Converting your lawn to a garden - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Converting your lawn to a garden

This is a discussion on Converting your lawn to a garden within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Don’t know. Maybe the ground in my neighborhood isn’t very good. All I’m saying is to test or try a trial run ahead of time ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Converting your lawn to a garden

Super Moderator

Don’t know. Maybe the ground in my neighborhood isn’t very good. All I’m saying is to test or try a trial run ahead of time to ensure you garden plan is workable. It would really suck if you were planning on living on your harvest only to have it fail because your ground wasn’t suitable for your vegetable garden.

I don’t even plant in my ground anymore. I use all raised beds filled with 100% mushroom compost. I plant less than half the area now and harvest about twice the produce. But I realize this is not a viable long turn option if circumstances turn to hell.
    Redneck and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Donít know. Maybe the ground in my neighborhood isnít very good. All Iím saying is to test or try a trial run ahead of time to ensure you garden plan is workable. It would really suck if you were planning on living on your harvest only to have it fail because your ground wasnít suitable for your vegetable garden.

I donít even plant in my ground anymore. I use all raised beds filled with 100% mushroom compost. I plant less than half the area now and harvest about twice the produce. But I realize this is not a viable long turn option if circumstances turn to hell.
    This is one reason why I keep so many garden tools in storage... including rakes. I figure during a crisis, I will need to amend the soil in the newly created plots. I have lots of woods surrounding my property & I plan on harvesting those fallen leaves each fall to add to those plots. I even do that now, but without raking. If I drive into Memphis during the fall, all these residential streets are lined with row upon row of bagged leaves. So I just load up my truck each trip and bring those leaves home. I top off my compost piles and within a year I have loads of lovely compost. Lately, my son & daughter in law have brought me their leaves. That is real easy.

Another way around this is to choose garden plants that do well in poor soil. That would include okra, cowpeas, turnips, sweet potatoes, and of course my #1 prepper crop... amaranth. As you say, now is the time to test what works in your soil... not after the crisis.
    Chiefster23 and Slippy like this.

Super Moderator

In past years when I had in-ground garden plots, I added trailer loads of compost to my ground every year. My township maintains a large compost faciltiy where all leaves and grass clippings are dumped. I just loaded up a few trailer loads of free, well composted materials and used that every spring. Now i realize that this stuff probably contained some chemicals but I chose very well decomposed material that was basically ‘black dirt’. The stuff had been rotting for years. This stuff never caused me any problems and my gardens did very well. But I realize I was lucky to have this free resource and few others can obtain mountains of free compost.

Suggestion! If your municipality collects leaves and grass clippings, call and ask where they dump and you might be able to obtain large amounts of free compost too.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Suggestion! If your municipality collects leaves and grass clippings, call and ask where they dump and you might be able to obtain large amounts of free compost too.
    Funny you said that. A few years back we stopped one of those big trucks that vacuums up leaves from the curbs. We asked if they would dump their load on the back of my parking lot at work... and they did. Beauty of that is, those trucks also shred & pack those leaves nice and tight. So each day, I would load the back of my pickup with the leaves & haul to the farm. Took me quite a while but man, did I ever have a lot of leaves for compost!

I would never use grass clippings from an outside source. Too many chemicals are sprayed on such lawns.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links