Dealing with other survivors.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Dealing with other survivors. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; One of the most obvious things I have noticed on "doomsday preppers" (other than people putting earthquake food supplies in glass jars on high shelves ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Dealing with other survivors.

One of the most obvious things I have noticed on "doomsday preppers" (other than people putting earthquake food supplies in glass jars on high shelves with no doors) is that people aren't aggressive enough in their "tests". When it comes to the crunch, most people are afraid or at least reluctant to pull the trigger.

Obviously, most of us don't WANT to go around killing people, and your reaction to meeting other survivors will depend on the situation. We have a few all purpose rules - nobody will be allowed to endanger the security of our people or our home. Nobody who discovers our home base will be allowed to tell others. In any total anarchy situation, lone males or all-male groups will be considered a danger. Mixed gender groups will depend - if women and children are terrified of other members of the group, that would obviously raise concerns. Families with children will most likely be taken in as long as they are willing to contribute, as we believe most fathers would recognize the importance of safety in numbers and work for the good of the community for the good of his family, whereas lone males or all male groups are more likely to be aggressive. It seems my family are in the minority among preppers however, in that we don't plan solely for any one situation (of course I could be wrong here, as I have little experience with other preppers). We believe shit is due to hit the fan, but we don't know exactly how it will happen, so our plans for each situation differ slightly, and dealing with other people varies more than most parts of the plan - a dangerous disease or infection will obviously mean different treatment of fellow survivors to a war with foreign invaders, a simple technological meltdown or anything that causes total anarchy. Each should be treated differently.

So my point is, what are you prepping for and how would you treat other survivors based on how that would affect the world? Who would you kill? Are you willing to kill? Who, if anyone, would you take in? Who would you ignore? How would you treat a family looking for shelter or supplies? How would you treat a group of young men looking for shelter or supplies? Etc.

I would prefer to feint epidemic and keep drifters away period. Gender or age doesn't automatically confer trustworthiness.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I view prepping as a responsibility. I have a responsibility too my wife, and son to keep them safe at all cost. If you don't see keeping your family safe your responsibility, we'll that's not my fault. I'm not going to take a chance on someone deciding they want to get rid of us for what we have. If it's a serious all out SHTF event, all trespassers are considered hostile.
    NOT ALL CONSPIRACIES ARE THEORIES! Hidden Content

If you see a Liberal today, remind them just how much of a moron they are!!

Liberals = Weapons of Mass Destruction

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

While I am prepared to do what must be done, I too would prefer to hide or
    scare the crap out of a looter enough to make them go next door.
    Attachment 10539Attachment 10540

in addition I would post signs like this on main through ways to keep people out of my neighborhood.
    Attachment 10541
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I understand that age or gender doesnt = trustworthiness, of course.

To clarify my personal plans, first let me point out that my family will be on an isolated farm, deep in the aussie bush and invisible from the road. The approaching curves around, with lookout points/ sniper nests on hills covering both entries to the road. Cars are unlikely to come down this road, so most encounters we would have are most likely going to be outside, when we are scavenging (if that is necessary).

If it is a contagious disease, anyone and everyone will be shot on sight.

In the case of a hostile invasion, religious war etc, enemy forces will be shot on sight and friendly forces will be allowed to pass but we will most likely not reveal ourselves.

In the case of a collapse of civilization/anarchy, that's when lone men or groups of men will be shot on sight. Families with parents as the only adults and no teenagers will be CONSIDERED. Essentially, the weak will be CONSIDERED as workers, and if someone decides they want our help they won't be leaving.

If society collapses but doesn't reach a state of anarchy (not like there is a lot keeping everything in order out there anyway, but we don't go shooting each other very often as it is), we will be far more lenient.

There are 7 in my family, plus another 2 family friends who can be trusted and live a convenient distance from the farm, and my partner and her family, who aren't preppers but are all trained medical staff. But with the chickens, horses, hundreds of wild kangaroos and goats, greenhouses and gardens, as well as stockpiled food and water from the well, there is space and resources for us to take in a few more, as more workers means more of us can assist on scavenging runs, and we can make sure there's always somebody in each lookout. We have several other friends we would consider letting in if anything happened, but they don't know of our plans and if they don't just happen to be with us at the time then too bad for them.

It comes down to how the world goes to shit, and how badly.
    longrider likes this.

Here's how we'll deal with "survivors" at Slippy Lodge...

Attachment 10542

I'll tell you one for sure .... our experiences dealing with the sheeple refugees, here in the US, will be a close 180 degrees compared to yours in Ozland ... we are going to have some of the most shocked and desperate sections of the populous you'll ever want to see - and they have an entire heritage of violence to go with it .... if you get any reports out of the US you'll hear of the outrageous violence, cruelty and mayhem .... it'll be one for the world's history books ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

I think your rules are generally sound. There's definitely strength in numbers, but, my clan won't be taking in lone wolves or all male groups post SHTF (we will actively avoid all male groups). We would consider taking in family groups with women and children, and we may make exceptions for couples or lone females, too.

Statistically speaking, males are several times more likely to commit violent crime/homicide than females are (young males are more violent than middle aged males). Single men are more likely to commit violent crime/homicide than married men are. Married men with children are the least likely of all males to commit violent crime/homicide.

It only makes sense to discriminate based on probability. A group comprised of married men, their wives/partners, and their children is likely to remain peaceful and productive.
    Last edited by Charles Martel; 04-01-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Tough call - too may variables as far as I'm concerned. I'm not very trusting as it is, so after an event I reckon I'd become hyper suspicious. Regarding events, I disagree and think most people prep in such a way that allows for upping their odds of survival in a myriad situations.

I'll tell you one for sure .... our experiences dealing with the sheeple refugees, here in the US, will be a close 180 degrees compared to yours in Ozland ... we are going to have some of the most shocked and desperate sections of the populous you'll ever want to see - and they have an entire heritage of violence to go with it .... if you get any reports out of the US you'll hear of the outrageous violence, cruelty and mayhem .... it'll be one for the world's history books ....
    Medic33 likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links