Dealing with other survivors. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Dealing with other survivors.

This is a discussion on Dealing with other survivors. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Charles Martel I think your rules are generally sound. There's definitely strength in numbers, but, my clan won't be taking in lone ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Dealing with other survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    I think your rules are generally sound. There's definitely strength in numbers, but, my clan won't be taking in lone wolves or all male groups post SHTF (we will actively avoid all male groups). We would consider taking in family groups with women and children, and we may make exceptions for couples or lone females, too.

Statistically speaking, males are several times more likely to commit violent crime/homicide than females are (young males are more violent than middle aged males). Single men are more likely to commit violent crime/homicide than married men are. Married men with children are the least likely of all males to commit violent crime/homicide.

It only makes sense to discriminate based on probability. A group comprised of married men, their wives/partners, and their children is likely to remain peaceful and productive.
    Careful there a man with a family is a man motivated beyond his own self interest. The thing that drives married men to be calm and stable will also drive them to extremes a single man is not capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by ApexPredator View Post
    Careful there a man with a family is a man motivated beyond his own self interest. The thing that drives married men to be calm and stable will also drive them to extremes a single man is not capable of.
    A lot of special forces look for married men and men who are "tethered". Most Navy SEALS are married and have families, not young unattached men. A man who has a family and is motivated beyond self-interest, believe it or not, is a benefit to basically everyone. To his own cause-- he has reason to use caution and behave intelligently in concert with others, rather than because he's into dick waving.

Single men are capable of everything and anything a married man is. An especially strong fight to survive is going to be dependent on the person, because anyone who has faced a "fight or die" situation can attest, the only thing that matters in those situations is one's own neck.

That's not to say all married men should be trusted and single men not trusted... just that it's not an easy thing to discern. I'm going to play dumb, hungry, and helpless as long as I possibly can and just hope my husband doesn't ruin my Pollyanna routine

First we are going no where. We chose to be where we are for a reason. It is the right area to be. We will going looking for no one should it ever get that bad. We will help those we can and do our best to preserve our humanity. That does not mean we will be victims.
    Sad fact is most today think they are entitled to what you have and will take everything you have. That will be even worst if SHTF.
    We are more like to have hard times due to natural disasters they may even fuel social unrest than anything else. They likely will be shorter term and be brought under control unless the social unrest is allowed to go to far . Major natural disaster FEMA and other Government agencies will fail . It will be everyday people that dig us out.
    The more of us that are prepared to care for our self and our own the faster any recovery will be.
    But make no mistake. Many of us will do what must be done to defend what is ours. If you come to do harm game on and you will lose.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 04-02-2015 at 10:24 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I think I'm more likely to stay a part of my community than not; and community members should help each other. As for when I'd be willing to do violence, I'd foresee it as being under the same conditions I'd be willing to do violence now: Thinking me or someone else I should be protecting is in clear, present, and serious danger.
    Arklatex and longrider like this.

I have mixed feelings about this topic. The christian part of me wants to help as much as humanly possible. The security part of me wants to be selfish and just focus on me and mine. I guess its going to have to be a balance between being charitable but knowing when the line needs to be drawn. I do believe that sometimes we worry far too much about security and not enough on reestablishing community. Just remember that there are reasons we came together to live in communities and villages rather than playing lone wolf thousands of years ago.
    longrider likes this.

Not everyone, but, some, will have already stayed back to observe to see what you have to offer, or what they can plunder.jmo

I think Charles and Volture are closer to what I would do and anticipate depending on the scenario. Certain groups of people will be more dangerous then others. The dangerous ones at first will be clear and obvious of their intent I believe. However, as time goes by and after the first wave of die off this may change. Those that are left will be the strongest and most cunning, good or bad. It will be more difficult to discern friend or foe. I am torn in this area. I am not a very trusting man to begin with, but I do see a need going forward for a support group of some kind. Defense, food gathering, water, shelter, long term survival, all would be easier and safer within a group as apposed to going it alone. It's just the wife and I and in the short term we are set. Long term I will need help. I live in a major city and I won't hold out 60 guys for long that's for sure. If I can get to my bug out location my chances are better but that's 800 miles through, what will be by then, open and dangerous territory. In the end I will do the best I can with what I have under the circumstances. One thing is certain. Being prepared puts me way ahead of the game to make the hard choices and survive better or longer then the millions that have no clue and will be among the first wave die off.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 04-22-2015 at 03:23 AM.
    longrider likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I guess I'm in the same group as toolmanky. I have always put up provisions
    with the aim of helping people who might need help. But at the same time, I recognize
    the associated problems that go along with such a desire to help. The road to hell is
    supposedly paved with good intentions. In recognizing this, I must balance my desire
    to help with the need to preserve my family's life and our survival especially since my
    main plan is to stay in place. Sitting here typing away, I can second guess how I will
    handle things when some woman and her three kids come to my door looking for food.
    Is she really be herself? Is she and the kids a ruse to scope things out for a larger
    group of looters? While I want to do the right thing by my fellow survivor, if it is on the
    up and up, would this woman and her three kids simply become dependent on me for
    hand outs, until my supplies that I can spare are depleted? If I give her a hand out, will
    she tell others, creating a long line of people outside my door also looking for handouts?
    In the society our government has created out there, I can't help but feel my desire to do
    the Christian thing and help others may be my greatest enemy.

I sometimes wonder if I should greet a person looking for a hand out by asking, "Do you
    have any food you give me?"
    Last edited by paraquack; 04-03-2015 at 08:30 AM.
    Arklatex and longrider like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ApexPredator View Post
    It's true. There is no creature more fierce than a man defending his family.

I'm not sure where the idea that there will be no law enforcement comes from. That may be true for municipal police but not for sheriffs.

The ones who aren't politicians with a badge will still be on the job, even if they have to patrol by horse. If the sheriff finds out that someone is shooting people for trespass those people will probably find themselves on a gallows in the courthouse square.

Managing refugees is one of the sheriff's tasks - and one thing they will crack down on immediately is residents shooting each other or refugees.

They certainly won't be enforcing traffic laws.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links