Ever thought of prepping sodium?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Ever thought of prepping sodium? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Anyone ever thought about keeping some on hand to use as a diversionary tactic or to scare someone off? Or maybe just some fun on ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sideKahr

Thread: Ever thought of prepping sodium?

Super Moderator

Anyone ever thought about keeping some on hand to use as a diversionary tactic or to scare someone off? Or maybe just some fun on the 4th of July? I have some I was given by a friend. It makes quite the explosion with the right amount and I'm pretty sure it is legal to have in most states. With a chunk the size of a brick it exerts enough force to crack a swimming pool.

Please excuse the annoying kids in the video. Guess they were just excited to see something go boom.

https://youtu.be/NTFBXJ3Zd_4
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Potassium is better

white phosphorus is easier to get, kinda free actually, and you can do a lot with it
    may not go boom but it helps make other things do so

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Cool idea. Drawbacks are you need sufficient water and the chunk of pure element may travel around erratically prior to exploding if the expanse of water is large enough. It is very entertaining and destructive.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Don't get any near a sink. I blew out a drain trap in chem lab once.
    paraquack likes this.

The alkali earth metals are best stored under dry hydrocarbon solvents like mineral oil in air tight glass containers.

Potassium will ignite when exposed to humid air, sodium less so, and lithium is not too bad at all.

When these pure metals come into contact with water they decompose to hydrogen gas and the related metal hydroxide, with considerable generation of heat, which in turn ignites the hydrogen gas if air/oxygen is present.

Do you really want to store something as a prep that makes a great party trick, but is hyper-reactive, stored in flammable liquids, and generated lots of heat and an even more flammable gas when it gets wet? Not me, thanks. I love it in chem labs, but I don't want it in my buildings if it's likely to make a fire Worse if it's involved.

Sponsored Links