Difficulty with ferro rod. - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Difficulty with ferro rod.

This is a discussion on Difficulty with ferro rod. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Humidity is a strange thing to fire lighting.... It makes it harder... Only because of the moisture.... Also your ferro rod might have been a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Difficulty with ferro rod.

Humidity is a strange thing to fire lighting.... It makes it harder... Only because of the moisture....

Also your ferro rod might have been a little damp from body sweat, that sounds like a issue since you weren't getting much of a spark... My thoughts on it anyways... (it might also be a dodgy rod)
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Pictures from our camping trip.

Difficulty with ferro rod.-uploadfromtaptalk1435451258279.jpgDifficulty with ferro rod.-uploadfromtaptalk1435451272640.jpgDifficulty with ferro rod.-uploadfromtaptalk1435451314620.jpg

Hidden Content + Hidden Content = :couple_inlove:

Your dog? Everything looks so small. Especially the trees and the deer, Bambi baby deer? I need a ferro rod I only have magnesium.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

get a blast match it has never failed me even in the sub artic during a blizzard.
    oops

Quote Originally Posted by Medic33 View Post
    get a blast match it has never failed me even in the sub artic during a blizzard.
    Any good links?

Also yes, it's one of our dogs, and the deer were all young and super skinny, ribs were clearly visible
    James m likes this.
    Hidden Content

My accommodation of your incompetence does not make you right.

sportsman's guide, cabalas, bass pro shop, cheaper than dirt, 100's of others I was introduced to it in the military used to be an issue item in the SRU-21/P and alse vests
    it can be used with one hand
    here is a link I just googled for blast match don't know much about the store it was the first that came up.
    http://www.basegear.com/blastmatch.html
    Last edited by Medic33; 06-27-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    oops

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    Normally I am without issue on this, but I do practice under "controlled" circumstances.

Shoots and I went camping Thursday night.
    We set up a campfire. I harvested a dead standing mesquite tree and oak log. We made a tinder bundle out of mesquite bark, rolled into fibers and powder. It wouldn't light, even with some magnesium shavings. So, we got out one of our tinder creations (toilet paper tube lined with petroleum jelly, stuffed with dryer lint, and wrapped in duct tape. At home we can light these fairly quickly, especially with magnesium shavings. No joy.
    half a ferro rod later, we had tried a striker, knife, and finally scissors, before Shoots finally caught a small flame which I fanned I to a decent cooking fire.

We don't know what we did wrong. Sparks just wouldn't catch. There was a steady breeze, and the fire pit had a gap under the ring to let air in. It was humid, but probably about 40% or so. It has been raining, lady at the campground said the lake was still 19 feet above flood level, but the wood was dry, and the bark was very dry.
    Shoots "winning" spark was produced by a pair of fiskars scissors at a very shallow angle.
    Any ideas?
    Try adding a wick about three inches long inserted into the tube mix.
    Form it into a circle with most attache to the face of the end with enough protruding to lght.
    Make it out of paracord and wax it, burns real good.
    Sounds like the thing was acting like a heat sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic33 View Post
    sportsman's guide, cabalas, bass pro shop, cheaper than dirt, 100's of others I was introduced to it in the military used to be an issue item in the SRU-21/P and alse vests
    it can be used with one hand
    here is a link I just googled for blast match don't know much about the store it was the first that came up.
    Ultimate Survival Blast Match - On Sale
    Ah, we have one. It didn't work.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links