Teach me something
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Teach me something

This is a discussion on Teach me something within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; As a prepper I would score myself about a 65 on a scale of 1-100 as far as knowledge, supplies, etc. The entire reason I ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Teach me something

Super Moderator

Teach me something

As a prepper I would score myself about a 65 on a scale of 1-100 as far as knowledge, supplies, etc. The entire reason I came here was to learn more and with that I'd like you guys to school me. We all know the basics but everyone has some little piece of knowledge most don't know or think about. So what small tip (on any prepping subject) can you teach me?
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

I understand and respect your ambition to learn the more rare tricks of the trade.
    I also worry this way of learning will not serve you as well as you or I both would hope.

The purpose of prepping is not only to survive but also to take time, to make proper preparation
    to have more time to react in a life saving way in a disaster and emergency. It is important for you
    to "take time".

The reason you need to go out and discover these things is cause you know your needs, we do not,
    and there are too many variables in which our knowledge may or may not apply. others may or may not
    agree. But for instance if I tell you Yucca plants are a great food source, many don't know that, but would
    it help you if there are no yucca plants where you live?

So I offer you this...

1. Adapt or Die - Many people fail not cause they are incapable of succeeding but, because they
    are unwilling to change themselves or go out of their comfort zone to achieve their goal.

2. Time and Patience - No certificate in badassary will guarantee my safety.
    Nor will being the most expert of expert preppers. Something you just can't help. Maybe you planned and
    prepped to run out of food and water but instead die to an infection. Life has a funny way of humbling us, and showing
    us, no matter how in control we believe we are in our fate, some things are simply out of our control and no
    amount of self instilled piss and vinegar will change that.

Learn, but do so patiently, calmly, and over time, do so and you will do so in an emergency, or else risk
    being panicked and stressed your whole life about all challenges you face.
    Survival is greatly psychology first, skills second, and gear last.

Prepping is not a race to prepare for a disaster but instead a war to endure and outlast.

3. Learn to be at peace in times of peace,
    and learn to be at peace in times of war,
    but always be committed to the war you fight,
    and always be committed to a war to bring back peace.

This is much easier said than done, but once mastered is much
    easier done than said. As much as prepping is preparing for
    a conflict of man vs __________. Learning to live at peace in
    yourself is essential in all combat. Hesitation and doubt kills.

If your opponent is human, then be at peace with killing if necessary,
    but always hold onto the importance of the sanctity of life.

4. Learn to look at things mechanically.

If you learn to build a table, you can use that knowledge to build a chair,
    a bed frame, a house. Pattern recognition of the similarity between things
    is one of the most precious critical thinking skills. Remember everything
    has cause and effect, human action, changes in your environment etc.

Sometimes things that are not alike share some of the same traits and triggers.

Lots of niche knowledge is a gamble, but the ability to acquire knowledge
    based on your situation and how you apply it is what everyone should really strive for.

What is knowledge without the wisdom of how to use it?
    Last edited by SAR-1L; 02-05-2015 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling error :)
    Firearm & Personal Safety Training - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content ( Simple gear mod ideas & tutorials. )

Quote Originally Posted by SAR-1L View Post
    I understand and respect your ambition to learn the more rare tricks of the trade.
    I also worry this way of learning will not serve you as well as you or I both would hope.

The purpose of prepping is not only to survive but also to take time, to make proper preparation
    to have more time to react in a life saving way in a disaster and emergency. It is important for you
    to "take time".

The reason you need to go out and discover these things is cause you know your needs, we do not,
    and there are too many variables in which our knowledge may or may not apply. others may or may not
    agree. But for instance if I tell you Yucca plants are a great food source, many don't know that, but would
    it help you if there are no yucca plants where you live?

So I offer you this...

1. Adapt or Die - Many people fail not cause they are incapable of succeeding but, because they
    are unwilling to change themselves or go out of their comfort zone to achieve their goal.

2. Time and Patience - No certificate in badassary will guarantee my safety.
    Nor will being the most expert of expert preppers. Something you just can't help. Maybe you planned and
    prepped to run out of food and water but instead die to an infection. Life has a funny way of humbling us, and showing
    us, no matter how in control we believe we are in our fate, some things are simply out of our control and no
    amount of self instilled piss and vinegar will change that.

Learn, but do so patiently, calmly, and over time, do so and you will do so in an emergency, or else risk
    being panicked and stressed your whole life about all challenges you face.
    Survival is greatly psychology first, skills second, and gear last.

Prepping is not a race to prepare for a disaster but instead a war to endure and outlast.

3. Learn to be at peace in times of peace,
    and learn to be at piece in times of war,
    but always be committed to the war you fight,
    and always be committed to a war to bring back peace.

This is much easier said than done, but once mastered is much
    easier done than said. As much as prepping is preparing for
    a conflict of man vs __________. Learning to live at peace in
    yourself is essential in all combat. Hesitation and doubt kills.

If your opponent is human, then be at peace with killing if necessary,
    but always hold onto the importance of the sanctity of life.

4. Learn to look at things mechanically.

If you learn to build a table, you can use that knowledge to build a chair,
    a bed frame, a house. Pattern recognition of the similarity between things
    is one of the most precious critical thinking skills. Remember everything
    has cause and effect, human action, changes in your environment etc.

Sometimes things that are not alike share some of the same traits and triggers.

Lots of niche of knowledge is a gamble, but the ability to acquire knowledge
    based on your situation and how you apply it is what everyone should really strive for.

What is knowledge without the wisdom of how to use it?
    So very well said.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Treat every injury with immediate and thorough care.

As my body has aged, its ability to heal has diminished. In a SHTF situation certain prescribed treatments may not be readily available so get into the habit of treating even the smallest cut or scrape, the slightest sprain or whatever may happen with the utmost care.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR-1L View Post

to "take time".

and there are too many variables in which our knowledge may or may not apply. [/B]
    I would rate this the worse post of the year... it is physco babble at its worse

1st asking for guidance can provide a great reduction in wasted energy and mistakes
    2nd the purpose of prepping is to have the things/skills needed to survive
    3rd having things ready allows more time to react. - taking time to make proper preparation does not - it takes time
    4th. he took the TIME to ask for guidance - you wasted your time by posting CRAP... yes CRAP, a bunch of cut and paste advise that may have looked good and sound so smart but will not help provide food, water, shelter, security, or medical.

There are two ways to KNOW something - 1 by doing it yourself 2 compete authority. Compete authority will save you time and money and allows for the fact that "YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW"... others know what you do not know, you just have to ask questions..
    "Looking back what would you do different?
    What was the stupidest mistake you made?
    What was the biggest waste of money?
    What was the easy food to prep?
    what is the best source for oats?

We are here hopefully to learn and to teach.

I am a serious prepper, yet I just discovered that due to the oils in pancake mix they will go bad even if sealed in mylar w/ 02. If I had known I would have saved time, energy, mylar, pancake mix, and yes MONEY

if we are going to tell people "go and find out for yourself"... well HELL, lets close down this site and stop posting any of your wisdom and mistakes and just let people find out for themselves.

My advise....

Take a look at your need for Food, Water, Shelter, Security, Medical - ask yourself how long of an event you want to prepare for and then start getting ready for that x 2.
    Last edited by Maine-Marine; 02-05-2015 at 05:13 AM.
    Sasquatch and phrogman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    As a prepper I would score myself about a 65 on a scale of 1-100 as far as knowledge, supplies, etc. The entire reason I came here was to learn more and with that I'd like you guys to school me. We all know the basics but everyone has some little piece of knowledge most don't know or think about. So what small tip (on any prepping subject) can you teach me?
    Learn the uses of a simple quality full size single bit axe (3.5-4.5 lbs). Much more useful than any saw in bug out/in. An essential in northern climates.

How to use for: felling trees, splitting firewood, chopping into lengths, crude carpentry like log/timber buildings/hewing logs (skills in their own), butchering large animals, BF hammer, defense, when sharp a crude plane, splitting shingle shakes, chopping ice/holes for ice fishing (yes a chisel is better), a bludgeon for pulverizing many things (e.g. apples to make cider), ......

Know how to make a new handle and fit it, sharpen it.

When I go out in the woods > 1 week the little hatchets/saws don't "cut" it, pun intended, packing 2-3 more pounds is well worth it. At home have several axes.

Then we can move on to hand firewood processing, with real hand saws, mauls, wedges,.......

Lets start with felling a tree. Consider the nearby trees and and lean or defects/widowmakers in what you are felling. Clear the area and have several avenues of escape. Plan where to drop it and start your face cut to direct the tree leaving a hinge, ca. 1/3 through the tree. Begin the back cut towards the hinge. Be mindful during the whole process as branches above can snap or the whole tree break loose unexpectedly. Unlike doing the backcut with a saw, it is difficult to use a wedge to help in starting/directing the fall. Is all your equipment/friends farther away than than the tree is tall?
    Slippy, survival, Spice and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    As a prepper I would score myself about a 65 on a scale of 1-100 as far as knowledge, supplies, etc.
    I reject your self scoring.

after SHTF give it some time - then score yourself!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Learn the uses of a simple quality full size single bit axe (3.5-4.5 lbs). Much more useful than any saw in bug out/in. An essential in northern climates.

How to use for: felling trees, splitting firewood, chopping into lengths, crude carpentry like log/timber buildings/hewing logs (skills in their own), butchering large animals, BF hammer, defense, when sharp a crude plane, splitting shingle shakes, chopping ice/holes for ice fishing (yes a chisel is better), a bludgeon for pulverizing many things (e.g. apples to make cider), ......

Know how to make a new handle and fit it, sharpen it.

When I go out in the woods > 1 week the little hatchets/saws don't "cut" it, pun intended, packing 2-3 more pounds is well worth it. At home have several axes.

Then we can move on to hand firewood processing, with real hand saws, mauls, wedges,.......

Lets start with felling a tree. Consider the nearby trees and and lean or defects/widowmakers in what you are felling. Clear the area and have several avenues of escape. Plan where to drop it and start your face cut to direct the tree leaving a hinge, ca. 1/3 through the tree. Begin the back cut towards the hinge. Be mindful during the whole process as branches above can snap or the whole tree break loose unexpectedly. Unlike doing the backcut with a saw, it is difficult to use a wedge to help in starting/directing the fall. Is all your equipment/friends farther away than than the tree is tall?
    GOOD POST

I grew up in maine (timber country)... there was always somebody with a broken leg/arm/wrist...

Go ugly early figure that out and youll be ok.
    Slippy and Sasquatch like this.

I specialize in the unexciting: Protection is important, because injury and illness can be so devastating when you *need* to get things done. Compare packing that 2 oz of DEET or netting to chronic disability from a stupid tick bite, or the consequences of an infected blister because you didn't bother with gloves. What most preppers might not know: new and re-emergent diseases carried by insects and ticks are currently on the rise and can be very hard to diagnose and treat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links