Store what you eat - Break the Rule
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Store what you eat - Break the Rule within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We have all heard "Store what you eat" and I agree with the idea for the most part.... However - There are some items which ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Store what you eat - Break the Rule

We have all heard "Store what you eat" and I agree with the idea for the most part.... However -

There are some items which you many not eat that you should consider stocking. Why?

Quick energy boost
    Trade/barter
    Add to other foods to stretch supplies

Oatmeal - many people will not eat cooked oatmeal by itself but added to hamburger it helps to stretch meat loaf, hamburgers, meatballs, bread, etc and it is filling
    AND it really does not change the taste

Peanut butter - great source of protein and good barter item as used for cookies with oatmeal -no bake type (plus if the raiders are allergic to it you can rub it on your body):glee:

Canned tuna or other sea food... great protein, good trade item

Quinoa - I dislike this stuff but you can add it to things to make more
    trips-man and OctopusPrime like this.

In a sense, you should try to store what you eat. After SHTF, you may not want to eat what you stomach is not use to (ie, bad rXn). However, you can only store certain foods for certain amounts of time.

There is a lot of truth in both philosophies. I don't drink hot coffee that much, I prefer green tea in am. The other day I decided to have some coffee so I broke into my stores and fixed a pot. My stomach felt like a boiling cauldron of volcanic goop all damn day as I wasn't used to it. Could pose a problem in a HTF sitiation.
    Maine-Marine likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I agree with break the rule. I do not like canned tuna, but I know others love it so I store it....Same with other seafoods...I just can't stomach them unless I am very hungry.
    Maine-Marine likes this.

Sometimes in life you eat what you get. If you don't like it go hungry. Store what you can is more like it in many ways some foods are just easier and more practical to store.
    Like getting that darn chicken ala king MRE 4 times in a row.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by trips-man View Post
    In a sense, you should try to store what you eat. After SHTF, you may not want to eat what you stomach is not use to (ie, bad rXn). However, you can only store certain foods for certain amounts of time.
    I agree you should store what you eat... but that is NOT the end all be ALL - I do not eat canned Tuna, nobody in my family eats it.... however I could if need be or I could trade it for something or give a can to a friend in need

MAY NOT eat... lol after SHTF - survivors will be eating lots of things they never had before... possum pie?

store certain food for certain time...yep.... but oatmeal will last forever (forever to me is now until I die - and I am 52..so 30 years yep..oatmeal will last 30 years)
    trips-man likes this.

Banned

In a true shtf, you want to provide a comfortable adjustment period for your family. They need to transition from eating what they like to eating what is practical.

If i can stock up on oatmeal as a meat extender, i think that is a very good idea. However, i have no intention to force this on them in the first 6months or what have you.
    Maine-Marine and trips-man like this.

I think children pose a whole 'nother challenge when it comes to food. That's why no children allowed at Slippy Lodge post SHTF. Plus they always have stuffy noses and touch things with their grimy hands. Just kidding:smug:

But seriously, children often have more allergies that they grow out of during teen age years. And they are very habitual eaters. I remember Son 2 when he was 5 years old, I think he ate an American Cheese Sandwich every day for a year. Just a slice of American Cheese and two pieces of bread. Kids are hilarious, nasty little creatures but hilarious! :joyous:

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    In a true shtf, you want to provide a comfortable adjustment period for your family. They need to transition from eating what they like to eating what is practical.

If i can stock up on oatmeal as a meat extender, i think that is a very good idea. However, i have no intention to force this on them in the first 6months or what have you.
    We are a kinder prepperforum / a gentler prepperforum and we are no longer allowed to make comments about the poster, only the post- so I am not going to call you a poopy head as I explain in nice and friendly terms WHY you are incorrect

in a HTF situation - Waiting 6 months to start conserving food may not be the best thing to do... next time you make meatloaf - add a little extra milk and 1/2 cup of quick oatmeal....do not tell the family..see what happens....it is not like you are giving them poison
    tinkerhell likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    [COLOR="#006400"]do not tell the family..see what happens....it is not like you are giving them poison
    There are some in my family that I would be tempted to poison should they show up at Slippy Lodge post SHTF. My theory is that everyone's family is made up of approximately 50-60% crazy people.
    Maine-Marine likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links