low cost or no cost tips for newbes
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on low cost or no cost tips for newbes within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; From time to time I see post from new preppers wanting to to know how to get started and a lot of the time the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: low cost or no cost tips for newbes

From time to time I see post from new preppers wanting to to know how to get started
    and a lot of the time the problem is money. Usually it's someone young which is a good
    thing. So why don't we make a few suggestions to help them get started? things that seem
    like old hack to us --like water jugs in the freezer-- are new to them and they will find these
    tips helpful. I'll start,,

When ever you go to a fast food restaurant for a burger or what ever, Ask for a package of
    honey. The shelf life is like forever and it has many uses. You will be surprised how fast you
    have a quart jar full.

Not many food products come in glass jars but when you get one save it and the lid they are good
    for storing everything from homemade sewing kits to extra shoelaces.

who else has a tip?
    CWOLDOJAX and 1skrewsloose like this.

IMHO, most young preppers have a mind set that everything is purchased because that's the way they were brought up. Hopefully the decision to prep makes them open to a change in their lifestyle. The idea of going to church "rummage sales", estate sales, and garage sales to find equipment at a BIG discount would be a great start. I've found lots of camping equipment and clothing for a couple of dollars each. These sales can be veritable treasure troves. Going to a bakery or such to find 3-5 gallon pails with lids from frosting (no smell)has helped me to cut the cost of my food storage. Saving my money so I could buy in bulk instead of buying one pound of rice or noodles at a time is hard but it helps.

Along with budget's idea on the honey, the same applies to all condiments, especially sugar. If you are one of the large group of people who need help with food (due to the economy), swallow your pride and hit the food banks. My sister would go in the morning and get the regular box they put up for the needy and then would go back just before closing and ask if there was any food that no one wanted. Some of it was stuff you'd never think about eating but it was good wholesome food. It just required a change in mindset.
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I found it helpful to do these things:

Do not buy anything that only serves one purpose.
    A local boy scout troop leader takes his troop to yards sales for their camping needs.
    "Practice" couponing and saving. If you save $5 in coupons at the store put $5 in savings.
    A family of four can save $2000/year that way.
    Talk to the homeless. They have amazing tips to survive. They are in a constant SHTF mode.
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    First inventory what you already have. Why go out and buy some shiny new thing when one might have that same thing just hid under or in a box somewhere. Second have a plan for what you're actually preparing for. One approach is to consider what is the most likely thing to happen and start preparing for that. This doesn't need to be a huge emergency. If one is on the road a lot as an example consider how to be prepared for a vehicle breakdown. If one lives in an area prone to a lot of thunderstorms that can knock out power how would one fare until the power is restored. There are other approaches. Third start educating oneself. There is a ton of information available online for free. One might have to sift through what is good info and what is not but it's out there. Fourth start walking/jogging. It's free, it keeps one healthy, and you'll start to get a sense of where things are in your local area.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

first thing is make a plan on how your going to do it and stick to it.

prepping is a way of life not a hobby.
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.
    oops

Consider low tech to fill your needs or for back up systems. No power or fuel, no problem for low tech
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Hit garage and estate sales when you can. Finding quality tools on the cheap can't be beat.
    dsdmmat likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Every once in a while I stop into the local goodwill store (we actually have two here in town)

I picked up a field jacket liner not long ago and last week i got a pair of jeans...like new $4

I never buy shoes or boots or underwear... but I will pick up a pair of pants , shorts, or shirt.

a couple of months ago they had a bunch of Dickie's still with tags and size stickers (the peel off one that run down the leg) I think they must have came out of a fire...none were my size

I finally got my 82 year old mother to get some items stored away for a month long bug-in situation. That gives us peace of mind that she will be OK while we work out a rescue plan or get our own situation together. Anyway, this is what we set her up with:

* 50 gal water barrel ($23 at feed store - was used for syrup or some such food item). We need to plug in a valve at the bottom for her. Until then, she has a siphon tube.
    * Solar Oven (She bought this last year when she saw ours. She loves it.) I could also make her a small rocket stove for pan cooking.
    * Back up medications (Got her on an auto refill program where she can get refills every 3 weeks instead of every month. She can gradually build up a supply.)
    * Basic food items that she can and will use now, rotating through the supply over a year. (Rice, beans, quinoa, canned tuna/meat, canned soups, canned veggies/fruit, spices, sugar, flour, honey, condiments - all the stuff she normally uses and is suitable for stove top cooking or sun oven cooking - one month's supply.)
    *Basic first aid stuff
    *Cash
    *She also bought a bunch of silver, but that was purely her choice.
    *Radio
    *Extra cat food and litter
    *Tools (her husband has all the basic items) but if not, I would have gotten her a basic tool box of stuff she would be able to use.
    *Very basic home survival stuff: Matches, 100 hour candle, flashlights, batteries, duck tape, good manual can opener, TP, soap, shampoo, toothpaste (all the toiletries she normally uses).

We've discussed water usage and waste management. I've told her to keep her gas tank at least half full.
    She would be fine if the lights went out for up to a month.

This is what I would tell a beginner prepper - start with what you would need for just one month. Add a basic get-home bag for your car in case you get stuck and have to walk home.
    Then..... while you add more long term supplies, keep your monthly supply going so that you always have that available without breaking into those 30 year buckets.
    The other stuff can come a little at a time, especially if you watch for sales and pick up an extra can or two every time you shop.

Prepping involves acquiring skill sets as well as supplies. I would say to learn skills as fast as you can - gardening, shooting, butchering, camping, hiking, first aid, safe water, safe food prep, cooking with alternate methods, communications, etc. There are free programs, demonstrations, and clubs you can join. Don't just read books - do it!

I would also tell them to get their tetanus and hepatitis A shots.
    paraquack likes this.

Banned

Preps that are not only free but "SAVE YOU MONEY"

unplug every major electrical appliance that draws more than 500 watts or 4 amps.

Learn to make fire with sticks natural firestarting

learn to dig water condensation holes to gather water.

learn to make a leanto.

learn what plants and animals are usable in your area.

make some prepperbuddies.

join local disaster releif orgs.

if legal hit your local dump sites or "places people ditch stuff they have to pay to dispose" "try groups like freecycle" or free sections of online classifieds. Usually you can score metal, electronics, and even wood (which can be repurposed from furniture - it has a value in DIY) DC motors from fans etc.. you can find uses for the stuff... learning is a major part of prepping, it ain't all about a classic list of 50 survival items.Fact is humans survive off the land, not the warehouse or factory - if you want to become a good prepper become a good survivalist, then prep materials you can get from your surroundings.
    Depending on your area, there may be a lot of material waste or little
    scout scout scout.. it is fun to discover things you didn't know about an area.

Often there are tons of backtrails in every community only small groups use.

Try learning to do the things people pay for, then get out into the community.

A good start is to know what goes "into stuff" so you know what you can get from it. You see paino, I see wood surfaces, ivory keys, piano wire and metal. You see Analog TV I see electronics, cathode ray tube wiring, magnets etc..

Try ATeam and macguyver.
    Last edited by Will2; 06-23-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links