Binoculars
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Binoculars

This is a discussion on Binoculars within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Ive been considering a pair of binoculars for wpquite some time but I find the options are a bit daunting. These are mostly for crawling ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Binoculars

Binoculars

Ive been considering a pair of binoculars for wpquite some time but I find the options are a bit daunting.
    These are mostly for crawling around in the woods and such not so much for when the shtf. The problem is I want something durable and reliable that can handle a lot of abuse and still last for years. Doesnt need huge range but clarity and field of view is important. With all the types of binoculars and how they are built I have no idea what to look for. I figure when it comes to knowing a good piece of equipment this is the crew to ask.
    So from a durability and quality pov what should I be looking for ?
    I plan to invest a few dollars into this but also dont want to break the bank.
    Thanks.

Senior Member R.I.P.

I have a pair of these I leave in my vehicle.
    Bushnell PowerView 8 x 21mm Binoculars - Walmart.com
    paraquack likes this.

Check your local flea markets and pawn shops. I have found a few good brands there for cheap. Craig's list is another option.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It depends on the price you are willing to spend. I bought these a while back and they work great for me: Amazon.com : Nikon 8256 ACULON A211 8 x 42 Binocular (Realtree Extra Green Camo) : Camera & Photo

I keep them in my BOB, but they go hunting, and camping with me as well.
    NOT ALL CONSPIRACIES ARE THEORIES! Hidden Content

If you see a Liberal today, remind them just how much of a moron they are!!

Liberals = Weapons of Mass Destruction

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    I have a pair of these I leave in my vehicle.
    Bushnell PowerView 8 x 21mm Binoculars - Walmart.com
    I have 3 pair of these One in each BOB and one in my truck Plus a really nice pair ( I forget the brand name off hand but I paid about 300 bucks for them several years ago ) I leave at the house. I use the ones in the truck all the time.
    paraquack likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I have a pair of Bushnell Banner 10x40s that have been absolutely wonderful for the past 15 years now. I have them on a harness and won't go into the woods without them. You can drop alot of cash on a pair of Zeiss, Bausch and Lomb, Leupold, Swarovski or Nighthawk but I honestly don't see why you would. At 400 yards with my Bushnells I could see a 1" sticker on the right base of my Thanksgiving day buck. I think I caught these on sale at Wal Mart for $89.00. They are far superior to the milspec pair I was issued to do surveillance work with. Look at lens coatings and light gathering ability too. You really don't have to spend a ton of cash though.
    rice paddy daddy and dwight55 like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

I prefer 10X50 myself, you really should be able to get a good pair without breaking the bank. I have an old pair of Jasons that I bought over 20 years ago still as good as the day I bought them, I think I paid about $30 for them? No sense throwing a ton of money at a bragging pair of binoculars IMO.

The Good Cop

I have a pair of 8X, and a pair of 10X. I know the 10's are Tasco, the other not sure unless I look, and they are 40 miles away at the moment.
    Like CSI noted, coated lenses help gather light, as do the size of the objective lenses.
    dwight55 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

RPD and CSI gave you some really good info.

Another tip, . . . hit the yard sales. I spent some really good bucks on a pair of binoculars, . . . some 30 odd years ago, . . . they are still good.

The other 3 pairs I have did not together cost as much as the first pair, . . . all came from yard sales, . . . all are very good, . . . at least equal to the ones we had in the Navy and the national guard, . . . minus of course the mil-dots and range finders.

Good stuff comes out of yard sales in my opinion.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Clarity. Quality of the lens can not be cheap. It will show. Cheap optics are just that. Cheap optics. Zeiss, swarovski.
    Last edited by Camel923; 04-07-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links