Alternative to Amazon? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alternative to Amazon?

This is a discussion on Alternative to Amazon? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Nick As much as I hate pushing Walmart they have free 2 day shipping and great return policies also. I did most ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Alternative to Amazon?

Super Moderator

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    As much as I hate pushing Walmart they have free 2 day shipping and great return policies also. I did most of my Xmas shopping on Walmart.com.
    Yeah.. have used them in the past. I recently found out that our local Walmart isn’t enforcing the mask mandate.

But my wife hates Walmart and I’m not fond of them either given most of what they sell is Chinese crap.
    Michael_Js, Denton and Slippy like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I must confess, Jeff Bezo's got me hooked. Amazon is just too darned convenient. I get movies, exercise videos, music, "free" shipping and returns at great prices. It makes Christmas shopping sooo much easier. I don't have to leave my house. Ever. I mean it. For the rest my life (besides church, doctors appts and the range.) I don't think the Jeffster can do anything about those places yet. Plus they give a small % to my fave charity.
    My kingdom for a horse?
    Denton, MountainGirl and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    I sure cannot disagree with you. Amazon has made it so easy and yes, they give to one of my charities. Shopping is simple, quick and returns are a breeze. Movies and books galore too.

But that’s over. Period.

Over dinner I mentioned to my wife that I’d treat amazon like any other vendor. If they have a better price I’d buy from them... that didn’t go over so well. I got “the look”. Needless to say, we will not be using them for anything.

As an example I ordered the portable radio with HAM frequencies direct from the vendor instead of Amazon. I paid a few bucks more in shipping but it wasn’t amazon.
    I like your wife. Get her signed up here!!
    Denton, Piratesailor and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My problem with Walmart has been their virtue signaling BS.

What was it, two years ago? They decided they didn't want to potentially contribute to the mass shootings that the media hyped as plaguing the country, so they took the (not so) principled stance of doing away with common calibers of ammunition.
    Ok, I can respect a store for taking a stand and taking a hit based on their own ethics.
    Oh... but that's not what they did.

They took a stand alright, but took no hit.
    Instead of pulling the offending ammunition from their shelves and eating that cost, as an ethical business would do to show their morals, they continued to sell it but stated they would order no more.
    They still wanted their money, they didn't care if those last few thousand rounds across the country were possibly going to be used against innocent people in the next shooting, and they sold them anyways.
    It was virtue signaling of the highest repugnant order. The drooling masses thought Walmart was saintly for their "stand" against gun violence, all while ignoring the blatant hypocrisy of continuing to sell the death bullets.

I've done my best to avoid that store ever since.
    I was solid in my persistence for the first year and a half. I regret to say I've been in at least 4 times since. :-(
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I must confess, Jeff Bezo's got me hooked. Amazon is just too darned convenient. I get movies, exercise videos, music, "free" shipping and returns at great prices. It makes Christmas shopping sooo much easier. I don't have to leave my house. Ever. I mean it. For the rest my life (besides church, doctors appts and the range.) I don't think the Jeffster can do anything about those places yet. Plus they give a small % to my fave charity.
    Annie this is why we will lose.
    KUSA, SGG, stevekozak and 3 others like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Living in the boonies, it is easier and cheaper to buy non perishable food, paper products, and other grocery store items from Walmart online , than cranking up the truck and driving into town.
    To the only grocery store in town. To find half empty shelves. And pay 20% more than Walmart.
    Plus, FedEx brings it and drops it over the gate. Fire up the mower and cart, drive out to the gate, load up.
    Bada bing!!! Done.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    There used to be this cool thing you could do, where you got off your furniture, got in your means of conveyance (sometimes shanks-mare)transported yourself down to a shop/store/business, and purchased items of value from the proprietors. It was a short-lived system, to be sure. The concept only lasted a few thousand years. Thank God Amazon came along...
    Easy to say if you live an easy drive from these stores. Not everyone does. In some areas of Washington State, it's an hour and a half to everywhere and when you get "there," your choices may be limited. It's an extra half hour to get to a town where you know you'll be able to find anything you need. Amazon is a godsend in rural areas.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

What about Costco??

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Easy to say if you live an easy drive from these stores. Not everyone does. In some areas of Washington State, it's an hour and a half to everywhere and when you get "there," your choices may be limited. It's an extra half hour to get to a town where you know you'll be able to find anything you need. Amazon is a godsend in rural areas.
    I highly doubt God has a thing to do with Amazon. Just a guess.

I'm in a conundrum, I have an amazon CC, I watch Prime Video , I use Alexa for internet radio, my wife and I are hooked on Kindle and I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon that I can't get locally.

I would love to tell them to kiss my grits, but it really would not do much anyhow !

The problem is we are too much dependent on Big Tech to simplify our lives, Boycotting Big-tech is not going to work,

There must be a way to financially cripple them or at least put a hurt on .
    Slippy likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links