Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Skills to pass on

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  paraquack 
#1 ·
Flat tires cars, bikes ,truck really anything that has rubber tires on it were once a common thing. I think most of us knew how to remove a tire patch a tube and get it back to normal pretty quickly. Then came tubeless we adapted and learned to plug and or remove and patch.
We knew all the tricks how to do it without removing a tire from the vehicle ect. Over the years tires have gotten a lot better on every thing. Flats are just not as common . I can not remember the last time one of our cars had a flat.
Freak thing yesterday, lawn mower and dolly cart 3 flats. the mower it seems a crack in a tubeless tire was leaking . Just happen to have a tube that size around, fixed it with out ever taking the tire off the mower. The dolly had tubes. I ask wife to pick up a tube patch kit in town.
She said not one of the dummies working in the place knew what that was. I wonder how many of us have some tire spoons around. I knew where mine where even if I had not used them in some time. Even have a large set for tractor tires. Father in law and I use to fix our own on the farm.
Seems something we missed in our preps. I will be adding a few patch and plug kits to the storage list. Depending on when/where you grew up skills that are second nature to you, are never given any though to others.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good point Smitty. I taught our sons how to change a flat when they were young and I would guess neither have had to to change their own tires in their short driving careers.

I have gone to solid core tires on many of my wheelbarrows and carts and such. Tractor Supply has many different sized tires for a reasonable price.

As far as my larger vehicles, I have missed those preps too and I would be screwed if SHTF and my tractor tire blew. Good thread.

#3 ·
Good point Smitty. I taught our sons how to change a flat when they were young and I would guess neither have had to to change their own tires in their short driving careers.

I have gone to solid core tires on many of my wheelbarrows and carts and such. Tractor Supply has many different sized tires for a reasonable price.

As far as my larger vehicles, I have missed those preps too and I would be screwed if SHTF and my tractor tire blew. Good thread.
Slippy when in school at very young age oldest son was tagged as being some what advanced. They gave him a test with like 600 pictures he had to respond to each.
Of course they decide what is correct and what is not. One of the pictures the only one he "got wrong" was a car with a flat tire. His response was get grandpa to fix it .
Their correct answer was , call a tow truck ect. I explained to the person that gave the test it don't work that way out here. That was over 30 years ago.
Funny when I think back on that picture , how UN-PC it would be today. It was a female holding a baby standing by the car.

#4 ·
Change a car tire (imho) should be part of gaining your car licence (includes location of fluids and how to top up)

To fixing a tube tire, I was taught that when I was using push bikes as a main form of transport... Its likely I still have a patch kit floating around just no glue....

Both skills should be under common skills passed through generations...

Reactions: Slippy
#7 ·
While not a recommended practice I will admit to having done that.

Reactions: sideKahr
#13 ·
Good way to get hurt. but sometimes it can be the only way to seal a bead on a tubeless tire

#9 ·
Wouldn't hunting and game/fish processing be a little more valuable. Most won't have cars or gas but all will need to eat. 90% of the sheep I talk to don't even know how to clean a squirrel let alone a deer. They just take it to a processor and pick up the packages.

#11 ·
Great point! I'll be adding these items in both my GHB and BIB...Thanks for reminding / enlightening us!

#12 ·
Good tip. I have overlooked this. Adding to the list. Thanks Smitty

#15 ·
I taught my daughter how to jump a battery, check fluids and change a tire prior to getting a drivers license. Before that, firearms training and archery. And we are talking girly girl, not a tom boy. My main job was to get her to be independant and provide for her self and her future family. She has done well and I am now working on the boy.

Reactions: Slippy
#16 ·
You can still find patch kits and tire levers (I think that's what Smitty called a tire spoon?) in bike departments. The glue does not last more than a year whether or not its opened, though. It'll Seem to stick but the patch will fail pretty quickly.

Spare tubes last for years if left sealed in their plastic, even in a very temperature unstable environment...say, a bike bag.

If a bike's on your list of alternative transport, plenty of fresh tubes, extra tires, spare chain linkers and a spare chain or two, lube, and if you're a big guy even a couple of spare bottom brackets are good insurance for not much cash outlay. Extra spokes for wheels are good too, but then you need to know how to tension and true the wheels after. That set of things will keep most bikes running for years.

Car advice I'll leave to people who know it better. I can change tires and do fluid and pressure maintenance or charge a battery; then I'm done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.