Question,,,,Water storage - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question,,,,Water storage

This is a discussion on Question,,,,Water storage within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier city water is less pure than "wild" water. Too many chemicals and additives, plus lime and rust and corrosion from old ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Question,,,,Water storage

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    city water is less pure than "wild" water. Too many chemicals and additives, plus lime and rust and corrosion from old pipes. It just doesn't have the bacteria and parasites which you could easily remove yourself with those couple drops of bleach.
    That's why I use a reverse osmosis system. But it takes out everything, except bacteria and virus (I assume that's what you meant by parasites?). But the human body needs some of the dissolved minerals in water.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I stored city water for years with 10 drops of bleach per gallon. I rotated the milk jugs at three years and you could smell the bleach but I used it to drink, cook, and do the dishes. It was fine. The jugs got filled back up with another 10 drops of bleach and placed back in storage. I never had any break or leak.

paraquack likes this.
    Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I have a question about storing water. I have seen in some post that you can put
    a little bleach in water for long term storage. But if I use city water will that still be necessary?
    Short story: My water storage is city water in washed pop bottles, I don't add additional bleach.

Here is my opinion only, I believe it is good for the area that I live in, but recognize that not all city water is equal:

City water is already put through several purifying efforts - including chlorination - before the water reaches your home.

I consider my tap water more suitable for storage than store bought bottled water, because much of the chlorination MIGHT be removed from store bought water during factory efforts to improve the taste.

If store bottled water is good for 6 months, I consider my water to be good for atleast that much or longer.

My plans are to replace the water once per year. Easy to do, if I schedule it for laundry day, several weekends in a row.

As my pop bottles outgrow the space that I have for them, I plan to cash them in and replace them with larger man totable water containers. Depending on the ease of cleaning the larger containers, I may elect to add more chlorine to a difficult to clean container.
    paraquack and trips-man like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    I stored city water for years with 10 drops of bleach per gallon. I rotated the milk jugs at three years and you could smell the bleach but I used it to drink, cook, and do the dishes. It was fine. The jugs got filled back up with another 10 drops of bleach and placed back in storage. I never had any break or leak.
    off topic question: What type of milk jug?

The one gallon plastic jugs - with screw-on lids

Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    The one gallon plastic jugs - with screw-on lids
    Thanks. When I first started saving my pop bottles, I also started to save my 1gal milk jug. I've slowed down on the milk jugs because of bad reports and they are often sour before I get them away from Mrs Tinkerhell's kitchen.

I've read many complaints about the 1 gal bottles failing. I've always considered that it was a handling issue but a fellow prepperforums member PM'd me and suggested that the plastic is somewhat biodegradable and breaks down over time.

It's encouraging that you have some that are over 3 years old.

I've been doing my own experiment. I've been keeping some of the milk jugs in my mud room. I use them to keep my dog's water bowl fresh. So far, I have about a dozen jugs, all pushing 10 months old, and I haven't had any problems. They've been handled and refilled atleast once every month.

On the other hand, I have 1gal jugs in my garage that I use for wash water. my water freezes during the winter, I've lost about 1/3 of my jugs from freezing damage

No stored goods in bottles or cans should be where they can freeze. That can cause problems across the board. Sunlight can affect the milk jugs and make them brittle over time but keep them in the dark (away from UV) and from extreme temps and you will be golden. I stacked mine 3 high by using 1/2 plywood between levels but I stopped doing that because the bottom level was the one that needed rotation.

trips-man and tinkerhell like this.
    Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links