recommendations for emergency med kits
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on recommendations for emergency med kits within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I’ve finally been able to put some money into our emergency medical supplies (thanks to the $$ I needed to spend left on my FSA ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By GirlPrepMI
  • 1 Post By MaterielGeneral
  • 1 Post By MaterielGeneral
  • 2 Post By GTGallop
  • 1 Post By Medic33
  • 2 Post By paraquack
  • 1 Post By warrior4

Thread: recommendations for emergency med kits

I’ve finally been able to put some money into our emergency medical supplies (thanks to the $$ I needed to spend left on my FSA insurance card).

I’m feeling much better not that we have my own version of a first responder bags for home and both ours vehicles.

Outside of the standard, I beefed the kits up with extra medical gloves, compression bandages and SAM splints.

I’d like to know what your recommendations for emergency med kits are. Anything you feel that people usually overlook or larger items to put on my “wish list?
    Slippy and Denton like this.

Check out Sawyer The Extractor Suction kits Sawyer The Extractor Pump Kit for Bites and Stings Removes Snake Venom | eBay There supposed to work on snake bites, but I know they work on insect stings/bites. They will shorten the reaction time of the sting.

Go with Nitrile gloves. They will last longer in the vehicles VS the latex.

Probably a common sense item but lots of bandaids, fingertip and knuckle bandages. Get the adhesive clothe type over the plastic. Don't forget the antibiotic ointment.

What about 2X2 or 4X4 gauze and some rolled gauze, medical tape.
    GTGallop likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Check out page 2 on this thread: https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/g...w-prepper.html There's a bunch of medical stuff on that page.
    AquaHull likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I highly recommend the book 98.6 Degrees as reading material before putting one together.
    Robot Check

Also:
    Sawyer Extraction Kit
    Mylar Blankets
    MAXI PADS - the uncomfortable super absorbent kind.
    AB Pads
    Lots of that curly elastic bandage materiel they wrap around your arm when you give blood
    4X4 pads
    3x3 pads
    Sterile pads
    assorted bandages
    Medical staple gun (if it comes from Home Depot you are doing it wrong) - my next add
    Ace Bandages
    An Eye wash kit (or three) because they are good for eye washing but also good for irrigating a wound for cleansing.

My first REAL medical kit was one like this
    First-Aid-Product.com: Deluxe Trauma Kit - 303 Pieces - Soft Sided - First Responder Kits & Trauma Bags - Business First Aid Kits - First Aid Kits & Cabinets
    I paid about $400 for mine about 10 years ago and with FSA money that was a "use it or lose it" situation. Since then I've added to it but I still have it and it has seen MANY roadside emergencies. Good kit. I love it!
    Last edited by GTGallop; 01-01-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    I highly recommend the book 98.6 Degrees as reading material before putting one together.
    Robot Check

Also:
    Sawyer Extraction Kit
    Mylar Blankets
    MAXI PADS - the uncomfortable super absorbent kind.
    AB Pads
    Lots of that curly elastic bandage materiel they wrap around your arm when you give blood
    4X4 pads
    3x3 pads
    Sterile pads
    assorted bandages
    Medical staple gun (if it comes from Home Depot you are doing it wrong) - my next add
    Ace Bandages
    An Eye wash kit (or three) because they are good for eye washing but also good for irrigating a wound for cleansing.

My first REAL medical kit was one like this
    First-Aid-Product.com: Deluxe Trauma Kit - 303 Pieces - Soft Sided - First Responder Kits & Trauma Bags - Business First Aid Kits - First Aid Kits & Cabinets
    I paid about $400 for mine about 10 years ago and with FSA money that was a "use it or lose it" situation. Since then I've added to it but I still have it and it has seen MANY roadside emergencies. Good kit. I love it!
    thank you for pointing that out those come in handy -you can use a bottle of distilled water or saline solution(like for contacts) for this and usually is cheaper than buying something that says "eye wash" on it.
    what I recommend for a compact first aid kit is some roller gauze, anti bacterial ointment, a couple of 2x2's and 4x4s , medical tape, and 1 or 2 ace wraps in the 2-3 inch size, for wound washing you should have some drinking water available and maybe some soap
    tweezers or nail clippers can be used for wound probes as well a to remove debris. this is how you do it -clean wound ,flush wound, put ointment on slap a 2x2 or 4x4 on, the wrap it tight with the roller gauze then tape it. get this done quick enough and sutures may not be needed later and the wound should close up with in 24 hours.
    GTGallop likes this.
    oops

As a retired paramedic, I suggest you stock up on first aid supplies you know how to use.
    To that end, I'd also suggest you check with Red Cross, fire dept and find a first aid class.
    Spending a bunch of money on things you don't know how to use and can be dangerous in
    the hands of an untrained person doesn't make a bunch of sense to me. While it is possible
    to have the supplies and stumble upon a trained person who can utilize the supplies beyond
    your training, I don't know what the odds are that such a scenario will occur.

I would not buy anything prepackaged.
    GTGallop and TacticalCanuck like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

No longer here.

Get a ten pack or two of super glue,some baby anbesol, and plenty of baby wipes. Field Expedite. JMHO.

How many of you know how to use super glue?

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    Likewise what paraquack said. Make sure you have the training to use your supplies. Then keep training with it. Medical emergencies are often high stress situations where the flight or fight reaction kicks in and you lose a lot of your fine motor skills. Unless you've been training enough to have those skills in muscle memory. I help teach new paramedics and EMT's and I've seen just that thing happen. They're all gung-ho in class and think they can do it all, but when they get on the truck they freeze up because they didn't pay attention to the practical portions of training.
    paraquack likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

I never had a freeze up, but on my first time trying to start an IV in the field after I got my paramedic certificate, I can't believe I got the cath into the vein. Once it was in, my hands were shaking so bad, I couldn't tape it down. Another guy had to, and I had been and EMT for a couple of years

Sponsored Links