OSINT and SITREP with Twitter - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

OSINT and SITREP with Twitter

This is a discussion on OSINT and SITREP with Twitter within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Thanks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: OSINT and SITREP with Twitter

Thanks
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

Banned

Just a word of caution. NATO uses social media to engineer and control the public. Information from untrusted sources may be false. People can lie.

Do not trust Facebook or twitter for anything important. If you don't have trusted human interest from a secure com it is only a possible situation, don't bet the farm on it, use it only as a cautionary.

Example
    http://theconversation.com/army-join...-brigade-37125

There is a lot of false info online, do not trust your life to the internet.

Online counter Intel and disruption and bait ops are done.
    Last edited by Will2; 03-05-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    DadofTheFamily and CWOLDOJAX like this.

I want to move this thread back to the top as we approach Jade Helm and also are monitoring all the other interesting things that are happening right now. I continue to find Twitter to be an excellent OSINT tool to monitor the open source communications from private and government sources. I'm setting up "follows" on the local communities per what is claimed to be the operational theater for Jade Helm. Twitter again it's a great tool to be able to use this information to gather on the ground intelligence from both official and unofficial sources especially effective on bypassing the mainstream media. I would encourage people to try using Twitter for open-source intelligence and prove its value during the Jade Helm exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by DadofTheFamily View Post
    Attachment 10136I have found Twitter to be a helpful resource for OSINT (Open Source Intelligence) and SITREP. If you are not familiar with Twitter, it is a generally billed as a micro-blog or a two-sentence Face book. It's used by tons of people for everything from the mundane and useless to breaking news

Twitter has already proved itself as being an effective tool during times of unrest, upheaval and disasters.

• 2009's Iranian Green Revolution kept the world on edge through Tweets.
    • 2012's Hurricane Sandy was chronicled via Twitter
    • 2013's Egyptian revolution was Tweeted live.
    • 2015's Unrest in Ferguson was Tweeted live.

You can use Twitter to create your own Early Warning for monitoring an emergency situation, possibly keeping you ahead of the curve and news cycle. Here's how to create your own OSINT and SITREP Dashboard:

• Setup a special Twitter account for just the purpose of monitoring SITREP. It's better to do this since it's private and you'll have less noise (chatter with other people you may follow). You are not going to post anything here. You're just monitoring for gathering intel.
    • Follow relevant local twitter feeds (such as your local/state police, fire, EMS, government, weather and airport)
    • Follow relevant NOAA twitter feeds especially if you live in areas prone to earthquakes and harsh weather conditions
    • Follow relevant weather feeds for your area.
    • Follow state and US Emergency Management feeds (FEMA, DHS, Emergency Management)
    • Organize your feeds into lists. Lists are important to keep your SITREP from being cluttered with idle chatter (you'll see why later)
    • Next setup an account on Twitterfall.com
    • Connect your Twitter lists to your Twitterfall.com account and you can quickly sort and organize information based on events or situation you want to monitor. They are all color coded for easy viewing.
    • Within minutes you'll be gathering OSINT intel and SITREP

Twitterfall also allows you to search for keywords and hashtags if you want to filter your results even more.

Another neat feature of Twitterfall is the Geolocation feature that can fine tune information that is more likely first hand. So for example there may be an event happening in New York. You can choose to see Tweets originating from as little as a 10 KM radius and up to 200 Miles. This is very helpful when people are taking photos or videos from the general location where an event is happening.

So what am I monitoring?

• I monitor financial content from economists, commentators, the FED, central bankers, etc.
    • I monitor breaking news events and independent reporters in conflict areas
    • I monitor emergency management departments throughout my region, states that border mine and several major cities.

What I am not montoring?

• I do not monitor the main stream news outlets since they are cluttered with useless news.
    • I do not monitor preppers on Twitter who keep babbling on and are always selling stuff
    • I do not monitor twitter feeds from my favorite websites since I visit them frequently
    • I do not monitor "noise". I don't want drivel, I want Intel!

There are other Twitter programs like HootSuite that can provide even better organization and searching but I've found Twitterfall easy to use and a great place to start.

I hope this helps add some more info for your OSINT colleciton.
    Denton likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links