just got a small underground bunker. what should i put in it? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

just got a small underground bunker. what should i put in it?

This is a discussion on just got a small underground bunker. what should i put in it? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Sasquatch Hey Slip! Wanna go grab a beer? I was blocked from Mish's elitist party thread as well. Way ahead of you ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: just got a small underground bunker. what should i put in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Hey Slip! Wanna go grab a beer? I was blocked from Mish's elitist party thread as well.
    Way ahead of you Sasq...to Mrs Slippy's ever increasing concern...

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    I'm blocked from my own party!! This multiple personalities thing sucks squirrel nuggets! =) I wonder who I pissed off!!
    Update on Mrs Slippy and the tractor...Yes, she washed it!
    Mish likes this.

Super Moderator

Slippy, did she ride it after she was done cleaning it?
    Slippy likes this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

If it's anything like the one I've seen

a dehumidifier.

Opened the hatch and it was full of water. Being buried condensation eventually filled it with water.

Maybe a sump pump too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

ok storm shelter it is then. sorry my wife was dragging me off to bed and only had 30 seconds to type the first post. im in Australia and it might be hard for you US guys to believe but basements simply do not exist in Australia. I tried about 10 different home building companies to build our house and nobody would even contemplate the idea of building a basement. eventually I found one company that would allow me to put one in myself and have it completed and covered as long as it doesn't come within a foot of any part of the house. with those restrictions I only really had one choice of room to put it under. the 4.7m length (5.06m outside) allowed 1 foot either side before it reached the footings for either wall of that room. width was restricted to 2.6m outside(2.3minternal) as that is standard truck width to get it transported from half way across the country. for the record it is a reinforced concrete prefab rectangle. walls floor and roof either 6" or 7" thick. technically it is a wine cellar. concrete has been waterproofed but couldn't make it any taller as water table is not far below it I we couldn't risk flotation issues.
    a 6" hole cut for air in and a 6" cut for exhaust.
    I live in one of the most isolated capital citys in the world so less concerned about NCB weapons. more storm/bushfire/civil unrest concerns. nature reserve across the road is a fire risk.
    ideas on how to best use such a small space is what I am looking at. like the idea of the fold down table and chairs turning into double bed, monopoly, etc. toilet will be 5 gal bucket and bags but wont get used. will have mains water and power connected. couple of car batteries for backup. at least 7 day food and water.
    my main question is for others with a storm shelter under their house is what will they do if the house catches on fire? seal off the air vent and ride it out? I will have 4 inch house concrete slab then 4 inch sand then 7 inch concrete shelter between me and the fire. door hatch will be at 2 levels. wet blankets in shelter. maybe a scuba tank?
    thanks

I would vote to leave enough room for plenty of hooch..smokes..water and beanie weenies. Trash bags come in handy for going poo in the bucket most likely.
    Medic33 likes this.

if the house catches on fire - in a shelter such as that -ahh, cook I guess. sorry
    bigwheel likes this.
    oops

Baked tates. Smart thinking We best save this for tornadoes and nuke attacks etc.
    Medic33 likes this.

If your house catches on fire, get away from the house. Staying in an enclosed space a foot away from the burning building is not a good thing, even if you are underground. At the very least you would have a huge concern with smoke inhalation if the shelter isn't properly ventilated.

If wild fires are your main concern, you don't need a storm shelter; keep your land cleared of brush, wet down the things that won't get water damage, and if it gets bad enough, evacuate.

If flash floods are a concern, get as high as you can--a storm shelter would be a death trap. I don't know if that's a concern in your area or not, but I'll say it anyway. This also goes if you happen to be near water and have to deal with hurricanes and tropical storms.

I actually don't know if a storm shelter/bunker would actually be any good outside of nuclear war, tornadoes, or bombs being dropped on your head--and for two of those, you have to be deeper than I believe your shelter is.

Have I missed anything and/or gotten something wrong?
    bigwheel likes this.
    Hidden Content Because I am not a stripper from UT Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I do not deny the Darkness--I deny Evil.

As above, so below. As below, so above.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SirLSD View Post
    building a new house and will have a small bunker under it. was limited to size of 4.7m long, 2.3m wide, 2m high internal. roughly 5 yards long by 7 feet wide by just over 6 feet tall.
    will need to sleep 2 adults and 1 child.
    any advice appreciated.
    thanks
    Just build a subfloor that is hidden coceiled entry with false wall or floor things like circulation are important. Locality will also matter.

You can do it as a storm cellar.

It may be cheaper just to bury an old rv if you can find someone to bring that up to code. You can then bring in some type of ventilation into the heat/ac of the vehicle. make sure that your exhausts and intakes are filtered with a filter using 40mm NATO filter attachments can let you double gas mask filters to act as air intakes. Getting vapour sealing over the whole thing is a step to look into. Humidity is another consideration, consider women type of dehumidifier. UV light can keep out mold and be used to make food and water safer.

In the end if dealing with any type of construction check your local building codes.

IMO the cheapest way would be to just build a pool area in your basement then build a floor you can enter by. I'd plop the Rv down there or an old school bus, you can pick em up for a thousand if you look around.

Not aware of parking an Rv in your basement being illegal. then build the house around it. You can try to emp proof it then vapour seal get airlines through the Rv air pumps etc.. You have septic etc.. Weight isn't a problem cause the basement supports it. This is how I would do it if I was building a new house.

The only way it would be better is if there was a ramp that you could drive it out by removing the floor like an underground garage.

Plus if you ever build a new bunker connected through a renovation, you can use your hole as an indoor pool with a little work.
    https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...%3B1920%3B1333

http://www.bluepools.co.uk/basement-...ll-design.html

Back yard burried poolhall / rv garage.
    Last edited by Will2; 04-21-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    bigwheel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Will2 View Post
    IMO the cheapest way would be to just build a pool area in your basement then build a floor you can enter by.

The only way it would be better is if there was a ramp that you could drive it out by removing the floor like an underground garage.

Plus if you ever build a new bunker connected through a renovation, you can use your hole as an indoor pool with a little work.
    https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...%3B1920%3B1333
    I would love to be able to build a house with a basement but no building company will do it in Australia. I did find a company that would build an undercroft garage but thay wanted about $200,000 just for that part. I guess a basement the same size 20' by 20' would cost about the same. then you got the cost of the house on top of that plus cost of land. don't have a spare million unfortunately.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links