Groups Or Solo - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Groups Or Solo

This is a discussion on Groups Or Solo within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by JeremyScott I am new to the whole prepping community. I have several friends whom Ive found out that are of like mind. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Groups Or Solo

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyScott View Post
    I am new to the whole prepping community. I have several friends whom Ive found out that are of like mind. Would you think that bugging out in groups and trying to survive in a group deal is best or should it be every man for himself. I know it depends on a lot of stuff, like food amounts, what each person's skills are, and where your located.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives...................
    "There, comrades, is the answer to all our problems. It is summed up in a single word--Man"

We prep as loners as it stands but would love to move to a place where we could know and be with other preppers. It's very hard in New England.

A group could be fine unless supplies run low or there’s some other serious stressor. Solo, most anyone with good practiced survival skills could, in all likelihood, acquire a minimum amount of water, food and shelter from their surroundings in order to sustain. A group on the other hand would likely be much more readily impacted by dire circumstances, lose focus and deteriorate into chaos.

I would share and interact with neighbors to a limited extent in a Bug-In situation where a degree of isolation could hopefully be maintained, but would never Bug-Out with an undisciplined group. The group becomes a chain that is only as strong as its weakest member. One person goes bug-nuts, and the entire group's survival potential goes out the window.

A group may have defensive advantages, but the challenges of rationing, hygiene, disease control, individual endurance levels, an ability to handle stress and fatigue, and decision making might make a group not worth the perceived advantage. For example, in a standoff or LRO (limited regress options) scenario, an individual might be able to slip away under darkness. For a group, that would be a much more difficult task unless such had been well practiced and coordinated.
    Last edited by pakrat; 04-01-2015 at 05:59 PM.
    Arklatex and Prepared One like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperLite View Post
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives...................
    I wish he would hurry up with the next book.

That quote has a lot of truth to it IMO. You just can't do it all solo unless you have a huge family or you are very isolated. Too much work. Security is a full time job, so is homesteading and possibly sanitation/hygene/medical. You need people with different skillsets and just to socialize with. Just my opinion. Groups and community are necessary.

Do due diligence on whatever group you are thinking about.
    It will be HUGE decision

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperLite View Post
    Very true, but a wolf pack is a group of highly specialized, tightly knit, keenly adapted hunters and killers... everyone. If one isn't, and they die... the rest move on... no emotional devistation, blaming, regrets, etc. People aren't wolves.... well, most aren't.

First, I am not bugging out unless I am forced to and even then my BOLs are relatives. My "group" is nearby family members.
    Last edited by Diver; 04-02-2015 at 03:46 AM.

If you go group you had better be sure of what you are getting into. Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies if you get my drift. Some one you can trust to that degree is hard to come by.
    Big Country1 and Prepared One like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Ok..forwarded this thread off to my old Viet Nam Veteran Pal. He say whatever yall are smoking..he will take two bags sight unseen. Let me know how much and I will forward it down the chain of command. Or perhaps that is up the chain? Surely outside the span of control. They say the dogs at the post orfice are trained to also smell for coffee so kindly dont try that when it come mailing time. BBQ Rub supposedly gets them real confused. No wonder they are called dumb animals huh?
    Last edited by bigwheel; 04-01-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

As I stated it will be just my wife and I.
    Here is my case in point. We were good friends with a neighbor couple and they were our prepper partners , we always were talking prepping went to the range together compared notes on supply's that kind of stuff.
    A small misunderstanding on their part has turned into they no longer speaking to us , no waves when passing, she turns her head when she see's one of us out for the mail or working in the yard.
    My wife has tried to talk with her but is ignored. So this is why we believe alone is best if this happened after the SHTF who knows what would happen.
    bigwheel and Slippy like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links