Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Survival had the idea of challenges on the site, along with photos, etc, that really jazzed me. There are so many things that I understand ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove

Survival had the idea of challenges on the site, along with photos, etc, that really jazzed me. There are so many things that I understand intellectually, but have no real world experience with. So today I decided to try a build that I've wanted to do for awhile, a simple alcohol stove. We all know we can do this, right? Many of us have. Well, my first attempt has to be rated at a 'partial' success.

Attachment 9791 Attachment 9792 Attachment 9793

It burns. I think I crushed the top down too far, and there is very little capacity inside for alcohol, so it doesn't burn very long. I'll do better next time.

Update:

Not happy with this at all. Tried various fuels. A pile of twigs would produce more heat.

Attachment 9798
    Last edited by sideKahr; 02-11-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    survival, Arklatex, Slippy and 5 others like this.

Made this a sticky and changed the title to Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove.

Remember folks, you don't have to participate, and there is no time frame on these. Also, there is no belittling of others on how they did the challenge.

To "COMPLETE" the challenge, you have to take a simple photo.

Prepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-uploadfromtaptalk1423670259329.jpg

Made last summer. Works pretty good! I run everclear through it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Made this one out of those aluminum beer bottles. Thicker walls. Lasted long enough to boil two cups of water and hold it there for a while. Used a drill to make the small holes with a penny to block to fill holes. Scary when it ran out. Would over vapor and shoot flames six to eight inches and flash off.

Prepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-imageuploadedbytapatalk1423674286.539004.jpg
    Prepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-imageuploadedbytapatalk1423674316.573476.jpg
    Prepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-imageuploadedbytapatalk1423674572.760030.jpg
    Last edited by Dubyagee; 02-11-2015 at 11:12 AM.

I made this one out of an old stainless steel water bottle that the elementary school had in the lost and found at the end of the year. They had probably a hundred of these. I wanted something a little sturdier than a coke can or beer can and I wanted more capacity because I'll likely be cooking for three. If I had it to do over again I would have used TWO bottles and used the ends of the bottle with a little fiber glass inside. But the current version works well and doesn't suck at all.

Prepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-img_1006.jpgPrepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-img_1007.jpgPrepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-img_1008.jpg

The penny is for size reference. Yeah - it is a little bigger than most. I haven't measured capacity or timed to see how long to boil water. Was using ever clear and denatured alcohol, but I'd like to try HEET.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

First one I've seen like that Gallop. Pretty neat, did you come up with the design yourself? would like to see instructions.
    Last edited by Arklatex; 02-11-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Banned

This is the style and method that I followed:

I promise to follow up with my own photos so y'all know I'm not BSing you.
    survival, jimb1972 and Renec like this.

Same one I did.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

What types of liquid fuel can be used? Lighter fluid? kerosene? Rubbing alcohol? lamp oil? Moonshine? Drinking alcohol? Diesel? (I don't know, that's why I'm asking).

What proof of drinking alcohol must it be in order to light?

I would figure drinking alcohol would be the most common on a regular camping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    What types of liquid fuel can be used? Lighter fluid? kerosene? Rubbing alcohol? lamp oil? Moonshine? Drinking alcohol? Diesel? (I don't know, that's why I'm asking).

What proof of drinking alcohol must it be in order to light?

I would figure drinking alcohol would be the most common on a regular camping trip.
    Here is a video I found informative. I still stick with everclear because it is a multi use item

Alcohol Stove Fuel, which is best? Six Alcohol Fu…:
    survival, GTGallop and Renec like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links