Propane question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Propane question

This is a discussion on Propane question within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Aloha! When planning our home we opted for a gas range so that we won't be dependent on electricity. Now we have a friend (one ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Propane question

Question Propane question

Aloha!

When planning our home we opted for a gas range so that we won't be dependent on electricity. Now we have a friend (one person) living in the house and in 2 1/2 months she used up 48 gallons of propane. She didn't cook every day and it seems that that ran out pretty fast. I'm afraid we might have a leak somewhere.
    So I guess my question is, how long does your propane last?

Aloha and thanks for your time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Propane question-img_0015.jpg  

I grill an average of once per week... for about 20-45 minutes... depending on what I'm grilling. A standard propane take lasts me about 3-4 months. I'm also using a 5 burner grill... but don't always use all five. So... you just have to do some math... accounting for number of days per week, number of burners, and length of time she has them on.
    justleesa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justleesa View Post
    Aloha!

When planning our home we opted for a gas range so that we won't be dependent on electricity. Now we have a friend (one person) living in the house and in 2 1/2 months she used up 48 gallons of propane. She didn't cook every day and it seems that that ran out pretty fast. I'm afraid we might have a leak somewhere.
    So I guess my question is, how long does your propane last?

Aloha and thanks for your time!

Is the heater on, ? How about the water heater ? Those things all consume propane. Also, does this person bake or broil a lot ? Also, you need a much bigger tank that that little one you are showing in the picture.

In the winter, with a propane stove, water heater and various propane heaters, my wife and I go through about 80 gallons a month, depending on how cold it gets. It gets to -25 here in the mountains
    justleesa likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nadja View Post
    Is the heater on, ? How about the water heater ? Those things all consume propane. Also, does this person bake or broil a lot ? Also, you need a much bigger tank that that little one you are showing in the picture.

In the winter, with a propane stove, water heater and various propane heaters, my wife and I go through about 80 gallons a month, depending on how cold it gets. It gets to -25 here in the mountains
    We used to go through about that much in our old house. But in our new one, we are right at about thirty gallons a month, but winter hasn't hit yet. Though we do have a tankless waterheater, and several other things that save a good bit.

If you flat out can't afford to get rid of those outdated water heaters, make sure you drain it every couple months. Even if you don't have hard water, in a three month time frame you can look to accumulate several pounds of salts at the bottom of the tank. That can increase your energy usage by up to twenty five percent.
    AquaHull and Paravani like this.
    “Every person's life is theirs by right. An individuals life can and must only belong to himself, no to any society or community, or he is then but a slave."

Question do you get your gas from a propane company?
    If so get them to come out and do a leak check company policy
    Its free. If they cant find a leak have them do a flow and lock up check
    One or the other test will tell you the problem.
    Your problem is one of three things.
    1 a leak in the line
    2 a leak at the appliance
    3 a problem at the regulator
    If your line is underground it could be a leak because the ground
    Has shifted. Hence the flow and lock up test(it takes 30 min mininum)
    Hope this helps
    Paravani likes this.

We used 10% of a big propane tank last 2 weeks and it was warm, about 20 gallons, I'll need to verify with the bill after the box whine.

We cook several times a week with propane and it has very little impact on the volume of our tank. The tank may go down by 2 or 3 gallons over a couple of months.
    justleesa likes this.

I have two hundred pound tanks together running just a kitchen stove.
    We cook on it everyday, they last over a year.
    Either you have a leak or another appliance running on it.
    justleesa likes this.

Banned

that does sound a little fast to be using up all that propane. At my old hunting lodge we used to sit on that tank for months and not wear it down even halfway
    justleesa likes this.

Sorry for not responding, I have to check the settings, thought I had it so I would get an email.

Anyway, thanks for your insight and here is a bit more information.

The propane if for the gas range only. We have a wood burning stove and also have an oil furnace and have an electric water heater (baby steps).

We had a neighbor check and the highest number on the gauge is 80 and the needle is pointing to 75. So my guess it that it is still pretty full. Tested it and the stove does in fact work. Don't know what happened. Can it be that the incoming line can freeze up if you, lets say have all the burners on? You know like when you open a scuba tank and the tank gets all frosty. Or can it freeze in cold weather? Do we need to think about insulating the tank and the lines??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links