Skills to pass on - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Skills to pass on

This is a discussion on Skills to pass on within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Great point! I'll be adding these items in both my GHB and BIB...Thanks for reminding / enlightening us!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Skills to pass on

Great point! I'll be adding these items in both my GHB and BIB...Thanks for reminding / enlightening us!
    When seconds count, help is minutes away...Support the Second Amendment!

Good tip. I have overlooked this. Adding to the list. Thanks Smitty
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    Good way to get hurt. but sometimes it can be the only way to seal a bead on a tubeless tire
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

How about something as simple as taking stock of what is close to your retreat - say within 10 miles an easy distance to bike to - like farms, doctors, cattle, chicken farms etc.

I taught my daughter how to jump a battery, check fluids and change a tire prior to getting a drivers license. Before that, firearms training and archery. And we are talking girly girl, not a tom boy. My main job was to get her to be independant and provide for her self and her future family. She has done well and I am now working on the boy.
    Slippy likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

You can still find patch kits and tire levers (I think that's what Smitty called a tire spoon?) in bike departments. The glue does not last more than a year whether or not its opened, though. It'll Seem to stick but the patch will fail pretty quickly.

Spare tubes last for years if left sealed in their plastic, even in a very temperature unstable environment...say, a bike bag.

If a bike's on your list of alternative transport, plenty of fresh tubes, extra tires, spare chain linkers and a spare chain or two, lube, and if you're a big guy even a couple of spare bottom brackets are good insurance for not much cash outlay. Extra spokes for wheels are good too, but then you need to know how to tension and true the wheels after. That set of things will keep most bikes running for years.

Car advice I'll leave to people who know it better. I can change tires and do fluid and pressure maintenance or charge a battery; then I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Flat tires cars, bikes ,truck really anything that has rubber tires on it were once a common thing. I think most of us knew how to remove a tire patch a tube and get it back to normal pretty quickly. Then came tubeless we adapted and learned to plug and or remove and patch.
    We knew all the tricks how to do it without removing a tire from the vehicle ect. Over the years tires have gotten a lot better on every thing. Flats are just not as common . I can not remember the last time one of our cars had a flat.
    Freak thing yesterday, lawn mower and dolly cart 3 flats. the mower it seems a crack in a tubeless tire was leaking . Just happen to have a tube that size around, fixed it with out ever taking the tire off the mower. The dolly had tubes. I ask wife to pick up a tube patch kit in town.
    She said not one of the dummies working in the place knew what that was. I wonder how many of us have some tire spoons around. I knew where mine where even if I had not used them in some time. Even have a large set for tractor tires. Father in law and I use to fix our own on the farm.
    Seems something we missed in our preps. I will be adding a few patch and plug kits to the storage list. Depending on when/where you grew up skills that are second nature to you, are never given any though to others.
    I was amazed when I needed to rent a car, a Hyundai. Nice and cheap but the guy opens the trunk ans shows me a box, "this is the patch kit, no spare."
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links