Inventory, Inventory, Inventory!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Inventory, Inventory, Inventory! within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; A few times a year we try to inventory most of the things that we have. We inventory our food for rotation purposes and it ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Inventory, Inventory, Inventory!

A few times a year we try to inventory most of the things that we have. We inventory our food for rotation purposes and it has become a habit that pays off. Every year we find a few items that slipped through the cracks, are getting old or need to be consumed, thrown out or re-purposed. We've almost filled the Bin that contains 2018 "best used by dates" and I found some 2014 and 2015 cans that I'll put in the pantry for use in the next few weeks, our medium and long term stores are in good shape so I'm pleased about our food stores.

My outdoor rain tanks are full and my plan to build a pond in the next year is coming along well so I feel pretty good about water.

Regarding ammo...I called Son 2 today and he was inventorying his ammo which reminded me to do the same. He said he just bought a .40SW semi-auto handgun and after congratulating him...for some reason I had a weird feeling... so when I got home I took some time to go through our ammo stores. Yep, our .40SW was lower than I would like, same with my .357 magnum inventory. So, I made myself a note and will remedy that situation later this weekend using ammoseek.com

Gas, Oil, Diesel and LP also were inventoried and I needed to rotate my gasoline, fill up the 4 wheelers and refill some LP tanks. Also, time to fill up my diesel tanks as they are pretty low too. Firewood is in good shape as are cleaning supplies.

Non-perishables like TP, Toothbrushes, soap, dental floss, bandages, extra socks, extra work gloves, candles, lamp oil, etc were in good shape as are matches, and medicine...which is perishable but we do a good job of rotation.

Overall I was pretty pleased but by no means totally comfortable.

Take the time and do a complete inventory of your stuff. You may notice some holes and it may mean the difference in life or death...or comfort and discomfort.

Damn, my Kentucky Bourbon is getting low...
    Last edited by Slippy; 01-09-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Linedog, gambit, SDF880 and 12 others like this.

Are you ever truly comfortable?

P.S. I picked 1000 rounds of 9 today. Probably coulda got a better deal online but I prefer to pay cash.
    Last edited by Linedog; 01-09-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

I was cleaning up in a garage today (it was 50 degrees here in west PA) and found a box of 243 ammo....
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    Be a Berean

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    I was cleaning up in a garage today (it was 50 degrees here in west PA) and found a box of 243 ammo....
    It's like putting on your coat for the first time all year and finding a $20.

Sounds like a very productive day! Funny how prepping changes your perspective on things. I was buying some food today and my instinct was to check the "best before" date on all items.

Needless to say I've got a few items I know when to consume by.
    Slippy likes this.
    Every decision has pain. The trick is to choose your pain wisely.

On consumables like fuels, i have inventory levels not to go under.
    Whatever is used is replaced on a weekly or bi weekly basis and in rotation.
    Everything has input date marked with magic marker.
    New products are put in the rear of the inventory.
    Everything is a lot easier since I retired, have more time to keep up with things.
    The 100 pound propane tanks are not used in rotation, there are eight now just held in stores.
    There are two active sets for each use, they are just switched out and refilled as needed then returned to the ready.
    Propane does not go bad, no reason to rotate them, The stored eight are new, unused, kept under cover.
    The 16 100 pounders will last me five years at the normal rate of consumption, this is on par with all the other preps on hand.
    The biggest question is on acetylene, oxy, argon and c25 consumption, how much in a SHTF situation? I hope I have enough.
    Then again most scavengers would not be looking for those things.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-10-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    Slippy and Targetshooter like this.

Banned

On the subject of rotating medicine.

I used some 7 year out of date Mupirocin (Bactroban) topical antibiotic and it worked great. It had been stored properly.

Same day I took some 5 year out of date Hydrocodone 10mg tablets and they also worked very well. I had it stored in a pelican case I kept my scripts in my closet.

I was told by a pharmacist to never use out of date cough syrup. Had a Dr 2nd that.

Thanks slip I do need to do this and I'm in a short term pickle as I now cannot eat anything with gluten or dairy! I have plenty of food I cannot eat and slowly starting to
    build up some gluten free inventory with first big shipment arriving a few days ago. It's almost like starting all over for me but rest of the family has even more all the sudden, LOL!

Found 2 or 3 rounds of 30-06 in an old ammo can when I was rummaging around the other day. I sold my 30-06 a few years ago when money was tight. No major loss the damn thing wouldn't shoot straight

My prepping is about to come to slow crawl for a while. Plumber left a little earlier and gave me an estimate for fixing a broken pipe under the house. Just under 7K if they pour concrete, just under 6K if they don't. This visit today ran me $625. FML.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links