Improving security at the homestead
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Improving security at the homestead within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I just bought some heavy duty steel brackets, and installation hardware. You know, the old fashioned "Katie, bar the door!" 2by4 across the door kind. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Improving security at the homestead

I just bought some heavy duty steel brackets, and installation hardware. You know, the old fashioned "Katie, bar the door!" 2by4 across the door kind. I'm not going to install them now, my security is pretty good. But if conditions get really nasty, it's only a few minute job to put them up, and they should really resist break in by force.

Does anyone know if using threaded rod through concrete block is a good method to install one of these on a cellar door?
    Moonshinedave, SDF880 and phrogman like this.

If you can use carriage bolts with a steel plate .
    sideKahr and darsk20 like this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

I'm not sure how much those bars do. I had looked on Amazon and elsewhere myself at them and the reviews were never very good.

Have you considered a steel bar security door and big meaty, mean dog on the inside?
    Last edited by Prepper News; 01-18-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
    sideKahr likes this.
    On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have seriously considered the same for my storage/storm cellar. I have a good quality steel door that opens to the inside but am thinking of adding a little more. Really, the thought is more a F-5 Toronto than keeping people out. But one never knows.

Banned

Circular saw blades make excellent washers.
    sideKahr and MaterielGeneral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepper News View Post
    I'm not sure how much those bars do. I had looked on Amazon and elsewhere myself at them and the reviews were never very good.

Have you considered a steel bar security door and big meaty, mean dog on the inside?

Already have steel doors, but one can never be overprepared. My mean dog has .223 caliber teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepper News View Post

Well, . . . remember that in the "never very good" review, it was most likely not put on correctly, . . . OR, . . . the reviewer wanted to sell you his product.

A full 2 x 4 bar across the door, . . . anchored with carriage bolts through the block wall, . . . require shearing the 2 x 4 at one end / bending the brackets supporting the 2 x 4 / breaking the bolts holding the whole thing together: none of which is going to be done with anything short of a battering ram and several people to use it.

I personally prefer the type that are like a "U" shape, . . . where one end is slid in and over several inches, . . . so the other end can then be slid into place.

With a 1/4 inch steel plate on the back of that 2 x 4, . . . or a 1/2 inch steel rod through the middle of it, . . . Man Mountain Dean couldn't open that door by himself.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    sideKahr likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Does anyone know if using threaded rod through concrete block is a good method to install one of these on a cellar door?
    This is the way I would do it, . . . steel plate on the outside of the block, . . . head of bolt welded to plate, . . . paint the outside anything you have to conceal exactly where the welding was done.

This way, . . . the bg has no idea where to apply his drill bit or grinder to knock your bolts off, . . . if he even figures out that is what it's for.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Improving security at the homestead-block-bolt.jpg  

If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

If a bad guy wants to get in most conventional homes, he will. You'd be better off replacing all the carpet in your house with hardwood floors. Cleaning carpet soaked in bad guy's blood is a real pain in the ass, but with hardwood, just spray some Slippy-Brand Dead Thug Blood Cleaner on the stain, wipe and its like brand new again!

The only sign that your homestead has been Broken Into should be the dead thug's head on a Pike by the front gate.
    darsk20, Smitty901 and sideKahr like this.

Not sure if your bar would keep this guy out...

https://vine.co/v/iAwUdYmKpen
    Slippy and A Watchman like this.
    On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links