Milk cow?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Milk cow?

This is a discussion on Milk cow? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I guess I'm lucky to live where I do we have lots of Farmers, Dairymen, Tons of poultry chickens lots of folks selling eggs and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Milk cow?

Milk cow?

I guess I'm lucky to live where I do we have lots of Farmers, Dairymen, Tons of poultry chickens
    lots of folks selling eggs and black Angus cattle everywhere. And some of my neighbors are Mormons.

I stopped and talked to a dairy farmer to see if I could get some fresh milk (the kind with the cream on top)
    We got on the subject of the economy and it was obvious that he was a little concerned about
    where we might be headed. It seams like more and more pepole are starting to realize that Americas
    dollar isn't bullet proof. The idea of the dollar collapsing isn't something that just conspiracy theory
    nut cases think about. Yes,,Even the farmer in the dill is looking over his shoulder.
    I asked what in the world he would do with 106 milk cows with no way to milk them and no trucks
    coming to get the milk even if he did have a generator to run the milking machines. He said
    "I don't know" I ask if thought he would trade a milk cow for 20 chickens or a hog.
    He said "I probably would so I could have eggs and bacon to go with my milk for breakfast" and then
    he just smiled.

That got me to thinking if a guy was really on his toes when the shtf there will be a small window
    of time when chickens, cows, pigs or what ever will be pretty easy to get from the farmers.
    What are you going to do with 60 pigs if there is no market to take them to?

I think I'm going to get to know the guys that have the chickens and pigs a little better.

If you have any farmers anywhere close to your BOL it might pay off in the long run if you get to
    know them now before you need them.

I live where it's desolate 15 miles away is still a neighbor
    Auntie and gambit like this.

The Good Cop

My neighbor raises cattle. We keep chickens. We also grow vegetables, and this year are putting in fruit trees.
    If anyone lives in the country and does not do these things, they are living up to the old saying: "Those who fail to plan are planning to fail."
    Auntie, budgetprepp-n and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Make sure you know how to dress your potential animal barters (chickens are a bitch!) and ensure you have the back up capability to store (keep cool) and cook.
    Auntie likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Make sure you know how to dress your potential animal barters (chickens are a bitch!) and ensure you have the back up capability to store (keep cool) and cook.
    Store? I had chickens before and I just left them on two feet until the day I ate them.
    Gimble likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Store? I had chickens before and I just left them on two feet until the day I ate them.
    I am not sure if Watchman plans to "dress" up his chickens and take them out dancing or what. Chickens are not hard to butcher, they are very simple and small so it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to do it.

Have you ever butchered a chicken budgetprepp? You can not expect to butcher and throw it in a pan. Just like any animal you will need to hang it or you will have one tough bird to chew.
    Slippy and shootbrownelk like this.

With all due respect Ms. Tired Nurse, whether you dress (common term among men for cleaning animals for meat) or dance with your yard birds....... that fact remains that plucking the feathers as compared to skinning a typical game animal...... I'll say it one more time...... is a real bitch.

One must have a methodology i.e..... boiling or other and patience.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

I got pretty quick at it, but I still didn't want to do more than five birds at a time. I let them hang for a day, from morning until dusk. I would still get a tough bird now and then. Maybe that wasn't long enough. Overnight would have to have been indoors, otherwise I would think it would draw coyotes and coons, of which there were plenty.

And yeah "dressing". Butcher is for cows and pigs. Maybe it's a regional thing.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
    ― Frédéric Bastiat, The Law

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    With all due respect Ms. Tired Nurse, whether you dress (common term among men for cleaning animals for meat) or dance with your yard birds....... that fact remains that plucking the feathers as compared to skinning a typical game animal...... I'll say it one more time...... is a real bitch.

One must have a methodology i.e..... boiling or other and patience.
    Well Mr Watchman, the reason I suggest you take your chickens out dancing when you dress them, instead of just butchering is because it doesn't take any time at all to dispatch a bird and completely butcher from start to finish. I do a hundred at a time twice a year. takes me maybe 5 minutes per bird.
    here are a couple methods that may help you improve your skills

Slippy likes this.

If thats you in the video, it took 10 minutes. if it took another 10 minutes to kill the bird and move it to where it is being butchered, thats 20 minutes. Times 100 thats 2000 minutes, those birds will be done in a timely 33.3 hours.

Get to work, Watchman!

I'm not saying that it is the case here, but I had an ex GF, her sister was all over different forums claiming to be a dog breeder. and multi year trainer of cattle dogs, and had hundreds of chickens... In truth, she had 20 poorly cared for chickens in a terrible coop until her two untrained cattle dogs slaughtered most of them one night...
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
    ― Frédéric Bastiat, The Law

Quote Originally Posted by XMULE View Post
    I got pretty quick at it, but I still didn't want to do more than five birds at a time. I let them hang for a day, from morning until dusk. I would still get a tough bird now and then. Maybe that wasn't long enough. Overnight would have to have been indoors, otherwise I would think it would draw coyotes and coons, of which there were plenty.

And yeah "dressing". Butcher is for cows and pigs. Maybe it's a regional thing.
    Milk cow?-12274204_10154055295129316_1952168625612911082_n.jpg

I prefer this method. makes things pretty simple. I do 4 at a time. stick them upside down in the cones and slice their necks. let them bleed out as they die and then butcher. and throw in ice water. takes me a good full day to butcher and get them hanging. the next day I cut them up and can the breast meat and package the rest

Milk cow?-12243370_10154055307684316_3514885041513093734_n.jpg

pre butched chickens. I think they look pretty good. some dress out to close to 10 pound birds.
    Last edited by tirednurse; 11-18-2015 at 05:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links