Skills to pass on
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Skills to pass on

This is a discussion on Skills to pass on within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Flat tires cars, bikes ,truck really anything that has rubber tires on it were once a common thing. I think most of us knew how ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Skills to pass on

Skills to pass on

Flat tires cars, bikes ,truck really anything that has rubber tires on it were once a common thing. I think most of us knew how to remove a tire patch a tube and get it back to normal pretty quickly. Then came tubeless we adapted and learned to plug and or remove and patch.
    We knew all the tricks how to do it without removing a tire from the vehicle ect. Over the years tires have gotten a lot better on every thing. Flats are just not as common . I can not remember the last time one of our cars had a flat.
    Freak thing yesterday, lawn mower and dolly cart 3 flats. the mower it seems a crack in a tubeless tire was leaking . Just happen to have a tube that size around, fixed it with out ever taking the tire off the mower. The dolly had tubes. I ask wife to pick up a tube patch kit in town.
    She said not one of the dummies working in the place knew what that was. I wonder how many of us have some tire spoons around. I knew where mine where even if I had not used them in some time. Even have a large set for tractor tires. Father in law and I use to fix our own on the farm.
    Seems something we missed in our preps. I will be adding a few patch and plug kits to the storage list. Depending on when/where you grew up skills that are second nature to you, are never given any though to others.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Good point Smitty. I taught our sons how to change a flat when they were young and I would guess neither have had to to change their own tires in their short driving careers.

I have gone to solid core tires on many of my wheelbarrows and carts and such. Tractor Supply has many different sized tires for a reasonable price.

As far as my larger vehicles, I have missed those preps too and I would be screwed if SHTF and my tractor tire blew. Good thread.
    paraquack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Good point Smitty. I taught our sons how to change a flat when they were young and I would guess neither have had to to change their own tires in their short driving careers.

I have gone to solid core tires on many of my wheelbarrows and carts and such. Tractor Supply has many different sized tires for a reasonable price.

As far as my larger vehicles, I have missed those preps too and I would be screwed if SHTF and my tractor tire blew. Good thread.
    Slippy when in school at very young age oldest son was tagged as being some what advanced. They gave him a test with like 600 pictures he had to respond to each.
    Of course they decide what is correct and what is not. One of the pictures the only one he "got wrong" was a car with a flat tire. His response was get grandpa to fix it .
    Their correct answer was , call a tow truck ect. I explained to the person that gave the test it don't work that way out here. That was over 30 years ago.
    Funny when I think back on that picture , how UN-PC it would be today. It was a female holding a baby standing by the car.
    Slippy, paraquack and darsk20 like this.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Change a car tire (imho) should be part of gaining your car licence (includes location of fluids and how to top up)

To fixing a tube tire, I was taught that when I was using push bikes as a main form of transport... Its likely I still have a patch kit floating around just no glue....

Both skills should be under common skills passed through generations...
    Slippy likes this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Maybe add a can of ether to the preps?

How to set a tire bead using starter fluid:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncWj30tG4gQ
    Slippy likes this.

Hidden Content

My accommodation of your incompetence does not make you right.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Maybe add a can of ether to the preps?

How to set a tire bead using starter fluid:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncWj30tG4gQ
    While not a recommended practice I will admit to having done that.
    sideKahr likes this.

I've never had to use one, so, don't know how good they work. Maybe a can of fix-a-flat.

Wouldn't hunting and game/fish processing be a little more valuable. Most won't have cars or gas but all will need to eat. 90% of the sheep I talk to don't even know how to clean a squirrel let alone a deer. They just take it to a processor and pick up the packages.
    Camel923 likes this.

How about "how to loot and plunder". just kidding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links