Whats the deal with cotton ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Whats the deal with cotton ? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; One thing thats been drilled into me since I was a kid is that cotton is THE WORST choice for survival clothes because it soaks ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Whats the deal with cotton ?

One thing thats been drilled into me since I was a kid is that cotton is THE WORST choice for survival clothes because it soaks up water and retains little heat.
    For quite some time now Ive been mulling this over in my head.
    I know the latest and greatest thing for survival/tactical/ military/law enforcement hiking and so on... seems to be cotton cargo pants. It seems like there is a standard lately that any prepared professional person has cargo pants.
    Every brand ive looked at is largely cotton. The ones sold for hikers and other outdoorsy people... same thing cotton.
    It kind of feels like an episode of the twilight zone. I was hoping somebody could shed some light on this. At the moment the only two options I see for long term survival clothes that are available are cotton jeans or cotton cargo pants. The same for other items of clothing but to a much lesser degree.
    Personally im thinking of switching to buckskins any way . I just dont want to be naked when the end comes lol
    survival, Denton, shotlady and 1 others like this.

Go to a good outdoor store and you'll have plenty of non-cotton choices.

Read where it was made. As always, keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer, that was their motive.
    Blackcat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hehe yes survival that is a good point that didnt occur to me.

Not a lot of outdoors stores here but there is... one I might be able to try about three hours from here.
    I do most of my shopping online and most of it ends up as a colossal failure lol
    survival likes this.

When I go camping, I try to pack absolutely as little cotton as possible. Polyester/rayon long underwear, Fleece or microfleece pants/top. I have some thinner synthetic cargopants that came from walmart or something, sometimes they have zip off legs. Look for fishing gear, usually is fast dry and has lots of pockets.

Cotton is also heavier and takes up much more room when packing than synthetics.

Don't discount cotton altogether.... buy the right material for the right climate. Lightweight cotton that breathes is great in a hot dry climate. Of course... you are Northern Canada so you ought to be wearing a polar bear or something...
    rice paddy daddy and JDE101 like this.

Super Moderator

I like my cotton, but I am also in Alabama. Never gets so cold that I have to worry about the things you other folks do.
    shotlady likes this.

i love my silk long johns, keeps ya cool when its hot and warm when its cold. also i can slip my motorcylce leathers right on over and helps me get my pants off which is usually a two person job! getting outa sport bike leathers is super tricky! not with silk long johns!

The Good Cop

Living in Canada wool would probably be the best because it will keep you warm even when wet.
    Living in Florida, as I do, this would only be necessary in winter, which is the third Tuesday in January.
    Cotton "survival" clothing is marketed because the fabric is relatively cheap, off shore labor is cheap, and the markup is huge when the words "tactical" or "survival" are added. This has nothing to do with the actual use of the clothing and everything to do with maximizing profits.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Oh hi Denton long time no see !
    I think I will see what I can track down. My favorite choices for clothing personally are wool and leather/buckskin.
    I do my own tanning so I guess ill just stick to buckskin clothes and woolys if TSHTF.
    Denton likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links