The Line Between Prepper and Crazy. Where is that line?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The Line Between Prepper and Crazy. Where is that line? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I discovered the entirety of Doomsday Preppers season 1 posted on YouTube. I am going to refrain from posting any kind of link because I ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Line Between Prepper and Crazy. Where is that line?

I discovered the entirety of Doomsday Preppers season 1 posted on YouTube. I am going to refrain from posting any kind of link because I suspect they are not legally posted there.

Anyhow, watching some of these people really makes me question where the line between prepper and crazy rests. In watching this show, a lot of the people seem perfectly 'normal' and have families, jobs, and lives. Other people are just a little eccentric, yet others totally fit the hoarder or 'loose cannon' profile. Then you have these folks who are prepping for very specific events that are extremely unlikely to ever occur. They uproot their family to keep them safe from this type of event and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars prepping that goes beyond any kind of reasonable logic.

What do you guys think? Where is the line between crazy and prepper?
    Last edited by preppermama; 10-11-2012 at 07:09 PM.

When you run out of money.

Absolutely. I think spending all your money on prepping is a really bad decision.

I think organization of preps can be a real indicator as well. A lot of the folks whose food preps are all over the place, poorly stored, not labeled and rotated tend to strike me more as food hoarders than anything else. I think preppers should be highly organized and orchestrated in their activities to be the most effective with their prepping. I cringe seeing people with disorganized junk all over the place. I always think, 'Well that's great you got a lot of stuff, but how are you going to find any of it when TSHTF?'
    Last edited by preppermama; 10-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    PrepperRecon.com likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

On another site I am on, those people advertise for people to sign up with them to be on tv. First of all, they have all almost had trouble from Aunt you know who since then. I would avoid posting anything in relation to them in any way. I would't even make comments if I were you. Mum is the word !

Preppermama, I agree, a lot of people have created their own personal shtf moment by getting into debt preparing for something that may or may not happen. Preppers are "insuring" themselves against disaster by prepping. No one would go into debt to buy heath, home or auto insurance, but some people seem to lose that perception in prepping. Additionally, the fringe wing nuts make better TV ratings.
    preppermama likes this.
    "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I personally question why some of these people would even go on the show.

A. Everyone knows where you live once the show airs, effectively throwing your anonymity to the wind.
    B. People know in detail most of your preps. When TSHTF, guess whose house they're heading to: YOURS!
    C. Your secret bunker location isn't so secret anymore, inviting extra guests and unwanted looters.
    D. The government is going to red flag you and start monitoring your activities. Lots of preppers have had issues since going on the show.

Some of the preppers on the show actually made me cringe with their preps:
    - People storing 100s of small propane cylinders inside their house and sleeping quarters. If one of those propane seals were to fail, you could kill your whole family in the blink of an eye. Propane should never be stored in living quarters like that.
    - Bunkers with only one exit. What happens when the main door freezes shut or outsiders get mad at you and block your door from being able to open. That's a death sentence for your whole family.
    - The couple who had allegedly buried $30K in silver around their yard. HELLO? You're advertising this on national television. That's an invitation for people to come rob you.
    - Running generators without proper ventilation. There seems to be a whole fringe of people who own generators, but have no idea how to properly use them. I suspect if TSHTF for real, there would be a large number of people dieing off from carbon monoxide exposure as the result of improper generator ventilation. Happens at least once a year here in Maine.
    - The anti-gun preppers who think they're gonna be able to bug in or bug out and survive without weapons. I don't go camping in a normal state of affairs without a gun because it's easy to be robbed or attacked by an animal in the north woods. Those people will be the first to go.
    Last edited by preppermama; 10-11-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    generalagony likes this.

To be honest what if those shows reach out to people, get all of there information, SHTF, ROB THEM!!! It sound logical to me.

There are a lot of people out there who think anyone who stores more than a weeks worth of food has already crossed the line onto the crazy side.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercanlady View Post
    There are a lot of people out there who think anyone who stores more than a weeks worth of food has already crossed the line onto the crazy side.
    That's actually an excellent point. I guess 'crazy' is in the eye of the beholder.
    Denton and Irish like this.

well i dont worry about a lot of the variable im very quiet about being a prepper, but from my position stress being prepared. i have 2 community meetings a year, push bug out backs and being prepared for 2 weeks. as we are in earthquake land. but i wou,dnt go on tv if i was that paranoid digging holes in the ground , and i wish i could. lol some preppers are over the edge. i saw one show a gal was right nect to the capitol could even see it from living room windo. i mean shes close. she had rooms full of crap. is she serious? thats the first place the gobmint will take over she is in bad shape beign right next to the captiol martial law ground zero! some people just dont think. she says she bought there so she can watch the government. best place to watch the gubmint is from the hills, through binoculars. lol
    Irish and nadja like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links