Where to begin as a new prepper - Page 9
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where to begin as a new prepper

This is a discussion on Where to begin as a new prepper within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Great thread, thanks!...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Where to begin as a new prepper

Great thread, thanks!
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

Alternative Communication and Security

During and after a serious SHTF incident like an EMP or a terrorist attack.* We may loose power and if it is a long term event then generators will eventually run out of fuel, rechargeable batteries will wear out.* We just may have to learn to adapt without electricity.* Without power then you will not be able to operate electronic communication systems.

For many of us we depend on radios to communicate with others as part of our security protocols.* I am going to briefly write about different methods of non electrical communication means and other security methods that may include solar/batteries.

During WW2 at the beginning of D Day.* Airborne soldiers behind enemy lines used a cricket children toy to signal friend from foe..* Here is a reproduction cricket clicker that was used during D Day.
    D-DAY US Paratrooper Signaling Cricket | eBay They are going for $9.99 each or so on eBay depending on the listing.

For an alternative with a much cheaper price, this eBay listing is a dozen children cricket clickers for $4.98 with free shipping.* Other listings of the same product were wanting around $8.00 for a dozen.* I was impressed with the clickers when they arrived most of the product is made out of metal.
    Lot of 12 Colorful Insect Clicker Bug Noise Makers | eBay

These clicker could be used in the same manner as the WW2 soldiers used them.* You can use these assuming you have manpower made up of friends and family members to guard your homestead.* If you are smart you will have LP and OP positions to alert you of incoming threats, guards on your entrances and roving guards.* These clickers could be issued to your guards so in the middle of the night if they need to challenge someone they can use the clicker and it wont immediately give away their position like a voice will.* Then the response will be another clicker.

Other forms of communication could be:

Powerful whistle.* Different tweets on the whistle could mean different things or just the whistle could be attack or retreat.*

You can get 12ga booby traps.* The booby trap uses a blank round, or a CS teargas round or a flare.* Other rounds like buckshot could be used but they will ruin the devise and the fact that setting it up with this type of ammunition is dangerous especially if you have kids in the area.* This warning devise is awesome as it can guard your perimeter when you are not.

Smoke Grenades, when I say grenades, I am not necessarily speaking of military smoke, just a smoke generating devise in general. Smoke can be useful for screening troop movements or using a certain color like red, it can be used to order a retreat.* There are a couple different types.* There is the generally less expensive fuse lit and the pull ignition.* The pull ignition is quicker but more expensive and you have to pay for an add on HAZMAT shipping charge.* The fuse lit ones you just pay a shipping fee.

Flare Guns, harder to get is the 26.5mm European flare guns and flares.* They are getting harder to get and more expensive if you can find them.* They manufactured black, blue, orange smoke rounds.* Red, red rain, green flares and the best flare is the white illumination parachute flare.* These flares really light up the area.* If you can find them they will be over $100.00 for a box of 10.* Because the military flares are slowly drying up someone decided to make an adapter.* You can buy a 12ga to 26.5mm adapter allowing you to use marine 12ga flares and other civilian 12ga flares like red, green, white, blue and yellow.* The same as the other devises listed, you can have different meanings for the different color flares or for daytime use you could use the different smoke flares.* Note the smoke generated from the flare is not enough for screening movement just for marking a location or for communication purposes.* It only lasts for a several seconds.* The white illumination parachute flare is basically for self defense purposes.* If you think you are being probed or infiltrated then touch off one of these flares and it lights up an acre +/-.* U.S. Troops are taught to instantly drop prone and keep your shooting eye closed to save your night vision when a flare is illuminating your location.* You need to train your prepper group to do the same until they have to fire.* Chances are if a marauding group is trying your position out.* There not going to know what is going on so it will give your people a chance to take them out.* Just be prepared to pop off another illuminating flare before the other one goes out.

Now some other warning methods that you can use on your perimeter or other tactical locations is solar powered motion activated light.* For locations where there is not a lot of sun to recharge the batteries with the solar panel like in a woodline there is a battery powered motion activated light.* The one that I have takes 3 or 4 C batteries.* On eBay you can find battery operated exterior motion activated alarm.* You just have to learn to research a little.* It takes time.

I will list some links to companies that I am watching and thinking about ordering from.

12ga booby trap
    12 Gauge Security Control System - HV005

12 GA perimeter alarm

AmericanSpecialtyAmmo.com

12ga flare adapter
    http://www.keepshooting.com/12-gauge-insert.html

12ga flare

Replacement blanks & Flares for perimeter alarm

Exotic Shotgun Ammo

26.5mm flare
    Dan's Sporting Goods Ammo Page

Survival Supplies - Featured Items - Military Shooters LLC

Smoke
    Sport Smoke | smoke grenades, tactical smoke grenade, paintball smoke grenades, airsoft smoke grenades, tsg, battlefield smoke grenades, pb200, sportsman, smoke bombs, smoke grenades for sale
    I have ordered from sportsmoke before.* Everything went well and the product produced a lot of smoke 40,000 cft is a lot of smoke.
    Hobby Smoke Grenades

1 5 minute smoke bomb or canister

1 White smoke stick

To protect the perimeter at night without making noise, use a CHEM Light or a glow stick/snap light. As long as you are in visual range of it of course.

Set the trap with a trip wire attached to the end of release lever. When intruder walks past your perimeter it will release the trap and impact the glow stick causing it to illuminate within seconds. Remember to set up your traps so they are always in your line of vision from your defensive position.

Here is a video showing how it works:

Two different videos 1 showing horizontal and 2 vertical chemlight. I made my rat traps so they will accept a chemlight both ways. You never know when or how you will emplace the alarm. When they go off they make a pretty loud swack and then you see the light. Pretty cool. I buy traps at Walmart for $2. each and at Home Depot for a two pack for $3. something.

Caltrops
    Here is a video to make caltrops. You have to have or know someone with a welder. Note that if you want to take out vehicle tires you will need rebar. The nails just don't have the strength for a rapid deflation.

Check out his other caltrop video #2, #3. I like #1 the best for anti personal.

and finally

the Dollar Tree Door/Window home made electronic tripwire alarm. There cheap, you can get the battery's at Dollar Tree also.

The best purchase for chemlights/glow sticks for the rat trap is at Dollar Tree. You can buy 6" lights two to a package for $1. I looked on eBay and local and nothing compared. The expired military surplus are still an arm and a leg on eBay. The cheapest I found on eBay was around one dollar each. Walmart has them for around one dollar each.

I tested one and it performed pretty good. I snapped it at 8pm and it produced a good amount of light. I checked it 4 hours later at midnight and it still had the same amount of light. When I got up at 7am it was still lit but not very bright as expected. For what you need it for (rat trap alarms) they are perfect. Something else you can do is use mouse traps(cheaper) and instead of 6" use the bracelet style lights.

The beauty of these things is that your LP/OP can hear the trap go off and know what direction and a few seconds later they can see exactly what direction the offender is coming from.

If you are in a wooded area fish hooks are a really good defensive tool. I have been buying fish hooks on clearance from Walmart and other stores from the winter season. I am buying as many medium to large fish hooks as I can get because the front part of my property that borders the road is very thick wooded with a mixture of regular trees, cedar trees and some pine. After a major SHTF as it gets close to WROL I plan on hanging these hooks from tree branches at different height where it will connect with a human.

During daytime there is a good chance that they could be seen but when you are under fire you have to move fast and if your moving fast you wont be seeing something that small when you trying to see where shooters are. Now that was for a stupid marauder. Military usually attack in the dark pre dawn or sometime in the night when the defender is sleeping. If your moving at night your not going to see fish hooks. Even if your blessed to have NVG's the hooks are just going to blend in with twigs. Combine that with your still trying to move quick once someone starts to open fire.

So why hook someone? If your attacker gets hooked he's stuck because of the barbs. If your stuck standing up messing with a fish hook that is in your skin you are easy prey for a defender. I thought about buying steel leaders to make it hard to break the hook off and they are not cost effective. I bought 50lb test fishing line to use with the hooks.

One thing I neglected to mention is that you want your property posted with warning no trespassing signs regardless of good/bad times, its about liability. But after WROL and you emplace different devises you really should have some type of fencing and have the property posted. You don't want some kid that doesn't know any better getting hurt.

What did I miss?* What have you planned for that I did not mention?
    Last edited by MaterielGeneral; 04-11-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    azrancher and Crunch like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

I'm surprised, nobody commented on the last post I made. I figured it would either be it sucks or cool.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    I'm surprised, nobody commented on the last post I made. I figured it would either be it sucks or cool.
    OK, i'll bite, the fish hook is effective but I would never use them here, I'd hook myself.

The chemlight is good, however having been at an LP and exhausted to boot,

I want something loud like it tripping and setting off a 12 gage casing filled with FFFG BP, or a 1/4# block of TNT.

I want a blast that will wake me up, stun the OPFOR, and give me cover to abandon the LP and make it back to the MLR.

On the caltrop, you could braze them together with a Mapp torch. GI issue ones were spot welded together.

The mag trip alarm is good IF you got good hearing, I would have to be within bayonet range to hear it, half deaf from crew served guns.

But overall good stuff for beginners, giving them guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    I read more than I comment, but I'll chime in here. The booby traps, warning devices, tripwires, etc can all be very useful in certain circumstances. Of course, if you've got kids or dogs running around, caution is warranted.

What I immediately thought of is how to defeat these defenses. Scouting the target before the attack would be one way. Send in some harmless seeming person to trade or just ask a question, and she takes notice of wires, traps etc. Then she reports back to the main force before the actual attack. Just a quick thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    OK, i'll bite, the fish hook is effective but I would never use them here, I'd hook myself.

The chemlight is good, however having been at an LP and exhausted to boot,

I want something loud like it tripping and setting off a 12 gage casing filled with FFFG BP, or a 1/4# block of TNT.

I want a blast that will wake me up, stun the OPFOR, and give me cover to abandon the LP and make it back to the MLR.

On the caltrop, you could braze them together with a Mapp torch. GI issue ones were spot welded together.

The mag trip alarm is good IF you got good hearing, I would have to be within bayonet range to hear it, half deaf from crew served guns.

But overall good stuff for beginners, giving them guidance.
    I did not get to heavy on the things that go boom because I did not want to piss off forum management so I kept it clean. There is many ways to make an IED, some stuff you can look on YouTube but check out

Using an electronic match from model rockets and something similar to the video and you get the point, claymore theory. This would be awesome inside an LP/OP with a batter and a bunch of wires. It will be like 4th of July, LOL. There was 12ga trip wire perimeter alarm in the links above. I have several and there to expensive but they are nice. They use a blank, flare or teargas round. I would not put out the fish hooks or anything really harmful unless it was WROL or I knew an impending attack was coming. I really like the caltrop idea. I already scouted home depot and you can get 5lbs of nails for about $14.00 depending on the length is how much quantity you get. Bigger nails less product. I'm going to do some longer ones and then shorter ones. I want some bigger ones for some of the small depressions that could be used for a hasty fighting position that way if someone coming in rapidly they wont have time to react before jumping into the depression. Once stuck by a larger caltrop its going to hurt and they probably will jump up making an opportunity for a kill shot. I'm going to make some from rebar for vehicles also later.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I read more than I comment, but I'll chime in here. The booby traps, warning devices, tripwires, etc can all be very useful in certain circumstances. Of course, if you've got kids or dogs running around, caution is warranted.

What I immediately thought of is how to defeat these defenses. Scouting the target before the attack would be one way. Send in some harmless seeming person to trade or just ask a question, and she takes notice of wires, traps etc. Then she reports back to the main force before the actual attack. Just a quick thought.
    Myself like I mentioned above nothing hazardous will be emplaced until it gets closer to WROL or an impending attack. But really it is just going to depend on each persons circumstances, where they live and what kind of property they have. There isn't any sense of buying fish hooks for your property if you live in a city with no trees to hang them off of. It all going to come down to you and what you have to work with. You are defiantly right about a spy/scout. Never let anyone in your perimeter if they persist and its WROL I have no problem giving a dirt nap. I am really big on guards, LP/OP and scouting missions. You have to know what is going on in your area. You do not want to meet an enemy at your gates when you could of been out talking to people/neighbors/community and scouting gaining intel and fighting the enemy on your terms driving them away. Sniper fire and ambushes guerrilla warfare style is a bitch when you don't have the big .gov resources to stop it.
    sideKahr and Crunch like this.

Being overseas and taking a few HME and AIEDD courses gave me enough knowledge of booby traps, IEDs and all sorts of devious shit for years to come.

My only issue with setting up perm/semi-perm traps are maintainence and self-degradation...especially with HME...TATP, HMTD and even Lead Azide decompose rather quickly

At best, theyll lose their chemical composition and Low Order (deflagrate) versus High Order (detonate)...at worst you lose a hand, or it goes off randomly and gives away your position

And those are just I&P explosives...Booster or HE grade shit will really mess your day up. Rule of thumb is even though the ATF Orange Book advises you can roll your own demo as long as you use it that day...dont talk about it...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSOFSurvivor View Post
    Rule of thumb is even though the ATF Orange Book advises you can roll your own demo as long as you use it that day...dont talk about it...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Oh, heck NO, LOL. I am not building crap right now that is illegal. One, I cannot stand the ATF and do not want them stacking up on my door. I'll end up BBQ or my family killed like Waco or Ruby Ridge. Now, I may buy stuff that is perfectly legal by itself and its appointed purpose for another use and just store it. Most likely in different locations. If and that's a big if, something comes up and I do something about something then it will get cached somewhere but not on my property.
    Last edited by MaterielGeneral; 04-13-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added text

All the information here is great, just a few "dont's"

1. Don't go out and buy $10,000 worth of guns, ammo and all kinds of tactical goodies, and then buy 2 cans of beans and a gallon of water.
    2. Don't get sucked into just buying "stuff" spend those $$ on training, first aid, firearms, how to grow food etc etc.
    3. Don't blab to the world what you are doing, keep your mouth SHUT. That will avoid a lot of the "I'm coming to your house" crap.
    "Every day above ground is a good one" Author KO

Work on your Comms. Doesnt need to be super complicated. Work out a place to meet during a disaster, a set of one word text codes for your family should you be in trouble, reached your destination, en route etc. something that is easy to punch in on the fly. these can be used on radios too!
    get a good set of FRS/GMRS Radios. the ones that use standard size batteries (rechargeable is fine, just be able to switch to Alkaline Batteries should you be unable to charge it. Many of the new ones charge using Micro USB so you can charge it in the car with your phone charger.
    Designate some dead drops for paper comms. the end of a pipe on a fence, under a rock, etc.
    Shawn, AKA The Ridge Runner
    Check out my survival and preparedness web site at:
    Hidden Content

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.
    Havamal #38

"I dont care, Im still free, you can't take the sky from me" 'Firefly

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links