Hunting Cabin Land as a BOL
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Hunting Cabin Land as a BOL within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm looking for some land to purchase as a BOL. I've got a shot list of 2 types of land that I can afford: 1 ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Seneca
  • 1 Post By csi-tech
  • 1 Post By Camel923
  • 1 Post By Spice
  • 3 Post By HuntingHawk

Thread: Hunting Cabin Land as a BOL

Banned

I'm looking for some land to purchase as a BOL.

I've got a shot list of 2 types of land that I can afford:

1 - fully serviced lots in some tiny town with neighbors, ie towns of 200 people. People to count on but more people that know how to find you.

2 - hunting cabin land. No one around to support you, but ofcourse there is still a road for the unlawful to find you.

What are your preferences here? Can you give me some insight?

If I planned on living in the city/large town and wanted a BOL, then the hunting cabin would work out nicely. If I were looking for a place to permanently relocate then perhaps a small town would be more in order. Some remote properties are listed as recreational and living there year round living is not permitted. Ideally I would look for a piece of property that I could live on year round if I wanted to and was close to a small town, yet far enough out to still be remote.
    tinkerhell likes this.

We don't have any choice. We are inheriting our property. It is land locked with no road in sight, gated, no other humans around, a lake, a couple of ponds loaded with fish, deer and turkey up the wazoo and no light pollution. We are very fortunate. I don't know if I could find a more remote location in our part of the state. I would get as far away from population centers as I could and see where the growth is happening. We live near Spring Hill TN and that place is expanding daily. I'd look at planning districts at City Hall to see which way they intend to annex. My parents bought 20 acres in the sticks. After they built their home there are zero lot line subdivisions surrounding them now. Their property value and taxes quadrupled in 4 years. Bad for them, yay me.
    tinkerhell likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I like being remote. Other than a small possibility of roving hoards of raiders, I would be able to manage renewable food sources so as to keep them for my own use or trade. 50 people in town or in the woods presents a serious threat.
    tinkerhell likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

We got hunting land. For the money we could spend, that's what we could buy that was big enough to do reliable backup water supply (pond) and a variety of fairly permanent food options (fish, deer, small game, wild edibles, gonna be fruit and nut trees, space for garden if we decide to do that). How much time to you plan to spend there? The neighbors won't necessarily be all chummy just because you paid for a lot. They're way more likely to have your back if you've got theirs: you're there for the fish fry, helping the elderly neighbor dig out of the snow, etc. Besides, there are lots of hunting cabin options within fifteen miles of small communities; to some extent it's the best of both worlds.
    tinkerhell likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

You & a thousand other people out there to shoot game.

Think of what you are going to invest in as your future retirement home. Enough space for a small garden & small livestock. Once you purchase it, get some fruit & nut trees planted.
    Camel923, tinkerhell and bigwheel like this.

If I were looking, I'd find an abandoned old farm with a salvageable house, and a few out-buildings for storage, animals, etc. A decent well should already be in, and electricity to the property. Probably already has a few fruit trees, fertile garden plot, etc. Could bring in a camper/trailer to stay in while fixing the place up.

Sponsored Links