How Much Ammo Stores Do You Maintain
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How Much Ammo Stores Do You Maintain within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Just out of curiosity I would like to hear some input on others about how much ammo you keep on hand. My wife seems to ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How Much Ammo Stores Do You Maintain

Just out of curiosity I would like to hear some input on others about how much ammo you keep on hand. My wife seems to think I have an ammo hoarder thing going on. I currently own 9 different firearms in 5 different calibers, .22, .380, .38 special, 9mm and 12ga. Just for grins I took an inventory of my ammo last night...no easy task by the way...and found out that I have over 11,000 rounds with .9mm being the most plentiful at 4750 rounds of various loads. My wife is a little concerned that in the event that we had a house fire then the entire neighborhood would have to vacate the area.
    WVTactics likes this.
    "What Goes Around Comes Around...I Just Make Get There Faster"

I keep a lot of .22lr on hand as I think it is about the most versatile for the cost. A well aimed 22 will kill anything from squirrel to white tail.
    C5GUY likes this.

Banned

I keep 1000 rounds minimum for every different gun and a box full of just shooting ammo fmj slugs
    C5GUY likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by C5GUY View Post
    Just out of curiosity I would like to hear some input on others about how much ammo you keep on hand. My wife seems to think I have an ammo hoarder thing going on. I currently own 9 different firearms in 5 different calibers, .22, .380, .38 special, 9mm and 12ga. Just for grins I took an inventory of my ammo last night...no easy task by the way...and found out that I have over 11,000 rounds with .9mm being the most plentiful at 4750 rounds of various loads. My wife is a little concerned that in the event that we had a house fire then the entire neighborhood would have to vacate the area.
    Dunhams, Walmart, Dicks, Gary's Guns, Moe's Hardware, so I keep 5 stores on hand.
    C5GUY likes this.

Im not sure What a good SHTF number of rounds per firearm would be.
    I try to aim for 1000 rounds for each firearm I own and enough reloading supplies powder primers and such to reload each caliber at least 10 times or more till the brass wears out. I also hoard lead.
    I try to keep factory ammo for when it really counts... sort of like a fine wine. I load a round for each gun that I consider the best round for that specific gun. Once I know how that load handles I then make a light rather inexpensive round for plinking and other practice shooting to keep material cost low and save wear and tare on the gun.
    My goal is roughly enough rounds to last the life of the firearm before re barreling and such.
    I keep a couple .22's around with a few bricks of ammo but they really arent my thing. Ammo is cheap and versatile and they are a good gun that my elderly mother can handle comfortably. Most of my ammo is .300 win mag or .45/.454 ammo because thats what I have and what I practice with an if SHTF thats likely what ill be using. I can see a day the bullets run out (in general) I dread that day lol. So I treat my ammunition as if someday I will have the only bullets left and use them sparingly. I have trouble wrapping my head around spray and pray, it just seems so wasteful.
    BTW I dont know what its like globally but anywhere within decent driving distance to my location lead seems to be turning to gold. Its getting harder and harder to find and people are on waiting lists to get buckets of wheel weight lead. Remember those things tire shops couldnt pay to get rid of at one time. I would suggest learn to reload and if you do any amount of shooting invest in building a good lead trap and save every scrap you can ! Actually no... dont learn to reload... that way theres more lead for me lol.
    C5GUY likes this.

You can never have too much ammo on hand! If nothing else, it can be used for trade for other stuff after TSHTF!
    C5GUY likes this.

Contrary to what your wife thinks, your house will not explode. Gun powder is a propellant and NOT explosive. If you ever had a fire you would hear rounds cooking off but you wouldn't have an explosion where you'd need to evacuate the neighborhood.

With that said, I try to keep enough rounds for my firearms to be able to shoot monthly for a year without having to buy any new. How many is that? Sorry won't divulge that info, but take that for what it's worth.
    C5GUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCSir View Post
    Contrary to what your wife thinks, your house will not explode. Gun powder is a propellant and NOT explosive. If you ever had a fire you would hear rounds cooking off but you wouldn't have an explosion where you'd need to evacuate the neighborhood.

With that said, I try to keep enough rounds for my firearms to be able to shoot monthly for a year without having to buy any new. How many is that? Sorry won't divulge that info, but take that for what it's worth.
    I think it's the thought of all the ammo cooking off and lead flying all over the place that she is concerned about.
    "What Goes Around Comes Around...I Just Make Get There Faster"

I keep about a 1000 rounds of each caliber and some a bit more. I also have enough components on hand to reload all of it at least 5x more.

Goal is 1,000 rounds for each and 3,000 for .22
    For the Shotgun I'm setting the goal at 500 #7 and 500 00-Buck and an additional 250 in slugs.

Same way if you have a 30-06. You should have probably about 2,000 rounds but not all the same size and weight. Some small fast varmint bullets and some heavy ones for bear.

When I get an AR/AK platform I'll want 2,000 for that as well. I think you can use up ammo pretty quick in a defensive maneuver.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links