Bugging Out: Views from the other side of the fence - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bugging Out: Views from the other side of the fence

This is a discussion on Bugging Out: Views from the other side of the fence within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Erik Perhaps my tone was a little strong. Please educate me. Why would a person leave their perfectly good home (bug out) ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Bugging Out: Views from the other side of the fence

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Perhaps my tone was a little strong. Please educate me. Why would a person leave their perfectly good home (bug out) if they thought they would be able to come back to it intact? If the threat is only temporary, wouldn't they be better off just riding it out at home? Flood, earthquake natural disaster? And if it's temporary, why not stay at a friend's or family's home or at the super 8? I would think that cash is easier to carry. Civil unrest? I would think that your home would have a better chance of surviving if you are in it. And if your bug out is permanent, how long will you be able to last with the supplies that you can carry on your back, your bike or in your truck? And where does one plan on setting up their new permanent residence? The local state forest? My suggestion was, and still is, that if you plan on bugging out, knowing the people in the area that you are relocating to is at least as important as knowing where you are going. And owning your retreat goes a long way towards doing that.
    Some of us already live in little towns where we can bug-in for as long as we need to. Some of us own our own bugout locations. Some of us are into permaculture, gardening. Some of us have more rounds of hunting ammo than you have even seen in your life and/or the reloading supplies, equipment and expertise to make it so. Some of us have been living the lifestyle for many years. Some of us (not me, but some of us) are ex-military who've lived through hell and actually know what they are talking about when it comes to defending a property, or dealing with people who need dealt with to protect their families. Some of us are far down the road to self sufficiency. Some of us have 5 or more ways to purify water, and won't have a single issue with "running out of clean water".

You do present an interesting scenario and raise valid points, but please don't put me and my wife into your "royal you" category. We don't want your farm, we won't be visiting your farm, and frankly we don't care even the slightest bit about your farm because it has nothing to do with us.

If you actually run a farm, you are going to be up #$&% creek if an EMP attack hits, because you are not going to be able to get fuel, feed, and your crop to market. You are going to need farm hands, and lots of them, and you are going to need somebody to sell what you grow to. What are you going to plant next year? You have cattle? Fine. What are you going to do with the steers? Bottom line, you've got your own worries.

You also need to worry about raiders. We do not condone raiders or raider talk here, but we recognize that the problem will exist. But I'm not going to be one of those raiders, so again you can remove me from your "royal we".

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Here's a thought--GFY
    +1:smile:

Pretty narrow thinking.
    I am rural, not planning on invading your space.
    I am bugging in.
    You do have a valid point, but do not come in here and think all here are inept inner city thugs foaming at the mouth.
    Sounds like you need more guns and ammo and better fields of fire.
    Your summation of the members here just plain sucks.

Ok the other side of the fence because I actually plan to bug out. First lets be clear this isnt a back pack and firearm bug out truck and trailer for me. I have spent months living outdoors or in austere conditions and have planned for it 6-9 month bug out. I have 12 months food and about 2 weeks of water packed and ready tools to improve my conditions where ever I am, as well as supplies, and heirloom seeds to sustain me. Ideally I could be Bugged out indefinitely acquiring water is a task but I have a BOL in the middle of Nowhere( Yes it is owned by someone but that someone is a logging company that has thousands of acres) and I know where to find it and how to purify it. After the initial craziness subsides I will return to my very new farm I started and resume operations. I do this for security because you always have to put yourself in your enemies shoes and my head, it scares me. I guarantee that any organization will soon make a concentrated effort to secure food and water. It is very hard to hide something that is already established. I rely on very few electronics because of EMP worries but what electronics I do have are protected and contain a libary of info and one of those is Maps.

To me its all about security If I didnt believe it I wouldnt preach it but IN MY OPINION it only takes about 72 hrs to assess a place of interest and develop a plan to defeat it. Thats why you wont find me for the first 6-9 months until everything dies down and clear lines begin to reestablish. Also since your bugging in have you thought about where the closest military installation is that is an organization that could survive WROL and will be looking for serious assets like a 240 acre farm. I could vouch for my work place when SHTF that armory isnt going to be full anymore.
    Last edited by ApexPredator; 04-08-2015 at 09:39 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have read, and re-read this post. I guess that I am not taking it as an op-ed piece directed at anyone here but more an educational conversation of some good things to think about. I also feel that way about some of the responses. For those that say not everyone has the money to buy a place to go to, I would suggest that you meet some people within a reasonable distance that own the land but have few or no people to help defend it and try to form a cohesive group with mutual aid. Mr Raven and I have tried to seek out and filter through some other preppers that we have met to no avail. One person that we thought looked very good after much time getting to know them, had a kid that suddenly declared that he wanted to find our XXX because his Dad told him that it was hidden somewhere. This person showed no signs of being a gossip, a loud mouth or a narc for lack of a better word. He was very discrete with us but apparently not so much with his family. Lesson learned. We have land with natural water. We have farm animals, a business that offers necessities and can easily go from cash to barter if need be. We have many preps in place and skills to offer, but we are getting older and would need help running and defending our place if TSHTF. As for the idea that you can't hold of a city full of people alone, that is true but you can make it hard on people. I guess when it all comes down to it, we all have to die sometime. I'd like it to be later but I sure don't want to die of apathy, misplaced trust or without trying to defend what belongs to me or members of my group. I appreciate what you wrote Eric and take it to heart. We pray for neighbors just like you!

sounds like OP hit a note with some of yah will all the don't judge me before you know me attitude- well you may be right, I don't think he was pointing a finger at anyone. the most common response I have heard over the years is, I don't have the financial resources to acquire a piece of property - how much did you spend on all those fancy firearms , cell phones, cell phone bills TV bill etc.? I just saw a old house on 3 or so acres out in the middle of some wheat fields for like 13 grand. well I bought mine when I was 15 working under the table on a horseradish farm all summer long 12hours a day just to get the down payment I made $2.25 an hour with no overtime but the farmer did give me a end of the season bonus like 500 bucks or something which at the time I was shocked, and did give me lunch every other day -now I understand "the you lived with mom and pop and had no expenses" and your right!! but I was also making less than an adult would and doing an adults work. I had walk 6 or so miles each way unless pop gave me a ride on his way to work and yes when I told him what I was working for he though I was in his own words "crazier than owl crap". Was I buying the land for a bug out location? nope, I just wanted a piece of ground to call my own. I am not trying or saying the average Joe pepper like me and you is out to raid and pillage, squat and shop, but over the years I have heard a lot of people just nonchalantly saying I'll just walk around taking what I need from who ever and blasting anyone who try's to take my stuff. most were on forums like this one, especially from the 2012 crowd. I am sorry if I offended anyone, I hope you accept my apologies. I don't know the OP but I think he or she has the right to speak their thoughts after all.
    Salt-N-Pepper and Raven like this.
    oops

hold on a minute, let me put my rubber butt on cause I think I'm about to get an azz chewing.
    oops

I purchased about 30 acres, have built an 18 foot deep 1/3 acre fishing pond on it and put up a cabin for less money than three of the 12 vehicles in my work's parking lot costs.

The OP is right, there are TONS of rural homesteads for sale in the Midwest that could be bought for a song. Having said that, for most people this is very "out of the box" thinking. New trucks are far more important to most people than having a place to bug out to that you own. We make our choices. I drive a 1998 truck with 279K miles on it and own a BOL/homestead. I think it's a pretty good plan, for ME. You do what you think is best for you.
    Raven likes this.

Well his point should be made to all the people who are NOT preppers. Preppers are the last people he needs to worry about.

Nobody is planning to wind up homeless in the woods. Homeless in the woods will be the result of not planning and not preparing.
    Big Country1 likes this.

One of the pillars of my prep plan is establishing trade with those like the OP.
    Reestablishing safe transportation.
    Communications and mail.
    Local law enforcement.
    Anything that will convince urbanites to stand their ground and not flood the countryside in desperate starving hordes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    Well his point should be made to all the people who are NOT preppers. Preppers are the last people he needs to worry about.

Nobody is planning to wind up homeless in the woods. Homeless in the woods will be the result of not planning and not preparing.
    I know of a group planning to form a "convoy" that travels around looking for small communities they can take over.

They appear to be a bunch of idiots who won't survive long so I don't give them much beyond passing notice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links