Mans best friend, to shoot or not to shoot
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Mans best friend, to shoot or not to shoot within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Okay, the scenario: The S has HTF. For whatever reason, fire, flood, riots, you have to bug out. You have a secondary safe place, perhaps ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Mans best friend, to shoot or not to shoot

Okay, the scenario:

The S has HTF. For whatever reason, fire, flood, riots, you have to bug out. You have a secondary safe place, perhaps with relatives across the town/county/state. But because of fuel shortage the authorities have restricted auto traffic to essential personnel only, and you ain't one. So you're walking, maybe for a few days. Prudence dictates staying off the roads. Perhaps a mixture of daylight/night travel along trails/streams depending on your route and the hazards along it.

This may seem trivial, but how are you going to handle dogs enroute. Crossing peoples property/farm fields will draw attention from these guys, maybe aggressive attention. Dogs never liked me much when I was wearing a pack. If you have young kids with you this is a serious danger. Do you shoot them? Folks tend to get mad when you shoot their dogs. Pepper spray? What if there's more than one, big ones.

I don't have a good answer.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 05-05-2015 at 02:28 PM.

If it's a threat, dispatch it. If it's barking behind a fence, or keeping it's distance while it harasses you - just keep moving.
    Arklatex likes this.

I believe roaming packs of abandoned dogs will be a real problem. Hungry and with no fear of humans, they will be dangerous. I believe putting them down quietly and efficiently is the best thing to do. Possibly subsonic .22 ammo and a revolver may be a good method.
    paraquack and Arklatex like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

but if the dog is something like caucasian shepherd than .22 wont help
    Mans best friend, to shoot or not to shoot-j3agm.jpg
    Check Out My Survival Youtube Channel
    Hidden Content

First off, try not to trespass. If you trespass on my property and then shoot one of my dogs for doing its job. You pay heavy consequences... My pack minds and would not be out roaming unless I was with them on a hunt.

BUT. Feral and aggressive dogs will be put down humanely. I can see them being a big problem. Especially in the big cities.

Side thought. What about feral cats. They could easily have a major impact on small game, they already do but it will be worse in SHTF. They get rabbits and squirrels all the time.
    sideKahr, chemikle and Slippy like this.

That why they made bigger ammo. I share Slippy's concern. In Africa,
    packs of wild dogs have been documented to use one nice puppy type to lure
    people into a trap. I'd be ready to put down any and all wild dogs, even if they
    don't seem aggressive. But "wild" children scare me more.
    Slippy likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

You can't shoot the cats, for sure, or the rodent problem, with subsequent disease, will become unmanageable. Black plague is endemic in the western US.

Remember some people think of their dog like a kid. How will you know if it's a stray, threat or a guard dog doing his job. SOMEBODY shoots our dog for any reason they WILL get shot in return without a second thought. The best choice would be to pass by and try to be unnoticed. Only shoot the dog in self defense as a last resort if it's chewing on you. Then get the heck out of the area fast. The natives will be on their way and won't be happy.

The bigger problem will be all the sheople trying to get someplace. Shooting the game and taking resources and contaminating the rest others are counting on. This has been covered many times in past threads.

Cats taste like bacon when cooked over an open fire. Far tastier then any rabbit or squirrel. One of the best and easiest resources available in an emergency. Plus no one cares.
    Arklatex, chemikle, Slippy and 1 others like this.

Thanks Chipper. I never et a cat except that one time at the Chinese buffet. It tasted more like teriyaki than bacon though. Thanks for the heads up!

HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY, CLIQ CLIQ CLIQ...
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I believe roaming packs of abandoned dogs will be a real problem. Hungry and with no fear of humans, they will be dangerous. I believe putting them down quietly and efficiently is the best thing to do. Possibly subsonic .22 ammo and a revolver may be a good method.
    you know what we call those in a shtf?

LUNCH
    oops

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links