Sandbags
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sandbags

This is a discussion on Sandbags within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; It was suggested that I have a supply of sandbags on hand to build a bullet proof barrier if it comes down to defending the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sandbags

Sandbags

It was suggested that I have a supply of sandbags on hand to build a bullet proof barrier if it comes down to defending the home against attackers. Makes sense. But how many sandbags does one store up? Do any of you keep a stockpile of sandbags? How will you utilize them in defense of your home? In our situation, we have an unending supply of sand from a couple of washes that run through the property, and also a tractor to bring up sand to a staging area where bags would be filled. Sure it takes some time, but say the grid goes down. If I can't get out of town due to traffic congestion, then we still will have a couple of days to build defenses until the hoards start moving out from town. So what is you sandbag strategy? Any of you got a good source or ordering sandbags?
    Denton and trips-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RNprepper View Post
    It was suggested that I have a supply of sandbags on hand to build a bullet proof barrier if it comes down to defending the home against attackers. Makes sense. But how many sandbags does one store up? Do any of you keep a stockpile of sandbags? How will you utilize them in defense of your home? In our situation, we have an unending supply of sand from a couple of washes that run through the property, and also a tractor to bring up sand to a staging area where bags would be filled. Sure it takes some time, but say the grid goes down. If I can't get out of town due to traffic congestion, then we still will have a couple of days to build defenses until the hoards start moving out from town. So what is you sandbag strategy? Any of you got a good source or ordering sandbags?
    Our berms were four bags thick. I don't know if there were some science behind it or if it made the best walls.

Do some shooting! Heck, you can tell us what is the best thickness.

Remember, the magic behind the bags of sand is that the sand moves, and that makes it absorb the energy. Let the sand get hard and it becomes easier to punch through.
    PaulS likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

i am not short on sand bags, both filled and empty. i got mine at different surplus stores and gun shows. they aint cheap, last time i bought some' they were 15 cents each..think they up to a quarter now.

the sand bags start off soft, but over the years they get hard as stone. i found if you keep the weather off them they last for years. for y2k, i has 2 - 14 yard trucks deliver me sand. yep, i filled bags for months 1 at a time..i had a system...lol

most positions are still holding up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sandbags-016.jpg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Would the bags that coffee beans come in work? I see those listed on Craigs List frequently. You could check with any places that roast coffee beans and see what they do with their bags.
    darsk20 and Camel923 like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

the bad thing about them clothe bags are that that rot in hardly no time. we have a rice mill here were I got some plastic woven bags.. the only thing is that they were white.. used them for inside fortifying

and just to let you know mam...its work filling and setting the sand bags

I had got a crap load of concrete test cylinders I bet I have move locations 10 times with them over the years
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sandbags-023.jpg  

Camel923 and Denton like this.

Sandbags are also good for floods.
    Denton likes this.

If you would prefer to build a more "permanent" barrier, or even a "safe room", concrete blocks filled with gravel (a little bigger than pea gravel) will stop just about any round the tries to penetrate it.

The "physics" involved for this protective barrier are pretty simple:

1. The projectile strikes and penetrates the outer layer of the concrete block, which slows the projectile down.

2. The gravel then chews up the projectile into shrapnel

3. If the shrapnel penetrates the gravel and strikes the inner layer of the concrete block, it no longer has the velocity or small surface area necessary to penetrate the inner layer.

As Denton suggested, it is an excellent idea to set up various materials and thicknesses and blast away at them, to see what stops various calibers of ammo the best.

Sandbags obviously have a lot going for them. They've been used through many wars and conflicts.
    redhawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trips-man View Post
    Sandbags are also good for floods.
    I filled many a bag during the floods on Lacque Sainte Claire in the 70,s and 80's
    trips-man and Denton like this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Would the bags that coffee beans come in work? I see those listed on Craigs List frequently. You could check with any places that roast coffee beans and see what they do with their bags.
    The coffee bean sacks I have seen on freight trailers are very large. Filled with sand even two people would struggle to pick one up.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Retired Moderator

Yes they are very large. You wouldn't have to fill them all the way, couldn't you fold 1/2 of it over?
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links