Currency vs. Goods
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Currency vs. Goods

This is a discussion on Currency vs. Goods within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; My am sure this topic has been done to death but since I am new perhaps you can humor me. I've been reading a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Currency vs. Goods

Currency vs. Goods

My am sure this topic has been done to death but since I am new perhaps you can humor me. I've been reading a lot on here and it seems lots of folks are stockpiling precious metals for use as currency after whatever event happens. Why is this? Is it the assumption that gold and silver will still hold value? I would think that trading goods would be the better route. I'd even go as far as stockpiling luxury items like tp, razors, make up, candy, coffee etc... I would think those things would hold more value than essentially useless rock.

Does it depend on the event? Something like a financial collapse would make sense but a much more dire event like a plague wouldn't be worth it.

Again I am new so go easy on me.

I agree with you, Doc. We are focused on stuff we actually use anyway. Who knows if silver will hole any trade value? But people will always have to wipe their rears. And apparently using moss and leaves gets old after a while......
    People are great. I like people. It's GROUPS of people that are terrible.

Retired Moderator

I am of the opinion that things to barter/trade is what will be needed. There are others that feel that precious medals are the way to go. I guess it depends on what happens and how long it lasts.
    hawgrider likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

I believe that in the early days of a s.h.t.f. situation many people will still be interested in trading for PMs and even cash. There will be people who have what you need, they may want booze, 9mm, or even toilet paper, you never know what they may value enough to trade for. PMs are just something that I suspect people may be willing to trade for and assuming you purchase PMs at a good price can also be resold for a profit unlike toilet paper if you suddenly need cash in 5 years.

Also after a disaster commerce will restart in small ways and PMs will hold some value in semi-organized trade.
    Last edited by 8301; 12-10-2014 at 09:48 PM.

I could see gold being useful if the banks failed because people would still be alive and most of the infrastructure would remain. But sb event like a epidemic, war, etc... The toll on human life would be do great that the real value would be in food and medicine.

Not much metal, but manufacture foods, fuels, sundries and meds. Hard to try and guess what we'll be dealt.
    MrsInor likes this.

Both. You will need trade items/skills to get by. Gold, silver and so on once things start to improve and you need to build wealth. Or be able to purchase items once stores have items to sell.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I have a simple mind set....I barely make enough to live and maybe save a few thousand a year. I could live for about 6 months on what I have saved...maybe a year max. In a true crisis where SHHTF...the cost of everything needed will rise so fast that it would last me a week to a month if that monetary system still held value at all. SO I choose to invest my limited resources on things that will also rise in value along with the things I need. call it barter bucks if you will.

This is why PM's hold no value in a true crisis SHTF but as an investment just hedging against normal market fluctuation...absolutely. when the time is right..but not a SHTF deal...and your lights going out isn't a SHTF, any more than a mild winter is a sign of Global warming.
    videodork likes this.

Bullets & beans for me!
    Old SF Guy and hawgrider like this.

Super Moderator

You'll notice there are plenty of threads existing that cover every conceivable angle on this.

Summary.

PMs are not currency. Gold and silver are actual examples of money. Currency is whatever is used, currently. Silver and gold will be valuable long after the federal reserve note is worthless.

When will they be worth having in a SHTF scenario? If things knock us back to the times before, say, fractional banking, or if the the system simply fails and you want to use the PMs to buy into whatever system replaces it.

How are PMs different than goods? PMs do not expire or rot. The silver I have today will be still as "fresh" in three hundred years, whereas other items will not. "Goods" are for barter, which is swapping one need for another. They are not for holding value or the storing of wealth.

IF we are kicked to a permanently "lights out" scenario, we will resort back to what humans have done since the beginning of time. The only thing that will take a little time is the weights and balances part of it.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links