Cooking spices for bartering - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cooking spices for bartering

This is a discussion on Cooking spices for bartering within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I found a can of lard unopened the cheap stuff (dollar store clover valley) It was still good and had expiration date of 2012...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cooking spices for bartering

I found a can of lard unopened the cheap stuff (dollar store clover valley) It was still good and had expiration date of 2012
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I was in the shop and save and they have sugar $4 for two 4 pound bags. $.50 a pound.
    I already have enough sugar put back for me and maybe even a little extra.
    But .50 a pound? so for $50 I can get 100 lb of sugar for bartering? I think that sugar is
    going to be hard to find. But it got me thinking ,, What other spices would be good to put back
    for bartering? If it's going to be in demand after shtf and it's cheap now might as well get some.

what other spices should I get?
    http://www.penncouponing.com/smartsource.htm

Save 75¢ on TWO (2) Domino® Sugar Products 2 lbs. or Larger ..it doubles to $1.50

I have so much sugar, my wife will not let me buy any more
    Be a Berean

let's put it this way without spice food tastes blan -so for a barter item -yeah it will be more valuable than gold.
    oops

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have read all the post on this thread ,,,, no one has said anything about yeast ? You will need it for making bread and baking ,.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Quote Originally Posted by Targetshooter View Post
    I have read all the post on this thread ,,,, no one has said anything about yeast ? You will need it for making bread and baking ,.
    When the yeast runs out, sourdough.

Have been putting up homegrown when possible.

Garlic onion leeks sage rosemary thyme basil parsley oregano celery various peppers . For sugars maple syrup and honey.

Will need to stock up on black pepper. Need lots more salt for food and other uses.

Other things are tea and coffee. Can do teas with local wild stuff but no caffeine in those.

What of these spices not mentioned above can be grown in zones 5 or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Targetshooter View Post
    Yeast is from a naturally occurring bacteria in the wild. It's everywhere. You can acquire it from various natural sources. Stockpiling it is not really all that necessary.
    Once you have a good "mother", you just have to feed it water and sugar, and you'll have all the yeast you'll ever need.
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Don't forget to have a good supply for yourself as well. You can prepare beans, lentils, oatmeal and rice a gazillion ways with lots of spice combos. A good place to shop for spices is Asian or Indian grocery stores. They typically use much more spice in their food than most Americans and are generally thrifty. They won't pay $5.00 for some little jar in the grocery store. I found you can get 5-10x the spice for the same price at Indian/Asian stores. Also Amazon is good too. Storing spices is another good reason to have a vacuum sealer.
    Urinal Cake likes this.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." ~ Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Yeast is from a naturally occurring bacteria in the wild. It's everywhere. You can acquire it from various natural sources. Stockpiling it is not really all that necessary.
    Once you have a good "mother", you just have to feed it water and sugar, and you'll have all the yeast you'll ever need.
    Don't forget various types of yeast too. Baking is a bit different than brewing but both are important in my preps.

I have done good home brew cider with natural yeast but it dies off/gets pickeled if you add sugars to increase alcohol content. For that I use champagne yeast and can get to 16-17%. I use the mother of that. Have access to orchards berry and other crops.

I need to look into building a still for brandies and grain for "medicinal" purposes. Have a good chemistry background so just need to settle on a design that uses inexpensive readily available materials.

For baking you keep some dough working in the frig and refresh it with each new batch.

P.S. yeast is not a bacterium, it's a eucaryote, the un-coli! They have a nucleus and higher genetics than procaryotic bacteria.

"God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-15-2016 at 10:40 AM.
    Kauboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    P.S. yeast is not a bacterium, it's a eucaryote, the un-coli! They have a nucleus and higher genetics than procaryotic bacteria.
    Oh, so more like a fungus then.
    Never knew that. Thanks!
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links