Wanting to build underground bunker. Need advice - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wanting to build underground bunker. Need advice

This is a discussion on Wanting to build underground bunker. Need advice within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Betterbeready35 1. Lots of clay and red dirt. Flat land. Very dry. 2. No time frame 3. Budget is under a million ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Wanting to build underground bunker. Need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Betterbeready35 View Post
    1. Lots of clay and red dirt. Flat land. Very dry.
    2. No time frame
    3. Budget is under a million
    4.a lot work my self I own a construction/ contracting firm
    5. Yes I do that's why I want to do the outside walls with concrete blocks reinforced by rebar. And I beams running along the ceilings
    Million dollar Budget? And your using shipping containers?

I'd buy a mountain and turn it into my Bat Cave!
    Last edited by Murphy; 04-02-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Ok if I do concrete how should I line the inside? I'm wanting it to be livable and not it looking like a prison. Should I put a layer of plaster over it? Or just paint it?

Drywall , then go with a flower motif wallpaper :grin:

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Insulation, vapor barrier and drywall. Then seal it and paint it. There should also be insulation on the outside of the sealed concrete as well.

You really need to consult an architectural engineer. It seems obvious that you have no background in construction at all. The engineer will plan the construction out for you putting things like water and drain pipes and conduit for electric lines and venting for heat and cooling air. There is a lot more to the process of building a bunker than putting concrete in the ground and it all has to be planned and in place before you even think about pouring concrete.

jdbushcraft and Will2 like this.
    Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Defend myself a little bit here. I do have a lot of background in construction but not in construction when it comes to building underground. I'm sorry that when it comes to building some completely underground and conpletly made of concrete it's a little bit different. But thank you sir for your advice.

An ex preacher had two real nice partially underground houses built for him and his Mama in law. These were built into low sandy hills. Enclosed on all sides except for the front and a hump on top. The entire shell was concrete..The inside was framed and finished. Lookd real bright and airy on the inside. His electric bill in the summer was running 20 bucks. Tornadoes was supposedly not an issue. Made me want one..lol

You have to do a significant amount of reinforcement to make shipping containers safe for underground burial. I would definitely get a geotechnical engineer to calculate your lateral earth pressures. I'd be happy to do this for you...all I'd need is the approximate unit weight of your soil, the height of your container, the friction angle of your backfill material, and the approximate location of your bunker (so that I could accurately calculate/estimate your pressures during a seismic event)...I could assume the rest. You'd then be wise to have a structural engineer design your reinforcement. Otherwise you'd just be building a tomb. Shipping containers simply aren't designed for the types of lateral pressures that soil places on buried vertical walls.

It would probably be easier to just use reinforced concrete when all was said and done.
    Last edited by Charles Martel; 04-02-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    bigwheel likes this.

How about a round 8 foot diameter drainage culvert? MUCH better for taking on loads. Equal distribution and all that jazz.

Have you priced culvert?

Another reason to talk to a pro is that you will wanna be sure to use the right type of concrete, they are not all created equal. Some flex more than others, and lotsa little details that a professional would know.

Shipping containers are no good undergound unless you wall 'em in first, but that jacks the price up.
    Poured concrete is the best, but like Paul said, talk to a pro first. Look for one of the companies that builds freeway overpasses, bridges, etc. They can even build your mould (which is actually surprisingly technological.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links