Bugging Out: Views from the other side of the fence
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Bugging Out: Views from the other side of the fence within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am a small local business owner, a farmer, a homesteader, and a prepper. My family earns itís living running the family business in town. ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Bugging Out: Views from the other side of the fence

I am a small local business owner, a farmer, a homesteader, and a prepper. My family earns itís living running the family business in town. We farm and rent 240 acres plus keep a small herd of cattle. We have multiple sources of power and heat. I can feed, water and house at least 20 family members indefinitely, all off the grid if needs be. There is only one threat to all of this that I worry about and that is you.

You are a prepper with a bug out plan. You have a truck with a supply of food, some water, (I guarantee you that itís not enough) some form of shelter, and the idea that you are bullet proof. You have 1000 rounds of some fmj bullets that you canít possibly hunt with. (Have you ever considered that for every 2 bullets you shoot, one of them is going to come back at you? How many bullets can you dodge?) Mamy of you havenít thought about what you are going to do once you get 10 miles from home. Where the hell do you think you are going? I got news for you; I own those woods. And I donít like the idea of armed people setting up a ďsquatterís campĒ on my property.

Letís say that you set up on a piece of property near to my farm, but not on my property. You sit there for 2 weeks and then you start to run out of supplies. (I guarantee you that it will be fresh water first) See that farm over there? The one that seems quiet and abandoned. They might have what you need. But that farm belongs to my neighbor. They are the retired parents of a friend of mine. They have lived there all my life. I went to school with their kids. They are most likely still there. And they are scared to death of you. It doesnít matter how you approach the farm; they will be scared. How are you going to get what you need from them?

Another 2 weeks goes by. (I have just given you credit for 30 days worth of supplies. More that the majority of you are going to have.) You are running out of most of your supplies. Now what are you going to do? If you say, ďgo homeĒ you are a fool. If you thought your home would still be there after 30 days, you should have just stayed there. If things were so bad that you had to bug out, your home is gone. You need a new one. And that is the problem with bugging out. That house, that farm, that cabin you found; they all belong so someone else. And some day they are going to want it back.

Now let me suggest to you how you should have done it:

See that farm over there? The one that seems quiet and abandoned. That farm belongs to my neighbor. They are the retired parents of a friend of mine. They have lived there all my life. I went to school with their kids. But they are getting old and their kids have moved away. They canít manage the homestead anymore and have decided to move into the local farm community so that they can be close to their friends and church. They would never sell the farm fields because they can rent them out and live off the income.

But they donít need the homestead, so they are going to put it up for sale. And this is where you come in. For a lot less than you would pay for a cabin on a lake, or a piece of hunting land, you can own your own farm. Depending on how much work a homestead needs, you can buy one cheap. You now have a place to ďbug outí to. You have a well, power if you want it, and if there were any standing buildings at all, you have shelter. Instead of hauling supplies, you have a place to keep them.

I know that the old homestead has sold and I am curious to know who bought it. It wonít take me long to ask around and get a few facts about you. During your first visit as a homestead owner, bring over your entire family and introduce yourself. I am going to ask you where you are from (I already know) what your name is (I already know) and what you do for a living (I probably already know that as well. It is a small town afterall). The one question I donít know the answer to is why you bought the place. Tell me itís your retreat from the city, like a cabin but cheaper. Iíll understand what you mean.

Every time you visit your new homestead, be sure to wave at me if you see me drive by, or pull into the yard and say hello if I am out working. It wonít take long and we may invite you over for a meal. Send me a Christmas card with a $20 gift certificate to a chain restaurant. If you see me working, stop and ask if I need any help. Chances are that I will say no, but be ready just in case. Be sure to ask me for advice once in a while. Give me your phone number and email and ask me to keep an eye on your place when you are gone. Lastly, always buy something in town when you visit. Visit the local hardware store, the grocery store, or the antique shop. Get people used to seeing your face and your vehicle.

In return, I will watch your place like a hawk. I am always driving by or working outside. If I see a light on, I have no problem driving over there to see what is going on. I will also say good things about you when I am talking with my neighbors. When things get tough, you wonít be a stranger. The town wonít turn you away. Help work on the farm and I will help keep you fed. Share your skills and you will always have something to trade. Most importantly, you and your family will have community and security: The 2 things that you canít bug out with.
    Chipper, Medic33, Hemi45 and 3 others like this.

While I'm sure there are "preppers" out there that fit your description, I haven't seen
    any on this forum. Do me a favor before you off shooting your mouth off because as
    you said your going to get some flak back. Why don't you hang out for a while and
    get to know us before you go off spouting a tirade that is kind of a holy than thou
    attitude. Get to know us first before you go making a blanket statement this is full
    of $hit.
    Now I know what the ignore button is for.
    Sasquatch and Maine-Marine like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Perhaps my tone was a little strong. Please educate me. Why would a person leave their perfectly good home (bug out) if they thought they would be able to come back to it intact? If the threat is only temporary, wouldn't they be better off just riding it out at home? Flood, earthquake natural disaster? And if it's temporary, why not stay at a friend's or family's home or at the super 8? I would think that cash is easier to carry. Civil unrest? I would think that your home would have a better chance of surviving if you are in it. And if your bug out is permanent, how long will you be able to last with the supplies that you can carry on your back, your bike or in your truck? And where does one plan on setting up their new permanent residence? The local state forest? My suggestion was, and still is, that if you plan on bugging out, knowing the people in the area that you are relocating to is at least as important as knowing where you are going. And owning your retreat goes a long way towards doing that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member R.I.P.

Realistically everyone should have a bug out plan as some things are out of your control. Tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, wildfires, chemical spills, etc.

Those I know with reasonable bug out plans will head to someone's place that they know be it a friend or relative. But that goes both ways.

So I agree with your OP being insulting from someone that doesn't even know any of us.

I have an anchored conex as a storm shelter that has plenty of solar. A rain catch & storage system Water filter system. Months of stored food that a lot of which I canned myself. My property is also on high ground. Plus have two portable generators. Well & septic system. But know there are things beyond my control that can force me out.
    Last edited by HuntingHawk; 04-08-2015 at 12:30 AM.

Super Moderator

I'm not sure where you live but if SHTF is bad enough you could have the entire population of a city headed your way. I don't care how many rounds of ammo you have or how many people you have in your group but you can't take on a 10K plus people at once by yourself. Your scenario of sticking it out on your farm sounds great and I hope for your sake it goes exactly as you wrote it but chances are it won't go anything like that and if your are not able to adapt to whatever the situation becomes chances are the outcome will not be good.

Afraid I have to agree with the others. You might want to take the time to get to know the people already on the forum. Most of us are friendly, knowledgeable people with bug in/out plans of our own. Welcome to the forum.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

When I read the title I could swear I was going to read a bug in don't run article. Then when reading about the old couple I really thought I read this before.

Sorry but not everyone can buy a cabin in the woods OR a farm. Don't get me wrong I have bought a lot of raw land, worked it with tractors and shovels to make it farmland and yes....I lease to my neighbors that row crop ground. But my circumstances are due to a loving father that bought the original parcels for his 3 sons in 1974. One son died, one went nuts and now I got all three and my own fourth. With out that early prep farming wasn't possible for me. It's not for all. My God it use to cost me $100 round trip in fuel just to get to my ranch. Some are lucky to spend a $100 a month on preps...
    Slippy and Big Country1 like this.
    This place has become more disturbing then SHTF.

Sounds like you may have had run ins with hardcore bugouts.

There are Bug Out boards and Prepper boards - this is more of a prepper board. I've been on boards where nutjobs talk about looting their neighbors and similar spooge but that writ doesn't rule here.

You assume facts not in evidence. ( I always wanted to say that. ) Shouldn't you have taken the time to know us here and what this forum is about before you go off on us and post tirade? As you didn't take the time to learn about us, I won't take the time to explain our intentions or our general thoughts on prepping to you.
    Slippy, Big Country1 and Kauboy like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Many of us are rural and living at our homestead or farm or retreat. Some here are multi generational farmers like you. Others are giving country life a go for the first time. Some have been living "in between" self sufficiency and suburban life. Some are as you describe and some people are urban apartment dwellers. And many on this forum are freakin' hardcore Warriors that most likely will take what they want or need and you will have no say in their decisions. And of course, there are many that fit other "categories" so don't assume anything about any of us.

Just an FYI

Here's a thought--GFY
    Slippy, Prepared One and Kauboy like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links