Resurgence in c.b. radio use - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Resurgence in c.b. radio use

This is a discussion on Resurgence in c.b. radio use within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Captjim_NM I got caught in an ice storm in New Mexico, I40 did not move for 3 days. First thing I did ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Resurgence in c.b. radio use

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Captjim_NM View Post
    I got caught in an ice storm in New Mexico, I40 did not move for 3 days. First thing I did was buy a CB even though I was a amateur radio operator. On road conditions the truckers are the first to know. Now I am retired and still want a CB for road trips even with my ham gear. de KA5SIW
    You would be surprised but I have found that there are truckers using 2m/440.

Super Moderator

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Good thread. I had one in my 1970 VW square back and 1972 VW van...

Was thinking down this line the other day when I pulled out my walkie talkies from their faraday cage, made sure they were charged and played around with them abit. I think a portable CB might be a start. I have VHF radios on my boat, handheld and fixed, and a SW receiver.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Sitting out in a field on a hill, I found a bunch of freedom loving Americans on lsb

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Stupid question time. How does a CB radio differ from a VHF radio? Are they interchangeable, is there any crossover in use or are they two entirely different platforms of communication?

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi45 View Post
    Stupid question time. How does a CB radio differ from a VHF radio? Are they interchangeable, is there any crossover in use or are they two entirely different platforms of communication?
    CB is in the 27MHz range. VHF is 30-300.
    CB is buy a radio, use it. VHF is buy a radio, take a test, get a license, THEN you can use it (legally).
    Antenna and radio theory are pretty much the same between the two.
    My New Years' Resolution is 240p.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

CB, based on Freq ( if power was same) should have better range?
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    CB is in the 27MHz range. VHF is 30-300.
    CB is buy a radio, use it. VHF is buy a radio, take a test, get a license, THEN you can use it (legally).
    Antenna and radio theory are pretty much the same between the two.
    Thank you. When I think of VHF radios, I think of boats. Are all those boat operators with a VHF on board supposed to be licensed?

I "registered" with the USGC by calling them out, they answered, took my name, copied my radio and boat info and I was on my way.
    Bucket-Back since 2004

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    CB, based on Freq ( if power was same) should have better range?
    Your basic CB that truckers and hunters use has about a 5 mile range, depending on conditions.
    Lots of Southern pine trees around will drastically reduce range.
    Sitting on top of Brasstown Bald mountain in North Georgia and your range will be much much greater.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Your basic CB that truckers and hunters use has about a 5 mile range, depending on conditions.
    Lots of Southern pine trees around will drastically reduce range.
    Sitting on top of Brasstown Bald mountain in North Georgia and your range will be much much greater.
    So, I couldnt put an antenna on my roof, with customary tennis ball on it, to over reach the trees?
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links