Question from a new prepper
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Question from a new prepper within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Let me preface this post with the following: I have been completely overwhelmed by the knowledge and hospitality of the members of this forum. What ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Question from a new prepper

Let me preface this post with the following: I have been completely overwhelmed by the knowledge and hospitality of the members of this forum. What I am about to ask is strictly because I am seeking to understand, not AT ALL to criticize, condemn, etc.

My question: as I have eased into prepping, I have definitely been surprised at times by the ideological worldview that seems to be part and parcel of being a prepper. I am NOT a democrat. I think Barack Obama is a REALLY bad President.

However, I do not think he is about to impose martial law. Or that Jade Helm was kind of subversive exercise (I was in the Army and got out recently. I have been part of Jade Helm-type exercises. The whole discussion around it has been shocking to me).

I guess I have just been a little taken aback by what seems to be a common leaning towards conspiracy beliefs. Again: not at all speaking against those that hold the beliefs. I am just trying to get a sense of why it is so firmly entrenched in prepper culture.

Thanks in advance for your insight and wisdom.
    bigwheel, Farva and A Watchman like this.

Welcome. We get a bit off topic once in a while here . But it is not our fault look at all the opportunity they give us. As for Obama, he has broken so many laws , created his own law, declared himself King. Who can say what he might try. 20 years after he is gone the real truth about what he has been up to will come out. I just hope 20 years from now some of you are still here to talk about it.
    I won't be
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Retired Moderator

Some people are believers of the conspiracy theories, others just want a simpler life like our grandparents had. You know the type, canning, preparing for emergencies, reusing and re-purposing things. I believe the majority of us want to be able to take care of our families, and know in our guts that things are not right. Some times they really are zebras, most of the times they are just horses. When you get where you don't trust that someone has your best interest at heart you start to notice more of their flaws.

I hope this makes sense to you. I will tell you that we don't all agree on things but we all want to have the same end result. We want to be self sufficient, be able to cloth and feed our families and not be dependent on the government to save us.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 101Vet View Post
    I guess I have just been a little taken aback by what seems to be a common leaning towards conspiracy beliefs. Again: not at all speaking against those that hold the beliefs. I am just trying to get a sense of why it is so firmly entrenched in prepper culture.
    The reason there are so many conspiracy theories is because there are so many conspiracies.

It's sort of like if you find out your wife has been cheating on you for years...you eventually never trust anything she tells you again.
    Last edited by Prepper News; 01-31-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Banned

People believe in conspiracies because they probably smoke a lot of dope and that makes them paranoid.

Others are just idiots that see what they want to believe.

Some times it is not a conspiracy. In this case he said it , it was his words no denying it. So if we are to judge a man by what he says and what he does. Then so shall Obama be judged. But there will be those of you who still will deny his own words.

Question from a new prepper-obama-stand-muslims.jpg
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 101Vet View Post
    Let me preface this post with the following: I have been completely overwhelmed by the knowledge and hospitality of the members of this forum. What I am about to ask is strictly because I am seeking to understand, not AT ALL to criticize, condemn, etc.

My question: as I have eased into prepping, I have definitely been surprised at times by the ideological worldview that seems to be part and parcel of being a prepper. I am NOT a democrat. I think Barack Obama is a REALLY bad President.

However, I do not think he is about to impose martial law. Or that Jade Helm was kind of subversive exercise (I was in the Army and got out recently. I have been part of Jade Helm-type exercises. The whole discussion around it has been shocking to me).

Thanks in advance for your insight and wisdom.
    Being a prepper means you are preparing for unforeseen eventualities. Of course we study up on what we need to do in the case of the natural disasters sometimes occurring in our area. But it also means that we try and figure out how to handle unusual situations. What would happen if a situation like what is occurring in Syria happened in the United States? How about something like the fall of Yugoslavia?

Many of the guys here, like Smitty, Denton, Slippy, Arklatex and a few others are also students of history. They KNOW these types of crazy far out political issues are possible here, maybe not likely, but still possible.

That being said, some are expecting society to collapse on a daily basis. Some are even disappointed when it does not. (Although personally, I think those guys would be some of the first to have their bodies burned if that did come to pass.)

Me? I have been at this prepping thing a while. I have most of the big stuff covered. I am just here to hang with a few of my friends and have a few laughs.
    "Oh good lord it's the stink bug again. Did you see new faces and drop by like a fag at a birthday party to stink up the place with your phony dihmi hogwash"

One of the cool things about this forum is that there are pepole here for all kinds of reasons. We learn a lot
    from each other and share our insights. Very interesting to say the least. To some of us what you would call a
    conspiracy theory some pepole on here believe 100% is going to happen. Like the collapse of the dollar most that
    are prepping for that say it's a question of when not "if". And most of us learn a lot about prepping from each other.
    SO,, Welcome come join us and if you don't have anything good to say about anyone,, Come sit next to me
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Look there's two types of people in this world. Those who mash their crackers up before opening the package and those who do it after when putting crackers in their soup. Of course some people don't like crackers, others don't mash them up and others still like to put things on them. But if we only talk about the people who mash them up before or after we may forget about the other types. Until we meet one.

The government only talks about things that they want to see you do and nothing else. Especially all the things they do that that they don't want you to do. Like kill people in power because they don't agree with you. They do it every day. Look at drone strikes in Pakistan. They say drones are surgically precise yet families have peices of drone missels with the serial numbers still intact that killed their uncles children and mothers whom had no military interests save to hide from it. But you never hear about that. Instead you get to see a cardashions backside or a skank on a ball licking that prat Madonnas face. And then you talk about it like your in the know.

If a government says it. I believe the opposite.
    Auntie and Targetshooter like this.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

I will say because most people are scared.
    some ,they need a valid excuse to prep and a reason to give people they know and associate with so they can answer the why do you do it question.
    and the real preppers in my eyes are the ones who just want to get back to being self sufficient they don't really care about conspiracies they just want to be left alone and most have seen what and how crazy the everyday people will do and get in an emergency or disaster and want no part of it. these want to keep their family's safe and not have to worry about what they are going to do.
    Auntie, Targetshooter and spork like this.
    oops

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links