Slow sand water filters
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Slow sand water filters

This is a discussion on Slow sand water filters within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Has anyone ever tried to construct a slow sand water filter? Any info, tips, designs? Iíve been reading up on the subject and considering trying ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Slow sand water filters

Super Moderator

Slow sand water filters

Has anyone ever tried to construct a slow sand water filter? Any info, tips, designs? Iíve been reading up on the subject and considering trying to construct one using 6Ē diameter pvc pipe. Any thoughts? Iím not interested in any links to articles as Iíve read at least a dozen of these. Iím interested if anyone has ever actually constructed one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to construct a slow sand water filter? Any info, tips, designs? Iíve been reading up on the subject and considering trying to construct one using 6Ē diameter pvc pipe. Any thoughts? Iím not interested in any links to articles as Iíve read at least a dozen of these. Iím interested if anyone has ever actually constructed one. Thanks!
    NMPRN likes this.
    My New Years' Resolution is 240p.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Super Moderator

BPH! Thanks! This is perfect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

BPH, you state in your video that your filter will not remove biological or parasitic matter.
    Is that due to the specific design you chose?

There are numerous designs that have been shown to remove both crypto and giardia, as well as viruses.
    A few examples:
    Review on Slow Sand Filtration in Removing Microbial Contamination and Particles from Drinking Water
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...and_Filtration

From what I've researched, the key to a good sand filter is the biological bloom you get in the sand layer. The gravel layers filter out larger particles, and the sand layer does this as well. But the real magic happens when the microscopic ecosystem of the sand layer kicks in. The microorganisms seek out and ingest the bad biological elements and parasitic spores that can cause gastric problems in humans. Keeping this layer moist and under slow water flow provides the optimal environment for it to establish itself and improve the effectiveness of this design.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Could a sand filter be improved by including diatomaceous earth in the design?

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    BPH, you state in your video that your filter will not remove biological or parasitic matter.
    Is that due to the specific design you chose?

There are numerous designs that have been shown to remove both crypto and giardia, as well as viruses.
    A few examples:
    Review on Slow Sand Filtration in Removing Microbial Contamination and Particles from Drinking Water
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...and_Filtration

From what I've researched, the key to a good sand filter is the biological bloom you get in the sand layer. The gravel layers filter out larger particles, and the sand layer does this as well. But the real magic happens when the microscopic ecosystem of the sand layer kicks in. The microorganisms seek out and ingest the bad biological elements and parasitic spores that can cause gastric problems in humans. Keeping this layer moist and under slow water flow provides the optimal environment for it to establish itself and improve the effectiveness of this design.

I only designed it and intend it to filter particulate material. I'll use the Berkey filters for biologicals and chemicals.
    paulag1955 and Kauboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Could a sand filter be improved by including diatomaceous earth in the design?
    Okay, I think I answered my own question. Yes, diatomaceous earth could be a good addition to a water filtration system. If properly constructed, it would filter out parasites such as giardia. Depending on the quality of the earth used, it could even filter out some bacteria and viruses. HOWEVER, it does come with a possible/probably drawback. Based on my past experience with diatomaceous earth filters, the earth can settle and block water flow. In a swimming pool filter, there's a way to backflush it to loosen the earth from the filter. I'm not sure how this could be accomplished in a DIY water filter. Something worth thinking about, though.
    Kauboy likes this.

My take away from BPH's video is: my survival depends on eating 5 gallons of ice cream, ...I'm on it!
    Kauboy and paulag1955 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NMPRN View Post
    My take away from BPH's video is: my survival depends on eating 5 gallons of ice cream, ...I'm on it!
    Make it 15 gallons. I have three complete kits built.
    Chiefster23 and NMPRN like this.

...I better get started

kidding aside, where'd you get the activated charcoal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links