Survival side by side ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Survival side by side ?

This is a discussion on Survival side by side ? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; ATV's are common here. Everybody and their dog has two. Of all the equipment I can think of my ATV is the most useful and ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackcat
  • 2 Post By Slippy
  • 1 Post By Blackcat
  • 1 Post By Slippy
  • 2 Post By Arklatex
  • 1 Post By Arklatex
  • 2 Post By shootbrownelk
  • 1 Post By Sarahwalker

Thread: Survival side by side ?

Survival side by side ?

ATV's are common here. Everybody and their dog has two. Of all the equipment I can think of my ATV is the most useful and versetile piece of equipment hands down. With that said... Since these new multi seat side by sides came onto the scene a few years back they have taken the place by storm. Now the motor companies are saying that due to the side by side popularity they are completely phasing out ATV's. So I was considering this... A new side by side in ansetup that I would want is near the price of a new car. I would want a 4 seater with cargo room, fully enclosed with removable panels, heavy duty winches front and back, brush gaurds, bush lights, heater, snow tracks, rifle racks and chainsaw rack. Just as important is it has to be VERY tough. I dont care about pretty or bells and whistles, I care about durability, reliability, versatility and horse power. Ive researched all the major brands. They all talk about bells and whistles and the same old sales pitch. Has anybody here really looked into them from a survival/semi survival perspective. If so what have your results been ? How about buying used ?
    The other option imo is to track down an old early 80s truck one of those super small import types and convert it. Seems cost effective but perhaps its a little less efficient ?
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    ATV's are common here. Everybody and their dog has two. Of all the equipment I can think of my ATV is the most useful and versetile piece of equipment hands down. With that said... Since these new multi seat side by sides came onto the scene a few years back they have taken the place by storm. Now the motor companies are saying that due to the side by side popularity they are completely phasing out ATV's. So I was considering this... A new side by side in ansetup that I would want is near the price of a new car. I would want a 4 seater with cargo room, fully enclosed with removable panels, heavy duty winches front and back, brush gaurds, bush lights, heater, snow tracks, rifle racks and chainsaw rack. Just as important is it has to be VERY tough. I dont care about pretty or bells and whistles, I care about durability, reliability, versatility and horse power. Ive researched all the major brands. They all talk about bells and whistles and the same old sales pitch. Has anybody here really looked into them from a survival/semi survival perspective. If so what have your results been ? How about buying used ?
    The other option imo is to track down an old early 80s truck one of those super small import types and convert it. Seems cost effective but perhaps its a little less efficient ?
    I agree Blackcat, 4 wheelers are a huge part of getting stuff done on my place. I just cannot justify the coinage that the new Side by Sides are asking. I did see that Polaris makes a Side by Side that has a front PTO to run attachments like mowers, etc. But they are very pricey.

Just one more thing on my ever expanding list of things to buy with the lottery that I never win (maybe because I don't play)..."sigh"

2015 Polaris Brutus HD PTO Avalanche Gray : Overview
    Blackcat and Sarahwalker like this.

I was looking at some of those polaris machines. Quite nice :D
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I was looking at some of those polaris machines. Quite nice :D
    Bobcat makes a nice utility thing called the Toolcat. Quite nice x 10!
    Build and Quote - Select Base Model - Bobcat.com
    Blackcat likes this.

Survival side by side ?-uploadfromtaptalk1427764629157.jpg

Here is my SXS on a fishing trip last year. I got a great deal on it barely used from an estate auction. Diesel, hydraulic dump bed, hydraulic pto with options for attachments like augers, polesaws, quickie saws, jackhammer, spreaders, etc. It pulls a disc or a mower no problem. It's got a full cab with a/c. This thing is loaded! But it is my workhorse, not nearly as fast or fun as some of the other SXS out there.
    Blackcat and Slippy like this.

Is just my eyes or do you give up ground clearance with side by side's? The Polaris and Bobcat both look particularly low.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi45 View Post
    Is just my eyes or do you give up ground clearance with side by side's? The Polaris and Bobcat both look particularly low.
    You can build them up into beasts if you have the money and some redneck friends. Buddy at work has a razor sitting on 35s.
    Blackcat likes this.

Those all look good to me. I dont need a speed machine just a powerful work horse.

I've got a Yamaha Rhino that I added a winch, a glass windshield, a hard top, a back window, taller doors a 3" lift kit and 17" tires. It will go places that a pick-up truck would never get near. I've seen some of the new, stretched wheelbase 4 passenger "Limos" out in the rockpiles I hunt elk in....High-centered on rocks. Wheelbase is too long to get around or turn around on tight trails. I'll stick with my 2 seater SXS. Those new loaded 4 passenger jobs cost as much as a new car these days. If you want all those creature comforts, just buy a Jeep and add a lift. They come with air conditioning.
    Arklatex and Blackcat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I agree Blackcat, 4 wheelers are a huge part of getting stuff done on my place. I just cannot justify the coinage that the new Side by Sides are asking. I did see that Polaris makes a Side by Side that has a front PTO to run attachments like mowers, etc. But they are very pricey.

Just one more thing on my ever expanding list of things to buy with the lottery that I never win (maybe because I don't play)..."sigh"

2015 Polaris Brutus HD PTO Avalanche Gray : Overview
    Attaching a machine gun at the top would be the most kickass polaris I'll ever see. ;D
    Blackcat likes this.
    "If you don't start today, then when will that day ever be?" - Unknown
    "A year from now, you will wish you had started today." - Karen Lamb

Hidden Content

Sponsored Links