Prepping for a Winter Disaster - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepping for a Winter Disaster

This is a discussion on Prepping for a Winter Disaster within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I cover the fuel gauge at half tank and below. Trains the wife to keep at least a half tank of fuel in the car ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Prepping for a Winter Disaster

I cover the fuel gauge at half tank and below. Trains the wife to keep at least a half tank of fuel in the car at all times.

Bottle of Brandy for "hand sanitizer" and fire starter.

Small steel cup for melting snow for drinking water and dried soap.

Laser for signaling for help.
    USPreppers and Slippy like this.

For those of you that buy and store gasoline at home. Please be careful and if at all possible store the gasoline or any fuel outside the house. During my time as a paramedic, the fire department responded to way too many fires that were linked to stored fuel igniting by vapors getting to a furnace, hot water heater or what ever. I store all my fuel including propane in outside shed. Also check your insurance policy. I've heard that if you store over a certain amount of fuels in your house or garage, the insurance won't pay up.
    survival likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Mom has a cat... we buy her the 15 pound reclosable jugs of litter and when they're empty we fill them with tap water and stow them in the basement... not to drink, but to fill the toilet tanks when the generator's not running.
    USPreppers and Slippy like this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Good list Survival, but the gasoline with Stabil struck a nerve. People, IMO, freak out way too much about "my gas is going bad, my gas is going bad" Bull Crap. Gasoline will last six months and still be good, perhaps longer.
    And just for the record, if I run out of gas, I rather have a full gas can than an empty one.
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.

Living in Wisconsin Prepping for a Winter Disaster is kind of normal . Each car has a winter bag in it with all you will need and some extra for others.
    The home is well prepared and has passed the test in the past. But it is good to review it from time to time.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Watch the local weather forecasts. If you are in the middle of a blizzard, STAY HOME, if at all possible. Had a niece who got stuck in the middle of a snow bank during a heavy snow storm. She had some rented DVD's that she wanted to return so that she didn't have to pay a late fee. We are lucking in that we have 3 fireplaces and keep enough firewood on hand to last most of the year. We also have a dual fuel Coleman camp stove that will run off either Coleman fuel or gasoline for another means of cooking. We also have duel fuel Coleman lanterns. Each vehicle has a bag in it with a complete change of warm clothing, a heat source, a thermal blanket, a MRE, some chocolate bars, flashlight w/extra batteries, and tanks are always kept above 1/2 full. If we hear of a snow storm coming all tanks are filled. We always keep water and food for an extended period of time on hand, year round.
    USPreppers and MrsInor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    There's more to this list, help me out folks:

Home:

Gasoline: As much as you can store that has stabil mixed in.
    Food: At least a weeks worth of canned meats or soups, the more the better. Extra food for pets.
    Heat: Firewood to last at least a week if power goes out. If using propane or natural gas, and electric is still on, get several portable space heaters for your home.
    Sanitary: Keep your laundry done up just in case power goes out. Keep plenty of toliet paper on hand as well as hand santizer.
    Medication: Start ordering extra medication now as well as stock up on flu/cold medications.

Car:
    Protect from Flu: Keep hand santizer on both side compartments of your vehicle. Each time you go in and out of a store this winter, use it. The passenger side will be for your passenger riding with you of course, insist they use it.

Empty gallon gas can in trunk: in case you run out of gas.

Old Cell phones with no service: Charge them up, give them to elder neighbors and show them how to dail 911. Explain the phone is free and that only 911 works in case of an emergency. Have them put it in their glove compartment (or purse).

Hand warmers
    Extra wiper blades
    Window scraper
    Tow strap (harbor freight has them for $12)
    Throw an apple in a ziploc, then in your car (it'll keep). For diabetics. Beef jerkey packs.
    Empty coffee cup (to melt snow).
    Cell phone and cig charger (along with towing numbers).
    Mini shovel (like the old military shovels).
    Flares
    Jumper cables
    TP
    BOB
    I don't see water listed for home or vehicle. at least a gallon a day per person and pet at home. In the car you should keep at least a gallon.
    I would add flashlights to both lists also. Also candles and oil lanterns at home.
    food in the car- I carry non perishables all year like granola bars, and jerky. I like to keep the new pouches of soup also. while you are heating the car you can throw one up on the dash over the defrost and have something hot to eat.
    Don't forget to add the baby wipes. handy in the car but also at home for washing up with. get the nice thick ones and they will work for a sponge bath when water is limited.
    MrsInor and survival like this.

It should be noted if it hasn't been already that snow to water is about 7 to 1 ratio. Seven cups snow for one of water.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    It should be noted if it hasn't been already that snow to water is about 7 to 1 ratio. Seven cups snow for one of water.
    and it is dirty. God's air filter.

Banned

In my situation, if I loose power, it renders my propane furnace useless so I have to fall back on my woodstove. not a big deal, but what if I throw out my back 2 days before the lights go out?

No offense, but no power causes people to die. If I didn't already have a back up generator, then I think it would be good to plan for one

. I suspect that many of you are skilled enough to not need electricity, but I think in a general sense, having electricity can take you from surviving to thriving.
    Jeep likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links