The Cascadia subduction zone
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The Cascadia subduction zone within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Mother Earth slowly reveals her secrets, and this time, it's a fault line deep in the belly of the planet. Its name is a whopper: ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Cascadia subduction zone

Retired Moderator

Mother Earth slowly reveals her secrets, and this time, it's a fault line deep in the belly of the planet.

Its name is a whopper: The Cascadia subduction zone.

Its gargantuan size and potential power amaze earthquake experts, who say it could cause the worst natural disaster in the history of North America -- if it ruptures entirely.

This quake-maker sits at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, where the seabed meets the North American tectonic plate. In all, it stretches 700 miles along the Pacific Northwest, from British Columbia's Vancouver Island to Washington to Oregon to northern California's Cape Mendocino.

In fact, "the Cascadia" already has made history, causing the largest earthquake in the continental United States on January 26, 1700. That's when the Cascadia unleashed one of the world's biggest quakes, causing a tsunami so big that it rampaged across the Pacific and damaged coastal villages in Japan.

Cascadia subduction zone worse than San Andreas fault - CNN.com

I was not aware of the Cascadia Fault. I was unable to watch the video. Why isn't this one talked about more or did I miss it?
    sideKahr, Farva and Denton like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

We owe our very existence to the tectonic activity of our planet. It is neither bad, nor good; it just is.

"The snowflakes fall, each in their proper place."

Hi Auntie!

I found out about this a couple of years ago. I live here. Slightly west of Portland. Anyone who has read my posts here or elsewhere, probably figured out that I am not any kind of PAW prepper. That being said, this would be about as close as you could get without Nuc War and Zombies. It has definitely changed the way I think about preparing.

I don't, or at least I try to not "Scenario" prep. I try to have enough chow-water-warmth to tide us over for some bad times. Job loss, Sickness/Job loss, storm, those kind of things. A couple of months, to get by, or to sit things out for awhile to see what is happening. This has changed that somewhat. Still not prepping for earthquake PAW, Just adding a couple of things.

First of all I went out and got a shitpile of guns and 200,000 rounds of ammo, especially for the 50BMG I remortgaged my house for.

Nawww, The additions to planning is figuring multiple ways out of my location. I'm not a bug out first dude, but, given the predictions of what will happen, No services for at least 6mo, EMS having to clear a way in, ect, baby wants out first, and if possible, that is what I would go for. If not possible, well, having some stuff elsewhere nearby helps, in the car and truck helps, and hopefully the rubble of our house isn't on fire, If not, we'll be okay for awhile.

Definitely a thinker, for me anyway, and making maps is super fun! Really.
    Slippy, Prepared One and Auntie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

No longer here.

Prepping for the Cascadia event is noteworthy, not being there when it happens is effective, outrunning Mother Nature is a pipe dream, roll the dice or move away. It's not an if, it's a when.

I've seen it talked about for about the last 10 years. Info came out about 2005 right after the 2004 Sumatra earthquake (same type) ans tsunami. I have friends (been prepping for a year now) that live in the area that would be hit, so I pay attention to the info when it comes out.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Prepping for the Cascadia event is noteworthy, not being there when it happens is effective, outrunning Mother Nature is a pipe dream, roll the dice or move away. It's not an if, it's a when.
    Welllll, I could head to wildfire country, Urban yout country, Hurricane country, more earthquake country, Flood country, Bad politics Country, Tornado Country, Freeze your butt off country, ect. No sense in replacing one with another.

There are other places I have lived, and would like to live again, but, I'm not a 200 year old retired sniper spec ops dude. I'm a seriously middle aged guy who started a family late in life and who's wife doesn't want to go back to Texas. Bummer. Gotta work. Gotta work till I die. This citified place is paying enough to live well, and to get my kid into Stanford if he wants. That's the best prep for my boys future. Screw earthquakes.
    Last edited by Farva; 02-16-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling

No longer here.

Do not fear Farva, many have lived out thier entire lifetimes and never faced the issue. Perhaps you shall be away on vacation with the family when it happens. Live well and make sure you kiss those you leave behind as you head to work like if it's the last time. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Cascadia subduction zone worse than San Andreas fault - CNN.com

I was not aware of the Cascadia Fault. I was unable to watch the video. Why isn't this one talked about more or did I miss it?
    I am very aware of this fault. According to the local authorities on the subject, they figure that everything west of I-5 will be history. I live 2 miles west of I-5. does this include me? I think about this possibility all the time. They say they will not even bother going to try to help anyone on the coast or look for survivors. They know there is very little chance there will be any. The prediction is that Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Vancouver and Portland will also be demolished. My family is in Vancouver and my daughter commutes to Olympia to work as a nurse at one of the hospitals. Scares me spitless
    Even those of us that are far enough away to survive the quake itself, the wave of water coming after will create its own problems. I am fortunate to be far above the normal flood zones around here, but I will be surrounded and my water source contaminated. (have enough for 6 months stored) My neighborhood may become an island for a while and I am the only one around that is a prepper. Thankfully not many neighbors.
    I have already earthquake proofed my jar shelves, but who knows if buildings will be able to be accessed if it gets to bad. Keep trying the video. It is really interesting. the major cities have been preparing for years for this, but I don't think it will do much good.
    Auntie and Denton like this.

On the bright side Tired, you might get lucky and end up with prime beachfront property!

The other fault that no one thinks about carefully, and most cities are completely unprepared for is the New Madrid Fault system that could split the continent in half, and wipe out major cities along the entire fault line. The San Andreas fault is nothing compared to these two potential disasters... Potential for a 9+ along both of these lurking disasters....and could happen at ANY time.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Retired Moderator

Lets hope that it will be a long, long time before there is activity.
    Denton and M118LR like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links