Prepping - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepping

This is a discussion on Prepping within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by NMPRN Three things I'm currently working on: 1) I need to find a rototiller/cultivator to stash in the shed. If I ever ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Prepping

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NMPRN View Post
    Three things I'm currently working on:

1) I need to find a rototiller/cultivator to stash in the shed. If I ever need to till up my suburban backyard lawn to plant a garden, I don't want to do it by hand.

2) Improve my rain water collection plan. (not sure how yet) I live in a dry climate but we get a useful amount of rain if I can find a better way to store it.

3) Build a solar oven. A good one, not the flaky POS's you see on the internet. All the firewood around here (like all the game animals) will be picked clean in a few weeks.
    If you are just planning to till your yard and plant “as-is”, I think you will probably be disappointed with your harvest. I decent garden takes good ground and chances are your lawn isn’t up to par. You might seriously consider starting now with turning a portion of your yard into garden and see how it produces. That will give you some indication of what you might need to do to supplement your soil later on. I tried the “till and plant” approach once time and my results were very disappointing.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    The seed companies are mailing out catalogs so I assume there are plenty of seeds available. I over bought last fall. Seriously, I could supply the whole neighborhood. But I may buy more this spring.
    I over bought for a reason. They are stored. I can supply us and our neighbors for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    I hear ya bout doing it from scratch, and I wish I had done that. So, I have 2 55 gal water barrels in there for the heat absorption. On the entire north wall, I put in reflective 1/2" thermal foam boards to block cold coming in and to reflect the southern light - when there is any. During a sunny day, it still gets to about 80+ degrees in there, however, without the sun (typical PNW as you know) it's about 5 degrees warmer than outside. Concrete blocks would be easy to do and not that expensive. Maybe another project this year...

We'll see how this goes...I want to make better use from the greenhouse investment that we have over the past 2 years...

Peace,
    Michael J.
    I have not figured out a good way to make use of mine. It's too cold and there's not enough light to use it for starting seeds. By the time it's warm enough outside, I can direct seed. I think it would be an even worse investment for the Grand Coulee place.
    Michael_Js likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    If you are just planning to till your yard and plant “as-is”, I think you will probably be disappointed with your harvest. I decent garden takes good ground and chances are your lawn isn’t up to par. You might seriously consider starting now with turning a portion of your yard into garden and see how it produces. That will give you some indication of what you might need to do to supplement your soil later on. I tried the “till and plant” approach once time and my results were very disappointing.
    Your very right about this point. Just pulling up the grass, turning the soil and planting will get you something but not much.

As an example, we will plow up part of a pasture, bring in good organic soil to mix with the exciting dirt and also mix in a significant amount of compost. This has shown us to be a pretty good method that we did with our raised beds.

Normal lawn soil usually won’t suffice.
    inceptor, Slippy and Liberty Lady like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I over bought for a reason. They are stored. I can supply us and our neighbors for a couple of years.
    Yes, it was my intention to be able to share, too, because sharing seeds with your neighbors is better than having to shoot them for stealing your food. But I confess that as I was doing it, it felt like panic buying.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I need to spend time building more waist high raised beds. I basically have very little yard and a portion of that is a steep slope. Add to that 2 large trees and my growing space is limited. So I am mostly limited to my patio and a small strip beside the house. My wife doesn't want one in the driveway but, if things get bad, I don't think she will object. There is also the garage. I do have the ability to grow inside. That would take some work but I could make it happen.
    For raised container gardening I use a tall IBC tote (roughly the 350 gallon size. I cut it in half and put a pallet under the flipped over top half so I can move them with the tractor. You can set them up with a water reservoir in the bottom so you can go a week or two without watering which makes life easier for me. I have 4 of them, one planted in onions which I overwinter and a bit of garlic in another. The rest of the space is for seasonal veggies like lettuce and tomatoes.
    While not exactly how I do it here is a video of a guy doing something similar. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D&&FORM=VDRVRV

We've got a large outdoor garden area but it takes so much time to maintain it we've switched over to container planting.
    inceptor, Slippy and Liberty Lady like this.

For sure. There will also be chain saw accidents and tree-felling disasters.
    Not to mention all of the serious leg injuries from people trying to learn to split wood with a maul.
    Slippy likes this.

Super Moderator

Yes, it was my intention to be able to share, too, because sharing seeds with your neighbors is better than having to shoot them for stealing your food. But I confess that as I was doing it, it felt like panic buying.
    I started doing this before I got into gardening. The reason I joined the Master Gardeners was to start learning about gardening. I grew up in the city. No one had a garden except for people who live a whole lot farther out. Veggies were something that Kroger had. I did learn a few things before the shut down. But the best part was access to the information I needed. We have tried once already and our harvest was minimal. So I'll be starting again soon. February is planting season here in Texas. I'll eventually get it right.

The majority of my seeds were bought in storage containers. Some I've had for quite a while. I have others in the freezer and more in a small frig. Hedging my bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    If you are just planning to till your yard and plant “as-is”, I think you will probably be disappointed with your harvest.
    Yeah, I didn't think about that, the 'soil' around here is pretty much just sand. Couldn't I just build up the lawn with compost and manure or something? ...there's enough dog poop out there to feed an Iowa corn farm

I did go to the range the other day. Shot an SKS, FN FAL, Revolver and some other stuff. Learned different weapons, loading, etc.. May seem simple to some. But when you pick up an unfamiliar tool, its over whelming sometimes.
    Wife actually went and got a solar powered and hand crank radio after Wed. Just compulsive buy..
    New years, I bought a bunch of MREs online. Little alcohol induced purchase.. Oh well.
    Elvis and Michael_Js like this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links