Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove

This is a discussion on Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Thought I'd try something different. Used an empty mink oil can, drilled holes around the lid. Ultimately I couldn't keep it burning so I wound ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Prepper challenges: #1 Alcohol Stove

Thought I'd try something different. Used an empty mink oil can, drilled holes around the lid. Ultimately I couldn't keep it burning so I wound up pulling the lid off and lighting just the bottom. Brought my heavy Al pan of water to a boil in a little over 4 min. Using heat as fuel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-uploadfromtaptalk1423710408422.jpg  

Prepper challenges:  #1  Alcohol Stove-uploadfromtaptalk1423710643638.jpg  

survival and Arklatex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Attachment 9794

Made last summer. Works pretty good! I run everclear through it.
    Alcohol abuse!! You must consume 5 shots of Everclear for forgiveness of your sin. Also, before trying the alcohol stove again, you must purchase 10 bottles of rubbing alcohol to burn in future alcohol stoves. What did Everclear do to receive this treatment?
    I raise my Jack Daniels to your Everclear. :'(

It is a great challenge, and we are trying it right now.

Hidden Content + Hidden Content = :couple_inlove:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffofnc View Post
    Thought I'd try something different. Used an empty mink oil can, drilled holes around the lid. Ultimately I couldn't keep it burning so I wound up pulling the lid off and lighting just the bottom. Brought my heavy Al pan of water to a boil in a little over 4 min. Using heat as fuel.
    Your design will work with some steel wool or fiberglass inside. It helps wick the fuel up to the top.
    Jeffofnc and tinkerhell like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Will try! Thanks.

Shoots and I gave this a couple tries. We have more to do to improve function to our liking, but we think we have the basic concept and root function down. Version 1.0 is made from 2 monster cans. We had a split down to the base of our outer can that leaked a bit. Version 2.0 we used 91% rubbing alcohol and built the stove from one single regular sized soda can.

Last edited by Jakthesoldier; 02-12-2015 at 12:31 AM.
    Arklatex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    Shoots and I gave this a couple tries. We have more to do to improve function to our liking, but we think we have the basic concept and root function down. Version 1.0 is made from 2 monster cans. We had a split down to the base of our outer can that leaked a bit. Version 2.0 we used 91% rubbing alcohol and built the stove from one single regular sized soda can.

When you try to play your videos it says they are private.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Here is a video I found informative. I still stick with everclear because it is a multi use item

Alcohol Stove Fuel, which is best? Six Alcohol Fu…:
    I read somewhere that one of the HEET is toxic and one is not.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Some uses for grain alchohol like everclear.
    Moonshine Why Carry:

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Survival had the idea of challenges on the site, along with photos, etc, that really jazzed me. There are so many things that I understand intellectually, but have no real world experience with. So today I decided to try a build that I've wanted to do for awhile, a simple alcohol stove. We all know we can do this, right? Many of us have. Well, my first attempt has to be rated at a 'partial' success.

Attachment 9791 Attachment 9792 Attachment 9793

It burns. I think I crushed the top down too far, and there is very little capacity inside for alcohol, so it doesn't burn very long. I'll do better next time.

Update:

Not happy with this at all. Tried various fuels. A pile of twigs would produce more heat.

Attachment 9798
    Did you cover the three holes in the center after filling?
    I have made a few, and, in my experience, your design looks good, with the addition of a quarter, instead of a penny(becouse the holes look slightly larger than a penny would cover. If it's not "jetting", it's not running right. The pressure inside causes you to burn the fumes, not the alcohol.
    And, by spilling a little fuel around the can, it will heat the outside faster, and speed up the jet time. I was scared the first time, hearing it roar and thinking it might blow fuel everywhere.
    sideKahr and Dubyagee like this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffofnc View Post
    This style is a good option for fellow preppers that don't like the pressurizing models. Some people have problems getting them to pressurized when sitting on snow or ice. Never placing them on snow or ice is another good option.
    Last edited by tinkerhell; 02-12-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links