Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Where to begin as a new prepper

66K views 183 replies 104 participants last post by  Stevee297 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to start a thread on information that new preppers should start out with. Something to get them on the right tract. If enough seasoned preppers participate, this thread will be an excellent resource for newbie's to go to.

I will start the thread.

Food
Buy lots of food. Food should be one of your highest priorities besides water and defense. Get a mixture of food items that stores long term like rice and beans. The stuff your going to eat with the rice and beans. A variety of canned goods. Keep in mind that expiration dates are just the manufactures way to guarantee that their product will stay fresh and palatable. Use your judgment on how long after the expiration dates that you will keep them. Most items should be good years past their dates.

I keep MRE's in stock also. When they start to age then we use them for camping/hiking. Otherwise it is nice to have a stock of food you don't have to cook and can immediately eat cold if you want. Especially during a bug out.

Set your goals. Like one weeks worth of groceries, then just keep working your way up until you have six months of food or what ever you set as your ultimate goal of food storage.

Check out Step 3: Three Month Food Supply there is a really great excel spreadsheet that you can download that will help out with your food storage plan.

Consider getting a dehydrator. You can dehydrate a lot of foods and they will last a really long time especially if you store your stuff in Mylar bags inside of 5 gallon buckets with oxygen absorbers in them. You can learn how to store this way by watching some You Tube videos.

If you live in a rural area plant fruit trees. Once they mature you will have all the fruit you can eat and it will give you something to barter with.

Water
You will want to store water. How much? Well that's going to depend on your situation. Do you live in an apartment in the city or a homestead in a rural area?

If you drink those individual water bottle bottles then stock up heavy on them just keep in mind that the bottles are designed to break down over time. They will eventually leak. If you can not store a lot of water then prepare your self to be able to procure water from a source like a pond or stream. There are several ways to make water potable, water purification filters, chemical means like bleach and iodine tablets and boiling the water.

Power
Consider getting a generator for power outages. Especially if you live near the coast where a hurricane could mess you up. There are multi fuel generators available. Propane and gas, just gas, just propane and just diesel. If your going to invest in a generator then invest in a generator transfer switch.

The switch hooks up to your circuit breaker box and lets you have power with your generator but prevents back feeding the electrical line. It also does away with all of the extension cords. Reliance and Generac are good brand names.

Depending on the emergency you may not want to use it in a prolonged manner, just use it intermittently to keep your fridge and freezer cold. And you may not want to use lights in the evening. It will be like beacon to desperate people.

Defense
Your going to want a firearm to defend your family and property.

Which firearms should you use? Ask several different people and you will get several different answers. It is recommended that you standardize so ammunition and repair parts will be easier to stock. Stick to NATO type calibers with the addition of a few others. NATO calibers usually consist of 9mm, 45cal, 7.62X52mm/.308cal, 5.56mm/.223, 12gauge, .50cal, .300 win mag.

I would add the 7.62X39 to your possible lists to choose from, why? Because the AK 47 has a long time reputation of never breaking down/misfires and jams. AK's are relatively cheap. They can be used in a multi -purpose role. They are an excellent swamp gun for hunting, you can use high capacity magazines for defense/offense and at close to mid range they are pretty accurate. If you have bolt action scoped rifles that are very accurate. Use them for sniper rifles. The important thing is to have something. Something is better than nothing.

Bug Out Bags
If you plan on bugging out to a different location whether it is a stocked cabin or family and friends residence you will want a BOB. The size will depend on what you can carry comfortably. These bags will contain the minimum what is needed to sustain you until you can get to your location.

Now its time to pick this apart in a positive manner. How would you tell a new prepper to start? What can you add to what I have already written?

See less See more
#151 ·
The trick to having ___ months of food stored up is to buy more when you are DOWN to that point. Don't go out and buy that much, then use it all, then go out and buy it all over again.

For instance, if you calculate you need _ number of canned goods to last you that _ months, never let yourself get below that. Once you're down to that ___ months' worth, buy more.

Think of it as keeping your gas tank at least 3/4 full at all times.

#153 ·
I would wish myself and perhaps everyone who needs to pay attention to aspects that relate to special skills.
These skills always remain with us in any situation.
Everything else can be lost (and very easy), even if there was a lot of useful things and food (taking into account duplication and multiple redundancy).

Survival happens not when the man has the necessary equipment, water, food, shelter and other joys of life.
Because it's just a normal life according to a predetermined plan (if a man is a prepper).
Yes, many people do not have any plans at all, but this is their business.

It is quite another thing when there is almost no special clothes on a man, the surrounding situation is absolutely unfriendly, the equipment is missing (even if it had before).
A man can be sick, he wants to drink water, he wants to eat, maybe he has injured and morally depressed.
For example, if someone leaves me in the tundra or a very hot desert, then I will not live long if I won't be incredibly lucky.
But I know those who will be ten times better than me and they will survive there.

I have an endless list of desires as a prepper. But the most important thing I consider the ability to limit my desires and be able to be content with the minimum number of things.
As for the number of useful reserves, the limit of my greed is there, where the number of reserves becomes a problem for mobility, if necessary.
In addition, reserves may be lost for a number of other reasons, and this is very disappointing.

As for the choice of equipment, one military instructor likes to say that the best equipment is the equipment that you have in a crisis situation.
We all love high-quality things, but life can work out otherwise and you need to be able to use what is.

#154 · (Edited)
Personally, I am an absolutely new prepper. Actually there is much that I am still trying to get together for different situaltions.

So I have have enough food (I just bought a bit extra at the supermarket). I have multiple recipes, and I learn how to cook them. I have enough water.

I have a first aid kit that I have built following the recommendations of the experienced preppers here, just search this forum or any similar resource.

Everyone comes to prepping when time comes. Just start small and see how you grow. There are lots of resources like https://preppersillustrаted.com/ you can use that cover prepping hacks and tips.

#155 ·
Water, water water........and more water. Buy it, store it, find ways to collect it!

I felt this was a superior idea, whether or not you're in a forum, visiting your mom, or "rebuilding" a tragically punctured tire. I also believe in this "prepare your mind" ideal. But then, if I was with a buddy in a dusty desert I would want to know where the 'water' was fairly soon in our relationship.

I would also tell you to find a very stable guy with ideas and deep suggestions. This only happened to me one time. I was combing a section I had never seen before, and my friend showed me where the only "live water" was in the entire county. You have no idea just how valuable water can become when you think you don't have any more...

#156 ·
When I first began prepping, I started out by putting together a Survival Library. I bought books at garage sales. Flea markets, joining book clubs, and reading where to get some books as the need and the interest surfaced. Back many years ago I bought several Paladin books, and of course books on anything that had to do with old-time pioneer living. Home remedies, home chemistry, reloading, and of course the list grew as the years went by. Today, I have more than 7,000 books. One book, in particular, I really liked is Henley's Twentieth Century Book of Formulas, Processes & Trade Secrets. It shows you how to make nearly anything from scratch.

When I shopped, I always bought three of everything I could store long-term. Peas, carrots, lima beans, chili, and of course rice and beans. I also made sure I put away condiments. Eating the same old stuff every day gets old, you need to supplement the run-of-the-mill food with small delicacies such as hard candy to suck on, and honey. I concentrated on books, food, several portable plastic containers for water, a water purification kit, medicines, and weapons. After about a year, I was able to put together enough of each item to feel comfortable in knowing I could handle most situations, but the last thing I did, which takes the longest was to get to know people I could group up with who would be as interested in watching my six as I was in watching theirs. I did that slowly and over time met those I felt comfortable with.

Survival isn't just about beans, bullets, and band-aids, it is about people working together to survive mutually, and comfortable and surviving with dignity. You won't be able to alone. We all need others. The last thing anyone wants to be is a refugee running God knows where after something major comes down. You need to have a plan, and you need to practice your plan in order to be successful. Just getting into a vehicle of some sort and heading out somewhere else isn't a plan unless you know where you're going. It is a process, carefully thought out, assembled, and put together. Then you have to be able to protect it because there will be thousands who don't have a plan. Preps, only a hungry stomach and they will take whatever you have if you cannot protect it.

#157 ·
I can't believe this thread made it to 8 pages. New people, start reading this thread from the beginning. There is a lot of valuable information. Some suggestions repeat themselves so just skim those parts. Your guaranteed to learn something new.

#158 ·
"Just getting into a vehicle of some sort and heading out somewhere else isn't a plan unless you know where you're going. It is a process, carefully thought out, assembled, and put together. Then you have to be able to protect it because there will be thousands who don't have a plan." CRCaseyboy

Well put - my plan is to bug IN. This is my home, all my stuff is here, I have security systems in place, I know who doesn't belong etc.
They already lock all kinds of forest roads and would probably lock them ALL WTSHTF - if anyone was back there it'd be the Forest Service people and Their families and they ain't gonna want YOU there 😀

I also agree to prepare for the more likely but less sexy scenarios like temporary utility outages. I have been in them as well as hurricanes and you Don't want to be one of The Teeming Masses lined up for FEMA's kool aid.

#159 ·
Security systems only work if they are backed up by a battery and or electricity. What will you do when there is no electricity? The solar generators are great. If you plan to bug in, make sure you can power your home with your security system, otherwise, you're a sitting duck. Electricity is the oxygen of a civilized society. Good luck.

#160 ·
Good points, Casey.
My motion sensors and Blink cameras are lithium battery powered. The receivers are plug-in with battery backup.
I am still testing power-out capabilities with the solar generators and that will include my key security DVR and cameras plus monitor.
Second night on Jackery 500 using CPAP with no humidifer chamber dropped it to 66% - so that's about 2.7% per hour (if I did the math right).
I'm also shopping hard-wired solar to run things with the generators as backup.
So, yes - I am doing real-world testing and setup of my systems.
Thank you! :)

#161 ·
Just got a Blink a week or two ago. Seems to work ok. Bought the plan where they save the videos. Not sure how any cops would need the picture of a democrat weaing a hoody and mask for evidence since they all look alike..and all the cops around here seem to be missing in action. Most especially the traffic cops. People are driving crazy. Wonder whats up with that? Also what is the best deal on recharageble lithium batteries? thanks. I have rechargeable regular 2 As and a charger but my wife thinks they have to be lithium for some reason. The muslim neighbor who is a computer guru says all the lithium does is make it last longer..and as we know Creepy Joe gave the worlds largest supply of the stuff to the Chicoms when he ran off to let the poor folks starve in Afghanistan. Its unclear what a peson should do.

#167 ·
Before you spend 1 dime. Do the research first. Read up on books, some YT videos and learn. Don't waste your money on things you might not use. Everyone is different.
Mikey you nailed it.

I will add, "Location, location, location..."

Where you are will determine how you prepare. If you own land with a river and lake, your priority will not be water storage, though having a few barrels on hand never hurts.

Are you in an area that you can hunt or trap or fish?

Point is your location dictates your survival needs. Being in the City for example makes this more challenging due to storage space, and population.

First let me say that I am not a prepper but rather a Survivalist, and no not one of those militia types, but the prepper & the survivalist do have some similarities.

Where I personally started (though i didn't know it ) was when I was 6 years old at my families log cabin. The cabin was filled with books (how to , edible plant identification & mushroom, medicinal plants, plumbing, primitive weapons, and survival in the wilderness books) , tools (2 man hand saw, splitting axe, wedge, hatchet, hand powered drill, foot powered grinder/sharpener, adjustable wrenches, hammers & screw drivers, nails & screws, hand planer, files, chisels, etc.) rifles & ammo, M1, 22s, & a Bow n Arrow) and a heavily stocked pantry. These were the same tools my family used to build this log cabin. It had a fireplace and a wood burning heater.

I was completely fascinated with this cabin and its' contents. Over the years I read all the books, used all the primitive tools, learned to cut down & direct trees falling and split logs and was taught how to shoot by my retired Veteran Grandfather at 10. This was also the age in which My Gramps made me a hand made tool box that he filled with tools & power tools.
Brown Wood Table Drawer Cabinetry

My advice is to do as much research as you can prior to investing. You may find that some content like how to repair your stuff may not be very exciting, but trust me it will be a worth while endeavor.

Read books & YouTube videos on survival, prepping, food storage means (canning, dehydrating, water purification), solar power generators & home systems, food storage methods ( you don't want rodents & insects getting into your food), DIY, etc.

The most important thing I can tell you, whatever gear that you buy, learn how to use it and to fix it and never assume just cause you have something that you are safe. Having something you don't know how to use is a false security blanket that will do more harm then good, as you will think you are prepared.

Start with your Vehicle equipping it as a Bug Out Vehicle with all of your necessities, then set up a Bug Out Backpack, and last equip your residence with all the survival food, water, and gear. A surveillance system, solar portable backup generator with solar panels ( if in a house then a full solar system with multiple panels & batteries), and some means for protection. (Mace if legal works wonders, can't shoot someone if you can't see them)

The more you know and the better prepared you are the more likely you will get through a SHTF scenario.

#170 ·
"The more you know, the less you have to carry. The less you know, the more you have to carry."
-Mors Kochanski

Everything I'm about to say is something I was guilty of doing when I became a new prepper seven years ago.

-Knowledge of hunting, farming, trapping, foraging, fishing, etc. are going to help you long after the canned goods and MRE's are gone. You can have all the ammunition in the world but if you starve a month into Grid Down then you've wasted your time and money.
-Keep your savings in cash and not in a bank account. If The Great Depression Part 2 ever happens you won't be able to pull your money out at the same value as what you put it in.
-Short-term prepping. Many people go for the doomsday scenario and neglect to prep for smaller things like natural disasters. Having a good chainsaw and other outdoor tools will be vital for that kind of situation.
-Many individuals purchase cheap gear to throw in their bag and never test out the gear.
-Many fall for gimmicks like collapsible cups and plastic match carriers.
-Walmart isn't a great place to buy gear. Their camping section is comprised mostly of things that will be useful for a weekend camping trip and not for hard, long-term use.
-Try to find undeveloped land and live as self-sufficiently as possible. People nowadays are so used to constantly having the luxury convenience of a hot shower, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing. Get yourself out of the modern mindset and learn to homestead. If the power fails then you won't be blindsided like all the other modernites.
-Don't allow prepping to consume you to the point of paranoia. Enjoy life and visiting places with family. If something happens while you are out of state then you should have the knowledge to make it work wherever you are.

#172 ·
#173 ·
Great thread! Starting with food, your advice on setting goals for food storage is spot-on. I'd also suggest learning basic cooking skills for diverse meals. Regarding water, having a reliable water filter in your kit is crucial for long-term survival. For power, a small solar charger for essentials is handy. When it comes to defense, training is key—know how to use your firearm safely and effectively. And for bug-out bags, customizing it based on your location and needs is essential. Stay informed and adapt as needed!

#177 · (Edited)
All of the lists above are fantastic and I’m going to use those for reference. Thanks for that information.

However, over the years, I’ve been asked the same question many times “how do I get started”? My answers always this, get a cardboard box put it in your kitchen the next time you go to the market buy a couple cans extra of whatever you’re buying, a jug of water, and when you come home, you can put away your groceries, then put those two or three extra things in the box and just keep doing that.

In my experience, it’s always the hardest taking that first step, and we have to make the first step as easy as possible for any newbies . They can graduate to all the lists and bug out bags and all that stuff later, they just have to start!

#179 ·
I wanted to start a thread on information that new preppers should start out with. Something to get them on the right tract. If enough seasoned preppers participate, this thread will be an excellent resource for newbie's to go to.

I will start the thread.

Food
Buy lots of food. Food should be one of your highest priorities besides water and defense. Get a mixture of food items that stores long term like rice and beans. The stuff your going to eat with the rice and beans. A variety of canned goods. Keep in mind that expiration dates are just the manufactures way to guarantee that their product will stay fresh and palatable. Use your judgment on how long after the expiration dates that you will keep them. Most items should be good years past their dates.

I keep MRE's in stock also. When they start to age then we use them for camping/hiking. Otherwise it is nice to have a stock of food you don't have to cook and can immediately eat cold if you want. Especially during a bug out.

Set your goals. Like one weeks worth of groceries, then just keep working your way up until you have six months of food or what ever you set as your ultimate goal of food storage.

Check out Step 3: Three Month Food Supply there is a really great excel spreadsheet that you can download that will help out with your food storage plan.

Consider getting a dehydrator. You can dehydrate a lot of foods and they will last a really long time especially if you store your stuff in Mylar bags inside of 5 gallon buckets with oxygen absorbers in them. You can learn how to store this way by watching some You Tube videos.

If you live in a rural area plant fruit trees. Once they mature you will have all the fruit you can eat and it will give you something to barter with.

Water
You will want to store water. How much? Well that's going to depend on your situation. Do you live in an apartment in the city or a homestead in a rural area?

If you drink those individual water bottle bottles then stock up heavy on them just keep in mind that the bottles are designed to break down over time. They will eventually leak. If you can not store a lot of water then prepare your self to be able to procure water from a source like a pond or stream. There are several ways to make water potable, water purification filters, chemical means like bleach and iodine tablets and boiling the water.

Power
Consider getting a generator for power outages. Especially if you live near the coast where a hurricane could mess you up. There are multi fuel generators available. Propane and gas, just gas, just propane and just diesel. If your going to invest in a generator then invest in a generator transfer switch.

The switch hooks up to your circuit breaker box and lets you have power with your generator but prevents back feeding the electrical line. It also does away with all of the extension cords. Reliance and Generac are good brand names.

Depending on the emergency you may not want to use it in a prolonged manner, just use it intermittently to keep your fridge and freezer cold. And you may not want to use lights in the evening. It will be like beacon to desperate people.

Defense
Your going to want a firearm to defend your family and property.

Which firearms should you use? Ask several different people and you will get several different answers. It is recommended that you standardize so ammunition and repair parts will be easier to stock. Stick to NATO type calibers with the addition of a few others. NATO calibers usually consist of 9mm, 45cal, 7.62X52mm/.308cal, 5.56mm/.223, 12gauge, .50cal, .300 win mag.

I would add the 7.62X39 to your possible lists to choose from, why? Because the AK 47 has a long time reputation of never breaking down/misfires and jams. AK's are relatively cheap. They can be used in a multi -purpose role. They are an excellent swamp gun for hunting, you can use high capacity magazines for defense/offense and at close to mid range they are pretty accurate. If you have bolt action scoped rifles that are very accurate. Use them for sniper rifles. The important thing is to have something. Something is better than nothing.

Bug Out Bags
If you plan on bugging out to a different location whether it is a stocked cabin or family and friends residence you will want a BOB. The size will depend on what you can carry comfortably. These bags will contain the minimum what is needed to sustain you until you can get to your location.

Now its time to pick this apart in a positive manner. How would you tell a new prepper to start? What can you add to what I have already written?
My focus, when commenting on these scenarios is the loss of the power grid.
Pretty much anything else will be temporary and the rule of law will likely still be in place after the initial event.

The first step a new prepper should take now, is to find a bugout location. Google Earth is a pretty good tool for locating areas with very low populations. Unless you already live in a sparsely populated area you will have to bug out. When the power goes out, bugging in is not an option.

Next, you will need to acquire the means to. purify water and have sources of water to purify. Storing hundreds o gallons of water at your home makes no sense if you are forced to leave anyway. Have enough water to get you where you are going. You will already know sources of water so there is no need to carry tons of it. Have several different water filters.

After water, comes food. While it is economical to have canned goods or home- canned items, transporting them in an emergency becomes problematic if you must leave in a hurry. Better to cache these foods at your bug-out location and have lightweight packaged foods such as these https://www.amazon.com/Wornick-Comp..._bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_pd_gwd_bag_pd_gw_rp_4_t that can be tossed in a car at a moments notice.

You should start making frequent trips to Goodwill, now, in search of higher-end clothing that people donate. North Face, Eddie Bauer, and other items often find their way to Goodwill. Stock up pants, shirts, coats and personal items for each family member and store them in thin under-the-bed storage boxes from Amazon. In a crisis is not the time to start packing.

All of your first aid and medical needs should already be packed in a suitable container.

The idea is to have everything ready to avoid confusion when you must go.

In a grid down event, you will likely have hours before chaos erupts in the streets of a large city. You may have overnight if you are in a smaller community, and one or two days in very small communities.

Forget about the grayman, and forget about getting your buddies together to defend your neighborhood. Neither is practical.

#180 ·
I'm sort of late to the party here on this thread, but based on my experiences...
Get a broad, general idea of what prepping even is. Bear Independent's prepper classroom series does a great job of teaching prepping in this way. No one will ever be an expert in everything, but we should all have at least a surface-level knowledge of the different aspects of preparedness.
Also, don't let prepping take over your thinking. Prepping isn't necessarily about coming out of every single problem completely unscathed. Prepping is about mitigating the damage when things go wrong. You wont always be able to see every threat coming no matter how hard you try.

#181 ·
This is all beginner stuff that could be done TODAY if somebody wants to get started prepping for minimal time, money, or research.

Beginner preps for ON-THE-GO EMERGENCIES:

Car charger for your phone.
Umbrella
Blanket
Small stash of cash in your car.
Multitool (I carry a Gerber Suspension-NXT in my pocket daily, but sticking it in your car works too)
Go to CVS and grab a $30 first aid kit and throw it in your car. Study it a little bit, so you are familiar with what's in there. Mine has gloves and tweezers and an emergency blanket and asprin and a cold pack. It isn't just gauze and Neosporin. But you have to know that.
a few heavy-duty garbage bags (garbage, emergency ponchos, keeping stuff dry, material for tying stuff)
A pack of ScotchBrite reusable wipes (or at least some napkins)
Ensure spare tire has air in it and practice installing it.
Jumper cables (A power supply with jumper cables, light, usb output to charge your devices is even better)

Beginner preps for PERSONAL EMERGENCIES:

I struggle with this one. It's complicated: heart attack, missing child, victim of crime, job loss... It's not as simple as just buying a product.

Home first aid kit (the one in your car can do double duty if necessary)
Start a discussion about emergency plans with family: Who can help? Which hospital?
Start building a more substantial emergency fund. (I like VMFXX money market fund)

Beginner preps for INFRASTRUCTURE EMERGENCIES:
(you are still healthy, have your home and all your stuff)

Keep an extra can of gasoline (with fuel stabilizer added). Pour into your car and refill occasionally to keep it fresh.
Keep a nearly full tank of gas in your car in general. Don't let it get down to the E.
For cooking, keep an extra 20lb tank of propane for existing grill or camp stove or buy a simple burner.
Keep a stash of cash.
Bicycle
Get a LifeStraw for emergency water filtration
A battery radio (Consider emergency radio and USB power source (solar, crank power))
Maintain "deep cabinets" - same stuff you usually buy, but simply keep more of it on hand
Dry rice and beans are so cheap, you might as well keep them on hand, even if you don't normally eat them
SPAM, canned tuna, canned chicken (meat, water, bartering)
Plan how to stay warm if there is no electricity to run the furnace

Beginner preps for EVACUATION EMERGENCIES:

Store important documents in an inexpensive fireproof and waterproof bag
Energy bars
Water
Warm clothing (I have an old ski jacket. It is waterproof and has a removable liner, so it give me lots of options)
Clean underwear
Wool socks don't get nearly as wet and gross
Cash, LifeStraw, and radio from previous list can be helpful for evacuation as well.

Make maximum use of your phone. Download GPS map data for offline use. Download radio app and have wired headphones to function as antenna. Text messages will often go through, even when call won't. Register for whatever emergency alert systems are available in your area.