school for, to train dogs?

And when I put the sled on Cabela, she didn't really mind it except at first. She was like "What is thing behind me that keeps following me?!" haha but she got used to it pretty quick. Then I put a pumpkin in it to she if she would pull with a little weight and she did with no problem :)

#20 ·
I have Benny,a giant black lab that is like a fat,lazy child,he is good at farting,perhaps i can harness methane?lol.I also have Puppy,a 13 year old cat that follows me like a dog(I brought her home when she fit in the palm of my hand)and some cornsnakes(25 left)...(I used to be a breeder in the pet trade)...I guess I could eat the snakes?

#24 ·
I agree with the pack leader idea. I have been doing that with her and I believe she totally sees me as her leader.

I would say she sees my dad as second in command haha. She listens to him second best. But my dad's girlfriend, Morgan, and my brother Dillon. Not so much. I've tried teaching Dillon how to handle her (Dos and Don'ts) but he just doesn't apply it, so I end up having to correct her when she doesn't listen. When it comes to Morgan, she just recently moved in. Cabela will jump on her, bite her (like a play bite but more aggressive I think). Morgan will try to correct her but Cabela just does not listen to her. So I end up having to correct Cabela with her too.

When Morgan would visit, before she moved in, she would always play with Cabela and wouldn't really punish/correct her when she did wrong. Which is her first mistake I believe. It's getting to the point with Morgan that I think she is like "Cabela isn't a little puppy anymore and her not behaving isn't cute now." So even now, Cabela has a hard time obeying Morgan. Morgan now using a more stern tone with Cabela when she misbehaves, and Cabela will mind some, when I'm home, but if I'm not then it's like "Hey Mom isn't home so no one is my boss and I can do what ever I want!!"

I use a stern tone with Cabela, which is why I think she listens to me. I think she can understand that misbehaving doesn't fly with me. Morgan has just always let if fly with Cabela when she was a puppy and I think she regrets it now lol.

Is there any corrects that I or my family should take? I love listening to dog trainers and dog shows. So I would love to hear anything from you.

Sorry for the lengthy post lol

#25 ·
Do you have a video camera? I need to see the dog in action with your family. I can give tips but without watching the subtleties of the canine/human interaction. If you do, I'd need to see natural play between each human and the dog individually, correction between human and dog, problem activities of dog, group interaction, and lastly dog interaction with environment (basically what you think best shows her normal behavior).

If not PM me and I'll give you the long list of problems and proper correction options, plus a couple of simple temperament tests and how to read the reaction.

#26 ·
It will be important for your dad's girlfriend to take control rather than you. It's okay for pack members to test status. If you step in constantly, your pup never gets to challenge Morgan for status which leaves the possibility for (what's your dog's name?) to move up in status. Do you understand what I mean?

#27 ·
Her name is Cabela, and yes I understand what you mean, thank you!

#28 ·
She is very upset with me and engage in a lay in protest. The rocker is old. New one coming tomorrow. It has been taken apart to be hauled out the back of it is a place she like to sit so she islaying on it . She is an older cat and set in her ways.
Cat Comfort Carnivore Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats

#29 ·
I have a yellow lab that loves to hunt. If I touch a gun he starts jumping around with joy. He is an amazing guard dog. He can carry his own food, but I'll carry it for him. He's my buddy.

A dog in the woods is worth four men. They hear better than humans, can hike all day without tiring, and can smell things that are literally miles away. And they eat half as much.

#30 ·
Nice to meet someone else with a lab too :) I have a 5 month old female chocolate lab named Cabela :)

#33 ·
She is checking on her food first season food storage
Cat Wood Pet supply Flooring Floor

#43 ·
5 pets.
2 cats. Kitty (Rachel) was my first

Met gf and she wanted a pet that loved her so we adopted Shadow (got him for her for Valentines Day)

But my gf is a dog person so we adopted Milo. 8 lb maltese

He smiles

Sometimes sports a Mohawk

He went literally everywhere with us, never alone. When that wasn't possible anymore we got a mini dachshund/yorkie mix, aka Dorkie. Here's 10 lb Nibbler

Then gf wanted another freakin dog but she knew I wanted a big dog. Rescued a sweet loyal 6 month old pit. Named her Lola

#44 ·
Now we're all best buds

Especially these two. Like the same dog and partners in crime

I have literally thousands of pics lol sorrynotsorry.

No prep yet per say. Always keep good stock of food. Lola has a saddle bag. Never actually trained her on it yet.
Bug out plans for dogs will come first.
Cats......eh.....they might get left behind depending on severity of situation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.